Oil change issue/not completely filled

BullitRapp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Had my second oil change at a ford dealership and they only put in 8 quarts. Drove it over the weekend and noticed it was clunky and sounded off. Looked at the dipstick and it was dry. My service sheet statement shows only 8 quarts were used in a 10 quart engine. What parts might have been damaged and should I notify ford? Engine now has a permanent clicking noise. Replaced the 2 quarts but this did not eliminate the noise. Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Oh man I had the same thing happen to me. Took it in and told them to make sure it gets 10 quarts. Go to pick it up and check the bill only 8 quarts! I somewhat lost it on the SA especially after asking they make sure of the right amount. They topped it up on the spot so the car only ran a couple of minutes and seems fine.

I would have taken it back and made them top it off & acknowledge their mistake and any issues that could result from that. I would call and complain to them and notify Ford too perhaps of your concerns. I called my dealer back the next day to talk to the Shop Foreman and told him this had better not ever happen again. He assured me it won't and they were going to put a note on the cars file to check for that. That said I doubt your car suffered any damage since it has such a large amount of oil in the sump even if it's down 2 quarts. If it was your first oil change sometimes they tick after that which would be unrelated I suspect.

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This is why I have always changed my own, even the 2 free oil changes they give I let them keep. The ford garages have no idea what they are doing and many add 8 instead of 10 gts the gen3 coyote needs. The gen 3 has been out for 3 years and they still don’t know how to change oil. Sorry for your mustang....

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
They are supposed to scan the VIN every time a car comes into the shop, that will (or should) let them know what to do. It's sad but we are now responsible for double-checking *everything*.
At 7000 rpm there is a lot of oil in places other than the pan and with hard cornering what is in the pan is at a 45 degree angle. There is little oil covering the pickup, that's when we really need the full 10 qts.
I would have the dealer write it up detailing the mistake they made and send a copy to Ford.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
How can these morons continue to make this mistake? I’ll bet you’re less likely to get shorted at a quick lube, because those guys probably look up the capacity for every car they service as who could remember them all. Meanwhile the Ford monkeys presume they know and screw up. I do my own, and am prepared to defend that if need be for a power train claim.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Tip:

If anyone on this site is not doing oil changes themselves - always, Always, ALWAYS check the dipstick level before you even start the car OR leave the Ford Dealer (or insert XYZ shop here). If you find that the oil level is low from a Ford Service Center visit, immediately go back inside and demand to talk to the Dealership General Manager.

Don't ever assume the engine oil is at the proper level if YOU are NOT the one changing it, period.

Can’t stress it enough.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I SEVERELY doubt only 2 quarts low would starve the engine for oil. 4-5 quarts low MAYBE, but not 2. The oil pickup is 3/4” from the bottom of the oil pan.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This makes me cringe. Did you return to the dealer for them to fix their mistake? I would take it to them ASAP and get documentation of the issue.

Is it possible the noise was there before?

How hard did you drive it while it was low? Chances are normal driving, 8 full qt wouldn’t cause any damage. Obviously if you’re beating on it, there’s going to be less oil in the pan. I know the Gen III has some significant changes, but the Gen II’s only require 8qt.

Deleted member 35644

They are supposed to scan the VIN every time a car comes into the shop, that will (or should) let them know what to do.
This is a meaningless act when the information in their computer is wrong. They filled my sister-in-law's Ecoboost with 5W-20, and verified this information on the screen when I brought it back to have oil added, as when I checked the level after I got it home, it was below the bottom line on the dipstick. You have to babysit these folks if you insist on having the dealership do what they're paid to do. Not worth it, IMO, even if it is free.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I SEVERELY doubt only 2 quarts low would starve the engine for oil. 4-5 quarts low MAYBE, but not 2. The oil pickup is 3/4” from the bottom of the oil pan.
^^^ This.

If 2 qts low on a 10 qt system caused a permanent clicking noise in your engine something else is not right.

Sponsored

ClayAce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Quick Oil Change places and dealerships are the WORST place to have any vehicle serviced. Find a mechanic who has been in business for more than 10-15 yrs and build a relationship. I religiously take my cars to the same mechanic for service work. For instance I run my cars 7500 miles between oil changes and when I drop them off at my mechanic he does the following. Oil / filter change, rotate tires, checks brakes (cleans and lubricates), checks other fluid levels and tops off, checks belt, checks hoses, checks battery, checks wipers and even checks to make sure headlights, break lights and indicator lights work. Runs me $150 using Full Synthetic Oil. Worth EVERY penny as I buy my cars new and run them to at least 150,000 miles.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Being 2 quarts low would not damage the engine in any way. You would have to be like 6-7 quarts low maybe more, so the oil level in the pan is lower than the pick up tube. Plus if it did hurt the engine your oil pressure warning would have came on for no oil pressure. Add 2 quarts and carry on with your day, whatever ticking that is there now was there before the oil change or your just hearing things lol.

Mustang Maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible; 2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to throw a grenade on the table......
But I have been turning wrenches for about 4 decades.
Of note, my 06 GT has over 200K on the original engine and transmission and I do all my own work.

Personally, I am mistrustful of anyone else working on my cars - had too many try to pull a fast one over the years.
I say do the work yourself and you will be more satisfied, happier, and I'd say prouder in the end.

Mustang Maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible; 2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Correction....
I do let a local dealer (I go to one I trust - not the closest) do my warranty work, but it has been very rare I have needed it.
Sponsored