CD3

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2017 Tundra Pro
Most any modern day Mustang shifter is going to be a semi-remote design that is rubber bushed throughout for NVH. There is a critical difference between the shifters Ford uses on the Mustang GT and the GT350 though. The factory GT350 is a pendulum design and the GT a single axis design - in general terms. Theoretically, the single axis is what you want for performance as it is more linear. Problem is, Ford dumbs down the shifters via joints in the actuation rod, overly soft bushings, etc.

I've stated this for years now regarding the GT350 shifter - it is a low budget design. Make that very low budget. The composite ball/cup used are a compromise (large tolerances, rapid wear) that affects shift quality negatively as time and mileage are accrued. The reverse lockout mechanism (collar and spring) design is problematic as Ford is trying impart light feel (via a soft spring) that encourages the collar to stick. There is too much deflection in the system and it in part reduces feel and accuracy. Considering the monies spent on the clutch for the 5.2L Voodoo engine as well as the refinements made to the TR3160, the shifter isn't up to snuff and is a rather poor match. Ford is now stuck with it (as are GT350 owners) and is bandaiding what was a poor design to begin with. Admittedly, they can't win here. If they manufacture a more precise shift mechanism (typically costlier, something they don't favor) they will hear complaints related to NVH. If they go the weak wrist path then hard charging enthusiasts complain. So they try to find a balance. Problem here is, the balance went out the window with this car and they are trying to take the edge out of it with a "gentler" mechanism. They did the same thing with the clutch spring, something they keep going back and forth with. IMHO, they needed a focus group for this car with a harder edge.
I am about to get the “new” shifter installed as a result of the recall on the 19’s. Hopefully better. Can’t afford the aftermarket one that people like on this site at the moment.
Will let you know my thoughts.
Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Please do!!!

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I am about to get the “new” shifter installed as a result of the recall on the 19’s. Hopefully better. Can’t afford the aftermarket one that people like on this site at the moment.

Did you decide to go with your local dealer? Have they done any prior to yours?

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
Just bought 19 350 after years of drooling, as a 50 year worshipper of Shelby and owning 8 Mustangs including two 66 tribute cars and two 08 GT 500’s which were death traps. Own the car 3 days and 8 get a shifter recall. My local dealer says we have not done one yet but we will figure it out. REALLY !! What do you guys think?
I saw the replacement instructions on line
I want my console taken apart?
Would you guys allow a shop that has never done anything like this to do the work.
nearby
This car is my baby as your car is.
CD3, you are truly a kindred spirit with your feelings and thoughts in this regard, except that unlike you, I have never owned any Mustangs, until I also purchased a new 2019 GT350, my long desired "dream car" as a retirement present to myself this past February off a nearby Ford dealer's lot. It happened to be optioned just as I would have special ordered it, and couldn't believe my good fortune to finally own my own baby, only to be dismayed by subsequently receiving the same "Customer Satisfaction Program 19B34" letter concerning the potential shifter reverse lockout problem only 2 weeks later. As of this writing on Memorial Day I only have 451 miles on the car, with its first service already pre-scheduled by the dealer for this coming August, and have had absolutely no problems with the shifter's reverse lock-out up to now, albeit with very few miles on the car.

Since the likelihood of my tracking or drag racing the car is low, I'm in no hurry to have my dealer perform the work that I've seen depicted and described for similar shifter replacements, especially since I have until 13 February 2022 to have the work done at no cost, and until I address this issue with my dealer's service manager to determine their training and experience factor in dealing with this problem. If their training and experience is currently little or none, I just may wait until February 2022 before having anything done, assuming I do decide to act, to hopefully allow the dealer's service techs to acquire the proper experience to service this issue correctly between now and then, with less of a chance later of incurring collateral mechanical or cosmetic damage to my Shelby.

I've also ruled out the possibility of having an MGW shifter installed as part of the solution, which is probably the shifter others on this site have mentioned, not wanting to change the method of engaging reverse gear from the original shifter, but if I have anything done, I may decide to have a Ford Performance Shifter Kit (part # M-7210-M8A) installed in place of the stock shifter. This shifter is supposed to offer a 15-16% reduction in throw, engages reverse the same way as the original shifter, and would only cost about $289 if ordered from CJ Pony Parts or American Muscle, instead of $367.00 if ordered from Ford Performance. However, I first want to confirm with my dealer that this is NOT what they are replacing for free. I mention this in case you were not aware of it, but would be interested in it if less expensive than the MGW shifter, which I believe it is, if memory serves.

Lastly, I also would appreciate learning how you made out with getting your new shifter installed, and thank you in advance for any information you could provide. Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck with your GT350 in the future!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
I recently got the recall notice for my 2019 R. Anybody know a good/experienced dealership in the Los Angeles area that can do this correctly?

Sponsored

ruboz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I had my local dealer perform the recall fix from 3/16 through 3/18, they had to replace my headliner too. As soon as I started the car after the fix I noticed a change in the exhaust note that was a vibrating and annoying sound. At first I thought it may have been part of the headliner fix and a disconnected mic that's part of the noise cancelling system. The dealer said yea, the tech did notice something. I brought it back a week later to replace the shifter nob, they scratched and the shifter boot plastic bezel they broke. No resolution to my noise issue. I made another appointment and found that the tech who worked on my car was let go due to the downturn. I then thought the shifter fix my have been part of the source and read all the threads on this site and found SL8888's mention of a similar issue. I printed out the 14 page dealer service procedure that Tank uploaded to this site and went through all the touch points under the car to see if I could find anything amiss. First thing I find is a drip of water on the X-Pipe weld at the engine side of the pipe. I start the car and find water and exhaust escaping, the weld has a hole. I continued through the service procedures to see if I could find anything else amiss but all looks good including the Tech's marks on the drive shaft showing he followed the procedure.

I called the dealer to have them order a new X-Pipe under warranty and asked that the Tech go through all that was done under the recall to see if all looks right. The weird part is that the noise disappears if I open the drivers door and returns when the door is closed. It also only happens at lower RPM's and there is a vibration I can feel on the inside door handle. Does anyone else have any other ideas on what I should check before I bring it to the dealer? I hate going to the dealer, it took 3 appointments to fix a rear diff leak.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
This is exactly why I refuse to bring my car to The dealership. I think next spring I’ll take the car apart at home, bring them the shifter, get the new parts and do the install back at my house.

so sad that we can’t rely on the dealership to not screw thongs up.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
This is exactly why I refuse to bring my car to The dealership. I think next spring I’ll take the car apart at home, bring them the shifter, get the new parts and do the install back at my house.

so sad that we can’t rely on the dealership to not screw thongs up.
Alain, just be mindful that almost all dealerships have a policy of installing warrantied parts by utilizing their own technicians. Not saying that you couldn't wheel and deal and get a dealership to take the defective linkage and give you the warrantied new linkage to install yourself, but it may be a substantial uphill battle or more likely a flat denial.

ruboz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
May I ask why the headliner was replaced?
The headliner was replaced after I found a penny sized speaker cover on the back shelf and saw that it belonged to a same size hole on the headliner. No one seems to have an R headliner with the same hole and dealer couldn't figure it out so they replaced it with one that doesn't have one. I thought the hole was for some sort of mic, hence why I only heard the noise on the inside of the car.

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
CD3, you are truly a kindred spirit with your feelings and thoughts in this regard, except that unlike you, I have never owned any Mustangs, until I also purchased a new 2019 GT350, my long desired "dream car" as a retirement present to myself this past February off a nearby Ford dealer's lot. It happened to be optioned just as I would have special ordered it, and couldn't believe my good fortune to finally own my own baby, only to be dismayed by subsequently receiving the same "Customer Satisfaction Program 19B34" letter concerning the potential shifter reverse lockout problem only 2 weeks later. As of this writing on Memorial Day I only have 451 miles on the car, with its first service already pre-scheduled by the dealer for this coming August, and have had absolutely no problems with the shifter's reverse lock-out up to now, albeit with very few miles on the car.

Since the likelihood of my tracking or drag racing the car is low, I'm in no hurry to have my dealer perform the work that I've seen depicted and described for similar shifter replacements, especially since I have until 13 February 2022 to have the work done at no cost, and until I address this issue with my dealer's service manager to determine their training and experience factor in dealing with this problem. If their training and experience is currently little or none, I just may wait until February 2022 before having anything done, assuming I do decide to act, to hopefully allow the dealer's service techs to acquire the proper experience to service this issue correctly between now and then, with less of a chance later of incurring collateral mechanical or cosmetic damage to my Shelby.

I've also ruled out the possibility of having an MGW shifter installed as part of the solution, which is probably the shifter others on this site have mentioned, not wanting to change the method of engaging reverse gear from the original shifter, but if I have anything done, I may decide to have a Ford Performance Shifter Kit (part # M-7210-M8A) installed in place of the stock shifter. This shifter is supposed to offer a 15-16% reduction in throw, engages reverse the same way as the original shifter, and would only cost about $289 if ordered from CJ Pony Parts or American Muscle, instead of $367.00 if ordered from Ford Performance. However, I first want to confirm with my dealer that this is NOT what they are replacing for free. I mention this in case you were not aware of it, but would be interested in it if less expensive than the MGW shifter, which I believe it is, if memory serves.

Lastly, I also would appreciate learning how you made out with getting your new shifter installed, and thank you in advance for any information you could provide. Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck with your GT350 in the future!
I may be way off on this but my dealer was not able to do the shifter recall, because they were "short a part". He said something like "we have all the parts but one, and that is back ordered", so that gave me the impression that perhaps they are just re-doing some things in the original shifter, BUT I do not know

Also, I wasn't aware that Ford Performance sold a shorter rod (or whatever it is) for the GT350. I wonder how that would be for street driving? I wonder if the dealer would be willing to toss one in at a reduced price if they are doing shifter work anyways.

Anyone out there try this Ford mod part for GT350? Only one review I found but it said pain in the #ss to install, but was great

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Well, my dealer did not have the parts to re-do the shifter and told me they were on back order

Based on this,. maybe the recall won't make it all that much better (?)

What shifter do people recommend? Anyone have one installed now in their personal GT350 to offer a review on it, and how is it for street? Did anyone see the change in NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness)?

thx!!!
MGW is not on back order...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

The MGW is a quality engineered piece of absolute mil-spec hardware. Even the $289 “upgrade” from FP is a matchstick compared to the MGW unit. For less than $200 more you could have absolute quality rather than a “fix”. But, then again, some people are willing to go for less and expect more... which is likely why the divorce rate has significantly increased over the last 50 years.

if I can give anyone sound advice... ditch the crap and go with the tried-and-true... plus you get better customer service and investment in a real, honest-to-God builder of a quality unit who will stand behind his product.

I don’t always buy shifters... but when I do, I buy MGW!!!

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
The MGW is a quality engineered piece of absolute mil-spec hardware. Even the $289 “upgrade” from FP is a matchstick compared to the MGW unit. For less than $200 more you could have absolute quality rather than a “fix”. But, then again, some people are willing to go for less and expect more... which is likely why the divorce rate has significantly increased over the last 50 years.

if I can give anyone sound advice... ditch the crap and go with the tried-and-true... plus you get better customer service and investment in a real, honest-to-God builder of a quality unit who will stand behind his product.

I don’t always buy shifters... but when I do, I buy MGW!!!
+1. I agree, for only $200 more you getting entire shifter system, which is way superior to the Ford's one.
Sponsored