Sponsored

Have any of you changed the MT-82 and Torsen fluids really early???

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Just adding an option that I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread yet. I swapped my trans fluid at 15k miles to Motul DCTF as it met the oem spec and was reviewed well. It eliminated my gear nibble completely and I have been very happy with it. BG II is a very popular option but I have no experience with it to offer a comparison. Just tossing this out here
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
BG is recommending I go with 75/140, even though I'll never track my car. I live in a hot climate (TX), but I think their 75W-90 would be more than enough IMO. Thoughts? Hey Mike, what's the official correct level for the Torsen? I don't know who to believe with the fill amount. The Motorcraft official fluid document calls for 2-qts, my owner's manual 1.7 qts (with the FM added), and BG 1.8 qts. And BG includes a plastic dipstick that looks like a zip-tie with a 90-deg bend and a dab of paint. Comments welcome :D.
This is what shop manual calls for and it makes no differentiation between Trak-lok or Torsen :
Check and top off the differential with clean differential gear lubricant. The differential gear lubricant level should
be within 9mm (0.354 in.) from the fluid level fill plug opening.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hey gang, with less than 3 quarts in the tranny, and less than 2 in the Torsen, it should be quite cheap to replace the fluid in both. I've read in every instance that the diff fluid always comes out nasty, so with such an expensive differential (and with no filter), why not change it along with the first or second oil change? And the tranny is not the most robust manual, so it'd also benefit from new fluid without all the break-in crap (and possible test-drive abuse), no? The good news is Torsens have both drain and fill plugs, so zero mess. Hope the fluids are not that expensive, but there're only 5 total.

I'm planning to change the oil around 1k miles (350 now), before a long trip in July. It might be too early to change the tranny and differential at 1K too, but maybe by the second oil change 5K miles later. Those definitely produce a lot more break-in crap than the engine, especially the differential, so why not give them fresh fluid early in their lives, so they live longer and healthier? :D Finally, do Torsens need the friction modifier menitoned in the manual, or just the clutch-type LSDs? I'm pretty sure it's not needed on the Torsens, but want to make sure :). Thanks gang. All comments welcome, even if it's against what I want to do:angel:.
JC
Changing the fluid in anything that has metal on metal contact after its initial break in period is smart. Not because the fluid breaks down, but because the most metal will be removed from the surfaces as they mate together in those first few thousand miles. As this happens the metal particles are constantly being circulated through the bearings in the diff and the transmission. You want to remove those particles from the oil so that the bearings aren't constantly subject to the grit in the oil. Wait a few thousand miles then change the fluid. (and clean the magnets on the drain plugs) After that, your good to go for a long time.

Callimer cocktail for the transmission, Amsoil 75-110 for the rear diff.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Hey Mike, what's the official correct level for the Torsen? I don't know who to believe with the fill amount. The Motorcraft official fluid document calls for 2-qts, my owner's manual 1.7 qts (with the FM added), and BG 1.8 qts. And BG includes a plastic dipstick that looks like a zip-tie with a 90-deg bend and a dab of paint. Comments welcome :D.
Shoot its been a long time so I don’t remember the exact distance below the fill hole but I’m thinking it was something like 8mm-ish. You’ll have to find the number somewhere else. But I also went through the 140 vs 75 weight debate and it’s worked out fine so far.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
For what its worth, OEM trans fluids are usually very thin for cold weather use. Its unlikely you'll improve upon that aspect going aftermarket. Thicker gear oils can mask synchro drag which is why it usually feels better after you swap.

Look up the spec sheets for the OEM fluid part number and look at the viscosity ratings in centistokes at 40 and 100c, and then compare to some of the aftermarket ones.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Look up the spec sheets for the OEM fluid part number and look at the viscosity ratings in centistokes at 40 and 100c, and then compare to some of the aftermarket ones.
Yeah Ford fluid is 6cSt@100 which is pretty damn thin. Though the aftermarket is clustered around 8 which isn't really that far off. But in this case small changes have outsized effects I guess. I suspect the thinness is also another lame attempt to increase MPG and thus CAFE scores. Forget the protest of the day, I want the heads of the people who came up with CAFE and the ever more unreasonable movement of the goal posts' heads on a pike.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Shoot its been a long time so I don’t remember the exact distance below the fill hole but I’m thinking it was something like 8mm-ish. You’ll have to find the number somewhere else. But I also went through the 140 vs 75 weight debate and it’s worked out fine so far.
It's literally in two posts above yours (my post - direct quote from manual - 9mm for the diff).

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
It's literally in two posts above yours (my post - direct quote from manual - 9mm for the diff).
Wow my memory’s better than I thought!

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I swapped my trans fluid at 15k miles to Motul DCTF as it met the oem spec and was reviewed well. It eliminated my gear nibble completely and I have been very happy with it.
Hey, thank you very much for your input. But have an important question for you: Did you use it in winter already? I don't want ANY issues in winter, since it gets in the 40s here for months too. I really like that your fluid meets Ford's spec. Will look it up.
Oh, and one last question: What did you do for the quantity? Did you fill the tranny until fluid drained out? Or poured exactly the 2.7-qt quantity the manual calls for? Please provide details :D. Thank you.

This is what shop manual calls for and it makes no differentiation between Trak-lok or Torsen: The differential gear lubricant level should be within 9mm (0.354 in.) from the fluid level fill plug opening.
Excellent! Thanks a lot for that info. It should help others too :).

For what its worth, OEM trans fluids are usually very thin for cold weather use. Its unlikely you'll improve upon that aspect going aftermarket. Thicker gear oils can mask synchro drag which is why it usually feels better after you swap. Look up the spec sheets for the OEM fluid part number and look at the viscosity ratings in centistokes at 40 and 100c, and then compare to some of the aftermarket ones.
Excellent points; thank you very much too for your great help. Hey, do you have any info on Motorcraft's MT-82 additive? It's this: https://www.steeda.com/motorcraft-xl-18-mustang-mt82-transmission-additive . My other option is to stick with OEM, and add that additive... but not sure what it'd do. Steeda said Ford issued a TSB for that additive, but couldn't find absolutely anything. Maybe that's why D4s don't seem to benefit from BG SynchroShift II fluid, since Ford has been using DCT fluid since 2011.

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Hey, thank you very much for your input. But have an important question for you: Did you use it in winter already? I don't want ANY issues in winter, since it gets in the 40s here for months too. I really like that your fluid meets Ford's spec. Will look it up.
Oh, and one last question: What did you do for the quantity? Did you fill the tranny until fluid drained out? Or poured exactly the 2.7-qt quantity the manual calls for? Please provide details :D. Thank you.
The fluid was put in this past December and I have driven in below freezing temps but the car is garaged at night though. The coldest the car has been would be just being parked outside at work on those cold days. The “nibble” diminished over a few hundred miles and was nearly completely gone. It’s completely gone now but temps are warmer now. So I will have to wait and see how it is this winter. That’s as well as I can explain it and I’m just sharing my experience. I hope it helps.

As for fill, I did the fill til it comes out of the fill hole method while the car was flat. It ended up being a tiny bit over but very close to the recommended fill of 2.7 qts.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That was awesome help man; greatly appreciated. My car is always garaged as well, and with summer tires, will never be driven at freezing temperatures, so sounds like your fluid is the way to go. Will look it up tomorrow. And glad that we can go by the fill plug, rather than the charade of having to measure the fluid. That way, I can just pump it in, and expect to get filled when the 3rd quart is almost gone. Thanks again brother. By the way, I checked my car yesterday, and it's perfectly level in my garage, so will get it to the same stance when doing the tranny and differential service. On the differential, level is 9mm below the fill plug, so that will take me longer, I guess.

Does Redline make a better fluid than BG for the Torsen too? Thx.

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Does Redline make a better fluid than BG for the Torsen too? Thx.
I dont want to give you any bad info. I have no experience with either brand and I haven't swapped my diff fluid yet. Just want to be honest.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Okay, brother. Thank you for your honesty. I'm probably more torn what to do with viscosity than brand. Some said to stick with stock (75/85), most to 75/90, several to 75/110, and many more (including Optimum Performance) to 75/140, even though I told them I'd never track the car. So who the hell knows. Ha ha. Since I won't track my car, and where I live it gets very hot, but also cold (several months in the 100s, and in the 40s too), I'm inclined to get 75/90, which is only slightly more viscous than stock. That's exactly what I'll do with the engine oil, going from 5/20 to 0/30 to have better protection (and quicker lubrication) in both seasons. Curious to hear your take. I think both BG and Redline make it, and also think both offer the LS friction modifier already mixed.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
I changed my trans to BG synchroshift at~2k miles because of the nibble going into gears. That feeling grates on my soul. The BG fluid definitely changed the feel of the shifter. Notchy isn't the right word, but there was significantly more resistance as it hit the synchro at all temperatures. The nibble was eliminated, so I was happy. I also got the pleasure of driving with this fluid at -40 degrees for a couple days, and I didn't notice shifting issues. At -40 it's hard to notice anything aside from cold though.
At 25K miles, I had some dealer service where they ended up draining the trans and replacing the fluid with OEM, so I got a good reminder of why the BG fluid was in there. I lasted a month before swapping it out for the motorcraft DCT fluid.
This stuff is my favorite. No nibble, but also no harshness while going past the synchros. I haven't driven this stuff colder than about 80 degrees, and only for about 1k miles so far, but I like it.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I've done with changing fluids that are sensitive to having the correct level (like ATF) is to measure the amount that comes out, and then pour the same amount back in. Helps me to keep from overfilling, and then I can cautiously add a bit more if needed.

I have 37k on the car and haven't changed anything but the engine oil. I am tempted to try the BG trans oil to see if it makes things smoother, although I have few complaints now. If it was an auto trans I wouldn't deviate from OEM, but with a manual I can't see the harm.
Sponsored