Spare Tire Tale

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Zooks, so I understand, will this spare tire and wheel fit over the Brembo PP1 on both the rear and front?
It is a skinny 50mph tire or a regular tire? It seems that Thug's set up is a regular rim and tire.
Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I think I paid $295 for my 2015 Ford spare kit..I think is the same kit now for non PP cars...what a rip off over $400!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Zooks, so I understand, will this spare tire and wheel fit over the Brembo PP1 on both the rear and front?
It is a skinny 50mph tire or a regular tire? It seems that Thug's set up is a regular rim and tire.
The Automotive Authority spare is a skinny temporary style spare, mounted on a rim that will fit over the front Bembros on a PP1 or PP2 car and that will also fit on the rear axles. The diameter of the AA spare is also within a few percent of the stock tires on both axles and, at least on my car, fits in the existing spare tire well with the trunk floor flat above it.

OP
OP

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hi Linkster 1666.

AAA was not going to help. The 3/8" bolt left a BIG hole and because I was in some traffic and took a few hundred yards to get safely to the roadside, the sidewall made the tire not repairable. Another wrecker stopped and we tried to air it up; no joy. the actual hole was a bit more than 1/4: in diameter and would be an iffy plug fix. When I drive the car, I want a reliable tire on it, not one I have to worry about. AAA would have wanted to send a wrecker and the Mustang GT has no tow hook and sits very low. The flat tire was driver side rear and the front spoiler is low enough that you can't raise the rear end and tow it. That leaves a Jerr-Dan type roll bed that will also trash the front lower deck.

Actually, I was thinking of getting a track tow hook just for the off chance of something that would REQUIRE a tow ... like a blown engine. If that were to happen, I'd be forced to tow it.

I thought this through before sitting in the car for several hours. End result is the car is home with zero damage. The only downside was a less-than-wonderful Sunday afternoon. I have a new tire on the way (had to order one) and America's Tire has the wheel and tire waiting for the new one. So, no real downside to doing it the right way other than my time.

Hi Gatsby, if you keep the torque wrench pre-set to 150 ft-lbs, it won;t be when you use it. You are supposed to set torque wrenches to zero for storage.

Hi EFI, so a 235-35/19 on an 8.5: wheel fits in the spar tire compartment? Now that's nice to know. Thanks! My question is this: I thought the real issue with spares was not the tire, but the PP Brembo brakes that don't clear the non-PP wheels. Is your car a PP1 or PP2? What specific wheels clear the PP brakes?

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Hi Linkster 1666.

AAA was not going to help. The 3/8" bolt left a BIG hole and because I was in some traffic and took a few hundred yards to get safely to the roadside, the sidewall made the tire not repairable. ANother wrecker stopped and we tries to air it up; no joy. the actual hole was a bit more than 1/4: in diameter and would be an iffy plug fix. When I drive the car, I want a reliable tire on it, not one I have to worry about. AAA would have wanted to send a wrecked and the Mustang GT has no tow hook and sits very low. The flat tire was driver side rear and the front spoiler is low enough that you can't raise the rear end and tow it. That leaves a Jerr-Dan type roll bed that will also trash the front lower deck.

Actually, I was thinking of getting a track tow hook just for the off chance of something that would REQUIRE a tow ... like a blown engine. If that were to happen, I'd be forced to tow it.

I thought this through before sitting in the car for several hours. End result is the car is home with zero damage. The only downside was a less-than-wonderful Sunday afternoon. I have a new tire on the way (had to order one) and America's Tire has the wheel and tire waiting for the new one. So, no real downside to doing it the right way other than my time.
So what did you wind up doing.i had a bad flat on my 14vshelby.i had a roll back wrecker come and said he couldn't pull it onto the bed.no tow points.(I did show him in the manual where the row points were but he still wouldn't do I)all Shelby were 6 speeds so I had to drive it up the ramps very slowly,since he was standing in front if me.clutch was smoking but got it on..
Haven't bought my AA tire yet but will.i need to look in my 19gt manual to see if there are any tow points

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.i need to look in my 19gt manual to see if there are any tow points
There are slots in the frame on both sides of the car near the front wheel line that are used for towing.

When my PP1 started screaming with a stuck pulley noise on day two of ownership, I called Ford Assist and they sent out flat bed with a driver who understood the front spoiler issue. He babied it up the ramp with a pair of hooks in the slots and used the slots and the tires (not the suspension) to tie it down on the bed. I don't expect to get that lucky with drivers in the future.

You winch using the points labelled as "2". You tie down with "3" and "4".
Capture.JPG

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
There are slots in the frame on both sides of the car near the front wheel line that are used for towing.

When my PP1 started screaming with a stuck pulley noise on day two of ownership, I called Ford Assist and they sent out flat bed with a driver who understood the front spoiler issue. He babied it up the ramp with a pair of hooks in the slots and used the slots and the tires (not the suspension) to tie it down on the bed. I don't expect to get that lucky with drivers in the future.
Great thanks.so the slots are in the frame in front of the tires.i have AAA BUT will use fird assist next time.did you contact them thru Ford pass app.thanks

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great thanks.so the slots are in the frame in front of the tires.i have AAA BUT will use fird assist next time.did you contact them thru Ford pass app.thanks
I edited my post after you replied. See above for the slot locations.

The full page for the wrecker guide (with the footnote for the GT350) is below.
Capture.JPG
2.JPG

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The $500 setup comes with a jack. The no-jack kit is $410, so you're more than halfway over the cost from the get go. Plus, with the above, you're still standing on the side of the road with a wheel, a loose tire, and a car with all its weight on the flat. So, no matter what, you're still going to have to add $50 for a jack, $25 to mount / balance the tire, $10 for a breaker bar, $7 for a socket, and now you're at $342 before you start wondering if your 19x8.5 wheel is going to clear the Bembros on the front.
You must be fun at parties :sunglasses:

If you are a grown ass man who owns a $30k+ car doesn't have a single socket in the house...then you probably should not be changing a tire on the side of the road. Best to sit in the car sipping your grande iced mochalattecrappucino and let a towing company do the work getting you back on the road.

And last I checked, that $342 dollars is still cheaper than $410 if you want to get technical about it...and then you still have to buy a jack and that elusive 21mm socket.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are a grown ass man who owns a $30k+ car doesn't have a single socket in the house...then you probably should not be changing a tire on the side of the road.
So I take it you're the cheap SOB who pulls one socket out of the set, leaves it in the car, and then whines when he goes to use the socket set and can't find it?

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So I take it you're the cheap SOB who pulls one socket out of the set, leaves it in the car, and then whines when he goes to use the socket set and can't find it?
Nah, thankfully in my 35 years on this earth I've been able to gather enough moneys to be able to afford 2 of said sockets...so I don't have to go buy new one just to be able keep in the car.

If you're ever over in Norfolk I'd be happy to lend you out one.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
It's funny, I have driven longways across the U.S.A. and from Mexico to Canada in both cars and on motorcycles, and never had a tire issue. But, take a short fun drive with almost new tires ... and find a problem. Go figure.

Hope it doesn't happen to you. Go ahead and GET that spare!
Now you know why I ditched the Blow Up Box and added a spare tire and wheel on my 20 GT. I also added an extended 1/2 " Breaker Bar.

black bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem A6 White Platinum 20x9's

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This happens every time the spare issue comes up. Yes, there are cheaper solutions that probably work just as well as the AA solution. A lot of people are filling their trunk with a spare full size wheel and tire, floor jack, etc. Whatever works for you is great.

I really hope that the $500 I spent is a complete waste of money that never gets used.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You don't need to order the fancy $500 spare for this.

Get yourself a cheap 19x8.5 replica wheel for under $150 and a basic all season 235/35/19 tire for $100 and you have a solid spare option that fits well in the trunk for half the cost.
I actually tried this when I first bought my 2017 GT. Bought the cheapest 19" wheel i could, which I believe was a 8.5" wide wheel from Tire Rack. (I think it was a closeout wheel, just over $100.) It was listed as fitting the 15" Brembo's. It did, I checked it, but then I decided before buying a tire for it, I would put just the wheel in the trunk. It took up ALOT of space, and that had no tire on it. Probably could have fit one small suitcase in there with it, no way two suitcases would fit if the wife and I want to go out of town. I ended up returning the wheel back to Tire Rack and just biting the bullet and paying $500 for the Automotive Authority spare.

I know a lot of people complain about how expensive it is, but knowing that my fate is in my own hands if I ever get a flat tire is priceless. Plus, waiting for hours on the side of the road doesn't sound like fun, especially if I am out of town in the middle of nowhere. I can just imagine sitting along I-15 between Barstow and Baker waiting for a tow, and then how much a tire shop on Barstow or Baker would charge me a replacement tire, if they even have something in stock. No thanks, $500 is cheap piece of mind, and I still get full use of my trunk.

Doug
Sponsored