Sponsored

Unable to pass "safety" part of inspection anymore due to off-road H-pipe.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sanel
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT 2017 Ford Escape 2.0T
So, a little back story, I live in PA, in Cumberland County. Cumberland County is one of the counties in my state that do an emission test with the safety test. I've passed every year with my 2014 Mustang GT, since 2015, that includes the same set up: 3 inch exhaust, muffler, and off-road H-pipe. The vehicle throws no CEL's, passes smog and OBD Emissions test with all codes ready, due to my tune. So, they happily gave me my emission sticker. Now, this year they gave my emission sticker, but failed me on my safety, because of not having any catalytic convertors. I told them that cats have nothing to do with the safety of a vehicle, and that the county that vehicle is registered is exempt from a visual exhaust inspection as long as you pass the emission part. . I pulled up the laws for them, but they weren't having it. They stressed that it needs to have cats to pass. I even told them that they didn't need to do a visual check, since the vehicle passed emission and that we're in a county where there is an exemption for anti-tampering check.

I've looked up the law beforehand and all it says about the exhaust for the safety part of the inspection is that it needs mufflers.

175.75. Exhaust Systems (a) Condition of Exhaust System - All components of the exhaust system shall be in safe operating condition as described in §175.80 (relating to inspection procedure). (b) Exhaust System Requirements - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or a passenger, in addition to requirements of this title for an emission control system and smoke control for a diesel-powered vehicle. (1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noisesuppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair. (2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels). (3) Headers and side exhaust are permitted if the vehicle meets the requirements of this section. (4) An exposed exhaust system shall be equipped with an adequate heat shield or protective system. (5) An exhaust system shall extend and discharge completely to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed. (6) A firefighting vehicle is exempt from regulations concerning exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.

One of the state inspection worker told me is they're afraid of being audited and they're cracking down on people with modified cars and said I need to bring in the car in STOCK form to pass. Again, i told them they passed me many times before and that they aren't breaking any laws, but he just said "sorry I can't help you".

So, my question is how, do you guys get around this? Should I just get cat cutouts? get high flow cats? find another shop? (but now it looks sketchy that I have two different stickers, so I don't know how well that will play out.
Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
He is a retard, resonator is not necessary. If you are using oem mufflers and manifold in place its not breaking any law. Unless your states specify that modifying anything to the exhaust system makes it illegal to use in the street, if thats the case then you will need to go back welding or using clamp to put back in place your resonator. Sucks i know

I don't think electric cutout would pass more. Its just even more alarming for them that you install that and they see you can bypass cat converter by the push of a button.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
How did you pass emissions without the cats? Seems odd. I could see passing the safety part and failing the emissions.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My question .........How did he find out the car had the H pipe ? If he used his hearing dyno, did not like the sound the answer is.......... That's the way it came from the factory, totally stock ????? Of course this is to late, cause you have now been flagged.

Sometimes being (acting) dumb is smarter..

Thats very suspicious, him knowing about an H pipe ....... even if he looked with the car on a rack. No way to prove it was not factory.

Assuming the work was done properly and looks factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sanel
Vehicle(s)
How did you pass emissions without the cats? Seems odd. I could see passing the safety part and failing the emissions.
I have an emission tune that I load into the car before every state inspection.

My question .........How did he find out the car had the H pipe ? If he used his hearing dyno, did not like the sound the answer is.......... That's the way it came from the factory, totally stock ????? Of course this is to late, cause you have now been flagged.

Sometimes being (acting) dumb is smarter..

Thats very suspicious, him knowing about an H pipe ....... even if he looked with the car on a rack. No way to prove it was not factory.

Assuming the work was done properly and looks factory.
They put the car on a lift when they do inspections here in PA.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think he is acting under federal law which states you cannot remove or disable any emissions part. You said you removed the Cats which is against Federal law.

Last edited:

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
If you don't have cat and went for inspection your running after troubles man. Lucky you don't get huge fine for that

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Wait. Tell me more of this emissions tune. This work in CA?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Sponsored

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
I would just go to another shop. It’s the inspectors license on the line if they get audited or anything comes back so you can’t really blame them. Find somebody who will pass it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
as long as you pass the emission part.
CANNOT pass an emissions test without cats, but you already knew that, right? :D. At any rate, can't weasel your way out of that one man. Get sport cats, but find out what are the minimum cells for compliance first. Good luck.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sanel
Vehicle(s)
Wait. Tell me more of this emissions tune. This work in CA?
It's a tune that gives ready checks on the smog testing machines. It should work anywhere where they do emission testing. The issue that you will run to like I did is at the visual inspection part.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sanel
Vehicle(s)
CANNOT pass an emissions test without cats, but you already knew that, right? :D. At any rate, can't weasel your way out of that one man. Get sport cats, but find out what are the minimum cells for compliance first. Good luck.

But I did pass the emission part test without cats. The emission part is just OBD II test and a smog machine test. I used a tune made by my tuner. The issue is the safety part of the inspection, which is a visual one. So, I think i'm going to get one of these http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-320.html

And have it welded right where the cat is. I never like cats on these cars, it really effects the sound and performance.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Catless sounds like shit, so raspy and what to say about the smell. Your only breathing nasty v8 emission after all. Its your health
Sponsored