Sponsored

Best Clutch for track use?

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I would give Exedy a call and talk to them. I recall someone who did that and was surprised when Exedy said the Hyper Single would be overkill for HPDE and their style of driving. They recommended something in their lineup that was less expensive.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I would give Exedy a call and talk to them. I recall someone who did that and was surprised when Exedy said the Hyper Single would be overkill for HPDE and their style of driving. They recommended something in their lineup that was less expensive.
I agree with the above. Another thing to consider... installing a clutch with a much higher torque rating than stock increases the chance of damaging the transmission due to the shock when the clutch engages. No need to go that route if you are close to stock power.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I agree with the above. Another thing to consider... installing a clutch with a much higher torque rating than stock increases the chance of damaging the transmission due to the shock when the clutch engages. No need to go that route if you are close to stock power.
Yeah maybe the Mach 600 is plenty

Sponsored

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Never mind on the 600 it’s for high hp applications. The hyper single is a sprung plate, so even though it’s grabby, it shouldn’t shock the driveline too bad.

I’ve emailed Exedy, waiting on an answer.

Steeda is recommending the hyper single

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
I blew my OE clutch on a high rpm heel toe downshift at 120mph. Replaced it with an Exedy Mach 500 and their lightened steel flywheel and haven't had a problem since. I have put the clutch through over a 100 20 minute HPDE sessions and drive the car at the limit so the clutch experiences a high amount of stress and heat.

Highly recommend the Exedy setup for close to stockish power level. It takes the abuse just fine, doesn't make much NVH after it wears in, and shifts quite a bit smoother than the factory setup.

Note: Don't forget to upgrade fluid as well. I'm a fan of Castrol SRF.
Hi AlbertD, I know it's been a minute since you posted this, but I thought that I would see if you have anything else to add about the 500 and see what you recommend.

My car is a '15 with 465hp/406tq at the wheels after lots of upgrades (JLT CAI + 2018 intake manifold + ARH full exhaust + tune). I don't plan to go forced induction because like you I track the car and need it to be predictable.

Right now I have a 2 year old McLeod RST twin disc clutch and it is not fully disengaging at idle in 1st gear. It's going back to McLeod for a rebuild and because of Covid-19, this is going to take a while. The shop told me that it could take over a month to get the clutch back.

I'm thinking about getting the Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 and using the McLeod as a backup. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steven

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
@SkyBlast

The Mach 500 and lightened steel flywheel setup has been absolutely solid ever since I put it in. It's been over 30k miles and a TON of track time... not a single sign of fatigue or noise from it. The setup is stout. I would highly recommend it for your use case.

In my opinion, the McLeod is an outstanding clutch for street or drag strip use (had one in my GT500), but... not ideal for road coursing. I believe the pressure plate/floater mechanism is susceptible to warping from the constant high heat levels which causes the behavior you are describing. If you search around on the forum you will find others having the same experience.

If you go with the Exedy, get their flywheel as well. It handles the heat better and provides optimum contact area with their clutch. The flywheel is steel, so street manners are equivalent to stock.

Sponsored

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
I got the car back on Friday with the Exedy Hyper Single clutch installed. This is the same clutch as what used to be called the "Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3".. they just renamed it from what I can tell.

My buddy (an expert driving instructor for race tracks and Extreme Experience) and I drove it over 250 miles on Saturday, all around the back country, having a great time!

After the first 100 mile break in period, after the clutch self bled into place, the engagement point moved around.. first at 60%, then at 40%, then 20%, then back down to 40% (100% = clutch to the floor). It's fine where it is at 40%, which is still a little high up in the clutch pedal range... I just hope it doesn't move again LOL

As far as how it holds.. yeah... it's right on! The engagement is positive and firm, and you know where it is, which is very different from the stock clutch, which seemed to always be a guessing game.

Thanks for the recommendation AlbertD!

Last edited:

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I blew my OE clutch on a high rpm heel toe downshift at 120mph. Replaced it with an Exedy Mach 500 and their lightened steel flywheel and haven't had a problem since. I have put the clutch through over a 100 20 minute HPDE sessions and drive the car at the limit so the clutch experiences a high amount of stress and heat.

Highly recommend the Exedy setup for close to stockish power level. It takes the abuse just fine, doesn't make much NVH after it wears in, and shifts quite a bit smoother than the factory setup.

Note: Don't forget to upgrade fluid as well. I'm a fan of Castrol SRF.
Me exactly! Exedy Mach 500 has worked very well on track and street.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
FWIW I put a McLeod RXT-1200 (with lightened steel flywheel) on over the offseason and ran it at both THill and LVMS this spring without issue (4-5 15-20 minute sessions each) on my 750whp tune, short-shifting around 6500 @ THill, and redline (7350) @ LVMS. I have engine and tranny oil coolers, and use SRF with the shared reservoir (separating soon) and a braided metal line - heat is the enemy! No slipping, sticking or hung shifts. Like it a lot more than the RST it replaced, which had a very narrow (and high) engagement point, and couldn't take the power I now make.
Sponsored