Sponsored

2020 New Voodoo Big Booboo- Engine Replacement Experience

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350
My first drive in MY2018 was from Tampa, FL to Kansas City, Kansas. It was 1200 miles and changed the oil as soon as I reached KC.
It has 4500 miles and got oil changed last week. The service manager said the oil level was pretty good, I guess my motor does not drink oil.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's not the complete vin but last 8 are matching.

20191028_082907.jpg
20190522_190327.jpg
That’s “numbers matched”.

Just a friendly FYI to anyone seeking collectibility of past (1964-2014) or present S550 Mustangs (2015-2020) - the complete VIN (*or “warranty number”) was NEVER etched into any hard parts such as the trans or engine blocks; ONLY the last few digits as seen in the displayed images were etched or stamped into those parts.

————

A replacement engine (or transmission) will not have any such number on it to tie it back to the original vehicle’s VIN (*warranty number).

That “matched” number is the difference between getting future top dollar collectibility value vs. non-matched value. To some it does matter, to others it doesn’t.

Last edited:

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
I read today that the chance of Ford going bankrupt is very high. They are not going anywhere though. Just sayin’
there stocked dipped to single digits in the crash of 2006--2010. Kick myself for not investing. And yes--they won't go anywhere. But i worry they are cutting cost so much it just compounds the warranty claim problems.

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This is an unfortunate thing to happen. It could be a manufacturing defect, it could be driver error. What I mean is an accidental downshift by the driver at higher rpms let's say in 3rd gear to second gear extremely overrevving the engine.
LOL!

He was literally backing up in a parking garage at 1 mph when the engine failed.
Read OP's post before quoting incorrectly
Thanks guys!

Some thoughts on the failure since I didn’t get an update today. Thinking it through it could just be a bent valve that seized the motor when I tried to start it after it died backing up. In that case, a new head and piston as long as there is no block damage and I might be fine. Just thinking positively, you never know...

I did talk to my factory rep today and she was very nice and understanding. When it came up in conversation that I didn’t want the repair to take more than thirty days as that wouldn’t be good for either of us, she said she would be more than happy to put in for a buy back now (of course subject to review and approval). I declined for now.

If I were to do a buyback, with only two GT350R’s on dealer’s lot nationwide right now and both over MSRP, my MSRP trade is not looking so good especially when I’m eating the detailing bill. If it stays this way, from what I have gathered from the Cobra Jet thread on Lemon Laws and Ford buy backs, you might be able to order a new car if your exact spec is not available. My fear is that all open allocations are already spec’d or spoken for, and that the timing of the buyback would push me out beyond when the order book closes. Does anyone know when that is or have we passed it already?

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
In that case, a new head and piston as long as there is no block damage and I might be fine. Just thinking positively, you never know...
My understanding is Ford Performance does not let that kind of work to be done on the GT350 engine by dealers.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My understanding is Ford Performance does not let that kind of work to be done on the GT350 engine by dealers.
That's correct. There is no repairing this engine at the dealership level, it's an automatic motor swap.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Just a friendly FYI to anyone seeking collectibility of past (1964-2014) or present S550 Mustangs (2015-2020) - the complete VIN (*or “warranty number”) was NEVER etched into any hard parts such as the trans or engine blocks; ONLY the last few digits as seen in the displayed images were etched or stamped into those parts.
Not true for the early cars. The 65-67 HiPo K-code and GT350 engines did have complete 11 digit VIN's stamped on the blocks. There is some debate if ALL blocks were VIN stamped but the vast majority were. The Toploader close ratio 4-speed tranny's used in 65-67 K-codes and 67 GT350's were also typically stamped with the complete VIN. The close ration T-10's used in 65-66 GT350's were not VIN stamped.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
If I were to do a buyback, with only two GT350R’s on dealer’s lot nationwide right now and both over MSRP, my MSRP trade is not looking so good especially when I’m eating the detailing bill. If it stays this way, from what I have gathered from the Cobra Jet thread on Lemon Laws and Ford buy backs, you might be able to order a new car if your exact spec is not available. My fear is that all open allocations are already spec’d or spoken for, and that the timing of the buyback would push me out beyond when the order book closes. Does anyone know when that is or have we passed it already?
Are you sure only 2? Are you specifically looking for grabber lime? I'm seeing 33 2020 Rs nationwide on cargurus. There was one grabber lime listed at 77K.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...elper.selectedEntity=c29178#listing=261939677

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hmmm....
I wonder if I could make Ford an offer on this...
I am looking for a track duty GT350 with a Predator block.
Numbers matching not required as I have yet to part with a track car with the stock motor still in it.
Ill take an extended 100k drivetrain warranty with the car and a crate GT350R "52B/KR3Z-6010-A" or credit towards "M52B(R)" service motor.
Ill handle the swap and have a local Ford tech swing by the house to bless it if I can keep the original motor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yes only 2 R’s in Grabber lime that I can see. That one is listed over MSRP on Autotrader
When Ford bought back my truck they gave me the value of my sale in a check form. They can make special circumstances and add value to the buy back if they wish.

They do not work with any dealership directly, it's all with you on the phone and they will work to repair the vehicle first before all else.

So, I think it's unlikely they'll help you with the next purchase if you decide to go through buyback route.

Good luck to you and I hate to read articles like this...

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
When Ford bought back my truck they gave me the value of my sale in a check form. They can make special circumstances and add value to the buy back if they wish.

They do not work with any dealership directly, it's all with you on the phone and they will work to repair the vehicle first before all else.

So, I think it's unlikely they'll help you with the next purchase if you decide to go through buyback route.

Good luck to you and I hate to read articles like this...
Not expecting or demanding more than I paid for the car if I go this route. Right now I'm not planning to ask for a buyback. However, research on Ford RAV and the buyback process shows that you have a choice- your money back, less your use of the car in miles charged before the failure or a trade in equity less use, plus fees. The trade in equity must be same MSRP or higher and it is MSRP before discounts or rebates etc. If you can't find the same car within a range of miles to your dealership then Ford RAV might allow you to make a special order. This last point gives me pause and thus the questions regarding how that works, how long until they authorize an order and how subjective it is. Clearly I could find a comparable vehicle in other colors other than Lime Green, but that is what I want and wouldn't replace it with any other color. And if it is really subjective they could just deny it saying you have to take another color. All of that sounds risky, time consuming and it will not be 'free'. I loose the detail work and PPF of $3200 plus registration fees of about $700 so I'm out 4k before I even know if I get the exact same car. I figure the hit to resale is about 10% for the replacement, and if I keep it 5 years that is probably that same amount give or take....

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not expecting or demanding more than I paid for the car if I go this route. Right now I'm not planning to ask for a buyback. However, research on Ford RAV and the buyback process shows that you have a choice- your money back, less your use of the car in miles charged before the failure or a trade in equity less use, plus fees. The trade in equity must be same MSRP or higher and it is MSRP before discounts or rebates etc. If you can't find the same car within a range of miles to your dealership then Ford RAV might allow you to make a special order. This last point gives me pause and thus the questions regarding how that works, how long until they authorize an order and how subjective it is. Clearly I could find a comparable vehicle in other colors other than Lime Green, but that is what I want and wouldn't replace it with any other color. And if it is really subjective they could just deny it saying you have to take another color. All of that sounds risky, time consuming and it will not be 'free'. I loose the detail work and PPF of $3200 plus registration fees of about $700 so I'm out 4k before I even know if I get the exact same car. I figure the hit to resale is about 10% for the replacement, and if I keep it 5 years that is probably that same amount give or take....
In Ohio, Lemon Law is based on full purchase price (no matter the mileage)) so I was reimbursed in full.

I was "Denied" twice by Ford and I continued the process of calling and asking to reconsider.

I finally was "Approved" after two months of headache.

It took one more month to get the actual check in hand.

Lastly, yes, I can agree on that Ford will replace the car with a similar car (possibly going through the ordering process) but Ford has no control over dealerships so I do think your best bet is to get your purchase value out of the car (if you can get full value, not sure how your state works) and attempt to get whatever you can back on the detailing aspect (this would probably have to go through the dealer but Ford may assist you here too).

I know it's very frustrating. I probably spent 12 hours on the phone with Ford Corporate before they finally said "Yes" over 6 or 7 different calls and speaking with 5 people or more.

I hope this helps.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In your specific case (and any others similar to it) where the Owner has vested additional money into any aftermarket upgrades (physical parts, appearance or “detailing”) is where the loss would be incurred (to the Owner).

In Ford’s RAV docs it’s specifically laid out that Ford will not reimburse for anything aftermarket.

If an Owner installed say an aftermarket exhaust and wants to remove it, the Owner is responsible for the R&R (and any cost associated with the R&R if not DIY) and has to replace that aftermarket with the stock component OR similar at a cost out of their pocket (IF the original components are MIA).

Anything such as window tinting, PPF, “ceramics”, etc. there is obviously no way to “recoup” those items from the vehicle.

Even if an Owner can produce receipts for the purchases and seeks reimbursement, Ford and Ford RAV rarely deviate from the RAV polices.

NOW, that’s not to say the Owner cannot persist and see if Ford or Ford RAV will even entertain such a reimbursement for the $4k in aftermarket. In the instance of THIS specific GT350R failure, with the Owner having only had the car for 3 days, only 720mi AND THAT it is a “flagship” vehicle from Ford - the Owner *might* be able to push the aspect of “hey, I’m not asking for any more than to be made whole” - and while it’s an unfortunate situation for the OP, there’s a definitive QC issue SOMEWHERE if a brand new 2020 GT350R engine catastrophically fails in a VERY short period of time.

If it were me, sure as hell bet would I put pressure on Ford and Ford RAV with making me entirely whole by requesting reimbursement of the “aftermarket” upgrades. Put it to Ford Or Ford RAV this way - how in the F were you supposed to know that after putting out the purchase cost of the car + aftermarket that the engine was going to shit the bed before 1k miles? The worse they can do is say no, that they won’t deviate from the RAV docs or process... Then that’s when the OP can leverage that he will make this problem as public as possible and would seek an Attorney. Again there’s nothing saying this OP CAN’T request the reimbursement, BUT with such short ownership time on a brand new vehicle - it would be in Ford’s best interest to oblige and make the OP whole.

Now of course, any decision is solely up to the OP.

My opinion and viewpoint is this:
Do you tell Ford you want a refund - and take what is due to you - and lose the $4k in aftermarket upgrades...

OR

Do you allow the engine replacement and keep the car, then take a 10% + hit on the value of the vehicle + the $4k down the road?

IMO, if it were me - and Ford said “ok, we will refund the entire purchase of the vehicle but cannot reimburse the $4k” - I would take the refund and walk.

The 10%+ decrease in value on a future sale or trade in of that vehicle due to non-numbers matching will be a greater hit than just $4k.

Just putting it out there in black and white. I know sometimes “emotions” play a role in decisions, but anyone looking “in” or even for the OP, definitely look at the big picture (not just the “now”) before making any rash decisions.

It’s just not an easy or simple choice no matter which is decided...

Last edited:

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
LOL!

Thanks guys!

Some thoughts on the failure since I didn’t get an update today. Thinking it through it could just be a bent valve that seized the motor when I tried to start it after it died backing up. In that case, a new head and piston as long as there is no block damage and I might be fine. Just thinking positively, you never know...

I did talk to my factory rep today and she was very nice and understanding. When it came up in conversation that I didn’t want the repair to take more than thirty days as that wouldn’t be good for either of us, she said she would be more than happy to put in for a buy back now (of course subject to review and approval). I declined for now.

Don't know where your getting your info but my dealer, Banner Ford, Covington, LA has a black GT350R for $3K below invoice. They would probably do better than that since they've had it for a half a year or more.
Sponsored