Sponsored

Track Attack registration now open!

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully it all works out soon and you can experience it. You won't be disappointed.

My car had like 150 miles on it when I got in it in the morning IIRC. They will all be broken in by the time you tear it up, so you'll get to go even faster!

On edit:

I took some quick shots of everyone's ride before the day was done.

20200602_132304-3-X2.jpg

20200602_132154-2-X2.jpg

20200602_132226-3-X2.jpg

20200602_131942-2-X2.jpg

20200602_132121-2-X2.jpg

20200602_132012-2-X2.jpg

20200601_164301-2-X3.jpg

Tob,

Did they put your name on the car?

When I did the GT350 Track Attack in Utah, that was one of the things I really liked.

Just wondering?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Yes, same as what they did in Utah.

Note that they will fit you with a suit and helmet first thing when you enter the classroom. Look at. your helmet size as it'll help you if you want to buy a helmet down the road but are unsure as to the size of your noggin.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few more things.

It's always a good idea to eat healthy and stay in shape. If you're older, it might not be a bad idea to get checked up with your doctor and if it's ok (and you aren't already doing it) to begin an exercise regimen. The school provides liquids to keep you hydrated as it will be hot as heck come summer time. At the drag strip (when pulling up to stage) your windows must be up and the A/C off. This can wear on you. After lunch, you'll be pretty "engaged" at the speedway both mentally and physically. The better shape you are in the better driver you can be. Never a bad thing.

They had some issues with communications equipment at times. I couldn't hear anything in my helmet and was told to hit the power button, which I did, repeatedly. Somebody from the school also hit the volume buttons way up. Something wasn't plugged in properly and it wasn't the connection at my helmet. When they got it working and the instructor did a radio check I about jumped out of my seat as the volume was up all the way. Here's a shot so you can see where the power button is and the volume controls - everything should be set up so you shouldn't have to do anything other than plug in your helmet but here it is anyway, mounted on the crossbar behind and between the seats.

20200601_164410-2-X2.jpg

You'll plug into the left side of your helmet. Remember to unplug before climbing out of the car.

20200602_133003-2-XL.jpg

You will be wearing a HANS device in conjunction with the provided helmet. The two are attached with fairly short lanyards. For me, I found it easiest to put it on outside of the car. You have to hold one in each hand, slip the HANS in place (it is shaped like a horse shoe) from behind while also coordinating the helmet to slide down and in place over your head. Everybody has their favorite technique but that worked for me.

20200602_131831-2-X2.jpg

When disconnecting the belts, release or extend the amount of available belt length. Then when you get back in and buckle up, pull everything tight. Makes it easier. Splay your belts out on the seat so you can reach them when seated. You don't want to be sitting on them. With the helmet/HANS, it can be difficult to maneuver your head to reach for things. Note the belts on the driver seat...

20200602_132504-2-X3.jpg

When you come in for graduation you'll be greeted by a rear caliper made into a really cool trophy. It is heavy and somewhat large due to the attached stand. I mailed mine home instead of dealing with any baggage issues. You might want to consider doing the same.

20200601_210348%20Z-2-XL.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow, they are giving out caliper trophies now.

Did you happen to get the model number of that helmet? I'll be damned if I put one of those Covid-19 specials on my head.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The school is taking Covid very seriously. Everything is disinfected and I'm not talking merely a quick shot of bowling shoe spray. An example - you get fitted with your suit and helmet very early in the day. The suit is easy, they look at you and guess bigger than what you may need for a perfect fit. The helmet, well they guess well, until I got mine. Quite a bit too tight. It didn't go back on the rack but had to be placed elsewhere and to be cleaned again. And you notice this attention to cleanliness everywhere. From the car, to every room at their facility as well as the building you get schooled in at the speedway. Handwash stations are everywhere. It is almost surgical.

On edit: I liked the way the helmet performed and was sure to find out who made them.

20200602_131803.jpg

It's a Zamp Racing RL-70E.

https://zamp-inc.myshopify.com/collections/zamp-auto-kart/products/rl-70e

Looks like Summit carries them at a fair price too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...pENL86vltpZS-0ZPVFpfQXc5oslL2OnRoC3_cQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The school is taking Covid very seriously. Everything is disinfected and I'm not talking merely a quick shot of bowling shoe spray. An example - you get fitted with your suit and helmet very early in the day. The suit is easy, they look at you and guess bigger than what you may need for a perfect fit. The helmet, well they guess well, until I got mine. Quite a bit too tight. It didn't go back on the rack but had to be placed elsewhere and to be cleaned again. And you notice this attention to cleanliness everywhere. From the car, to every room at their facility as well as the building you get schooled in at the speedway. Handwash stations are everywhere. It is almost surgical.

On edit: I liked the way the helmet performed and was sure to find out who made them.

20200602_131803.jpg

It's a Zamp Racing RL-70E.

https://zamp-inc.myshopify.com/collections/zamp-auto-kart/products/rl-70e

Looks like Summit carries them at a fair price too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...pENL86vltpZS-0ZPVFpfQXc5oslL2OnRoC3_cQAvD_BwE

Thanks Tob, just added the helmet to my wishlist.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I highly recommend you buy a full face shield when you buy a helmet. Most HPDEs don’t require it. But once you have been hit in the face with a pebble or piece of rubber at 100 mph, you will know why! Those little buggers bounce off of the inside of the left door mirror with ease...
I bought their RZ-42 when it first came out and am very pleased with it. I see you can get a face shield for the RL-70 as well. Cool beans.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks Tob, just added the helmet to my wishlist.
For the record, zamp helmets are lower tier. The only reason I would buy one is to be able to use my own helmet at the track attack.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
For the record, zamp helmets are lower tier. The only reason I would buy one is to be able to use my own helmet at the track attack.
I wanted to buy a Bell helmet, but they moved their manufacturing to the Middle East and could never provide a delivery date. I worked with Wine Country Motorsports through this issue and they strongly recommended the Zamp helmet. So I gave it a try. Was surprised at the quality and fit. have since found many fellow HPDE’rs using the same helmet.
My previous helmets were Simpson. But they aren’t keeping up.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to buy a Bell helmet, but they moved their manufacturing to the Middle East and could never provide a delivery date. I worked with Wine Country Motorsports through this issue and they strongly recommended the Zamp helmet. So I gave it a try. Was surprised at the quality and fit. have since found many fellow HPDE’rs using the same helmet.
My previous helmets were Simpson. But they aren’t keeping up.
I have two zamp helmets for my passengers at track events. They were (I don't want to say cheap) reasonably priced.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@Epiphany been tracking the discussion on the CCB thread. Made me wonder if you were able to note whether brake pads were changed before and/or after your event. Also, did you note the level of brake wear?

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I went to the track last night to try and prepare myself a bit. I’ve got pic’s!! My best run was an 11.6 @120. I’m hoping they address the delay in launching. Best reaction time was.4 and change.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Epiphany been tracking the discussion on the CCB thread. Made me wonder if you were able to note whether brake pads were changed before and/or after your event. Also, did you note the level of brake wear?
My car only had ~150 miles on it when I got it. I looked briefly before jumping in and it the pads looked to have plenty of life and the rotors near new. The instructors noted that the school did several dry runs of the program with Ford executives, etc, in order to better prepare for GT500 owners headed their way. I talked to Chris Capaldi the morning of the school as I've dealt with him on some brake hardware for the GT350's and talked to him about it also being used on the GT500's. At this point they are collecting data and studying brake hardware and tires very closely to see what kind of safe and usable life they can expect from them.

I obviously can't comment on pad taper from a skewed view through the wheel but pad thickness showed plenty of life left and the rotors looked perfect. They are adamant about the cool down lap as well as how the car is parked. Tires were in darn good shape which I found impressive given their use at both the dragstrip and then the road course. I took this shot of a front tires from my car at the end of the day.

20200601_164529-2-X4.jpg

I did look closely at the Watson cage and RSD install. The LRS delete is more like carpet than the semi-rigid FP/CFTP delete panel (and a heck of a lot cheaper). They probably weren't as meticulous as you or I would be about downbar hole placement but that matters little with respect to function.

20200601_084746-2-X2.jpg

20200601_084742-2-XL.jpg

20200601_164434-2-XL.jpg

20200601_164320-2-X3.jpg

20200601_084759-2-XL.jpg

20200602_132547-2-X3.jpg

Again, they are using ARP wheel studs and aftermarket, open end lug nuts.

20200601_170246-2-X3.jpg

The school has all the right stuff when it comes to durability and safety. I commend them for their efforts here.

I went to the track last night to try and prepare myself a bit. I’ve got pic’s!! My best run was an 11.6 @120. I’m hoping they address the delay in launching. Best reaction time was.4 and change.
They'll talk about the delay but how you address it is all up to you and at what point you release the brake pedal while in Drag Mode. You'll get plenty of runs in with little wait. You likely won't see times in the 11's with ambient temps and not being able to use the water box to heat up the tires. Hopefully the track is stickier on your day. Things got a little "skittish" for a number of attendees when I was there. Good luck!

You had asked about attire. I'm sure you'll get the last minute emails like we did, Covid questionnaire, etc, and they'll break it down pretty good. They tell you that shorts are absolutely fine as you'll be in one of their suits all day. T-shirt and sneakers are perfect (obviously no sandals or flip flops:)). Remember to bring a mask too. They'll give you a doo rag for your helmet too that you can keep.

If you want to shop at the end of the day just know they don't take cash, so credit card only.

20200601_072613-2-X3.jpg

20200602_133438-2-X3.jpg

And sorry if anyone finds it corny but I found it to be pretty cool. When I see it I'll remember everything about being there.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
THE best video I've seen in a long, LONG TIME, Tob...it warmed my heart to hear your enthusiasm and dedication to the Brand in your voice.

TOP-NOTCH and thank you.

Meanwhile, I truly hope that things simmer down in Buffalo.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
@Epiphany

"I did look closely at the Watson cage and RSD install. The LRS delete is more like carpet than the semi-rigid FP/CFTP delete panel (and a heck of a lot cheaper). They probably weren't as meticulous as you or I would be about downbar hole placement but that matters little with respect to function."

What is LRS Delete? What is the LRS acronym?
Sponsored