Sponsored

Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
GM and FCA offer large displacement engines and N/A V-6's too.
There is no longer a excuse why they cannot and a multitude of reasons why they should.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I can understand why Ford would get out of the passenger car market. SUV are so very much more practical than a 4 door passenger car. The SUV can go down the highway as smooth as a passenger car and perform better than a passenger car in adverse weather conditions. I can not understand why anyone would want a passenger car. The SUV has left the passenger car to fade away into the past. Before the SUV , we had only passenger cars and pickups to choose from . The SUV is the vehicle of the future. The Mustang will survive because Ford needs a two door sporty vehicle.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
About what I figured.
Ford's decline looking huge because of the huge spike from new body style and new foreign interests. Hard to keep going up from a spike like that. It had to settle.
Camaro looking like it's dying because the interest got taken from the Camaro and was split between the other manufacturers. The Camaro didn't see a big decline until 2015..which was the exact date of the Mustang refresh spike and also the introduction of the 392 and Hellcat.
Dodge is the only one steadily doing well I feel because they're the only ones with a 4 door option..and look what's outselling everybody. The Charger. 707hp and a lot of *utility* with a beefy look and affordable price. Nobody else is offering that. Next closest thing is throwing a SOLID 6 figures to the Germans. Dodge has that field all to themselves and that's what I wish Ford did instead of going full on SUV. A nice 4 door electric/hybrid version of the Mustang in an RS6 Avant-esque style would have been better I think.
A tiny fraction of those are Hellcat versions.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I would have been quite happy with the V6 but Ford dropped it and I wasn’t prepared to shell out the extra for the V8. I have some concerns on the longevity of my Ecoboost engine but they probably won’t ever come to fruition. What annoyed me with Ford was that you couldn’t get the Premium package on the V6. That took me out of the used market as I couldn’t get the car optioned the way I wanted it anyway. Whatever they do going forward with powerplants, they should at least make it. I originally started out buying a Challenger and some days I regret not buying it, just never on the days I drop the top.

Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can understand why Ford would get out of the passenger car market. SUV are so very much more practical than a 4 door passenger car. The SUV can go down the highway as smooth as a passenger car and perform better than a passenger car in adverse weather conditions. I can not understand why anyone would want a passenger car. The SUV has left the passenger car to fade away into the past. Before the SUV , we had only passenger cars and pickups to choose from . The SUV is the vehicle of the future. The Mustang will survive because Ford needs a two door sporty vehicle.
Pro SUV:
My folks traded in their Fusion for an Acura SUV of some sort (all SUV's look the same to me), cuz it was getting too hard for him to get in and out sitting down somewhat low in to a passenger car. Maybe as the population continues to age more people might be buying vehicles they can just slide their butt across.

Con SUV:
Supposably millenials can't afford anything and aren't getting married and having families so they don't need these big clown cars to haul all their sh*t around that they don't have and all their spawn that they don't have. So maybe SUV's are only here temporarily and will die off with the boomers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of people who don't like the handling and size of CUVs. I dislike them quite a bit. Their handling of inclement weather is only very marginally better. Only a true 4x4 has a big winter advantage.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The Model T Ford was known as the first car to appeal to the masses and put Americans on wheels. By todays standards , the Model T would be considered a SUV. It had high ground clearance , was practical , had good visibility, and could go off road. Think about it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Pro SUV:
My folks traded in their Fusion for an Acura SUV of some sort (all SUV's look the same to me), cuz it was getting too hard for him to get in and out sitting down somewhat low in to a passenger car. Maybe as the population continues to age more people might be buying vehicles they can just slide their butt across.
Young people who has physical conditions too. My wife first SUV was a 98' Explorer. She's had a bad back since her thirties. The SUV just made it easier for her.

Con SUV:
Supposably millenials can't afford anything and aren't getting married and having families so they don't need these big clown cars to haul all their sh*t around that they don't have and all their spawn that they don't have. So maybe SUV's are only here temporarily and will die off with the boomers.
All UV's are not clown cars. You should drive an Escape or CX5. Both drive and handle like a sports sedan. The 2.0 in my wife's Escape is pretty darn quick too. And as far as being temporary, you make it sound like these vehicles are new. The first Surburban was 1935. The Jeep Wagoneer was 1963. SUV/CUV's will die off when people stop buying them. It has nothing to do with Boomers.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
There are a lot of people who don't like the handling and size of CUVs. I dislike them quite a bit. Their handling of inclement weather is only very marginally better. Only a true 4x4 has a big winter advantage.
And there are millions who do. Have you ever driven a CX5 or Escape in any weather? They are both damn good. And if handling and size are the contributing factors in disliking UV's where is the hate for pickup trucks? most can't handle for shit and even the small F150 is huge.

Face it, this is all about the Mach-E. None of us would be talking about UV's if it wasn't for this.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
And there are millions who do. Have you ever driven a CX5 or Escape in any weather? They are both damn good. And if handling and size are the contributing factors in disliking UV's where is the hate for pickup trucks? most can't handle for shit and even the small F150 is huge.

Face it, this is all about the Mach-E. None of us would be talking about UV's if it wasn't for this.
Yes I have. Again, only a bit better than a sedan (worse than some, like Subarus), and miles off a real 4x4. Pickup trucks have excellent utility and an image. The same people buying them aren't looking for the same things a car offers. Cars have a place and a purpose, and Ford abandoning them will hurt them. It already has with them and GM: nearly half of their car buyers in the last year have not returned to them for a CUV, they go get a car from another brand. There were ~1.3M people who bought cars last year. Not exactly a tiny market.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Cars have a place and a purpose, and Ford abandoning them will hurt them. It already has with them and GM: nearly half of their car buyers in the last year have not returned to them for a CUV, they go get a car from another brand. There were ~1.3M people who bought cars last year. Not exactly a tiny market.
Agreed. I think we are only looking at short term loses. We do not know Ford's grand scheme. They are still selling car overseas so getting back into the US market, if need be, will not be that difficult. By the way there were almost 900K F150's sold in 2019. Kind of makes that 1.3m look pale in comparision.

As far as our Mustangs go, 2020 will see another sales drop (68/70K?) and then the 2021 refresh. Depending on what it is we might see a slight uptick although that didn't help in 2018. After that who knows. What's the kill point? 40K, 50K, 60K. Right now I'm hopeful for a S650 but not convinced it will happen.

YEAR TOTAL
2019 - 72,489
2018 - 75,842
2017 - 81,866
2016 - 105,932
2015 - 122,349
2014 - 82,635

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. I think we are only looking at short term loses. We do not know Ford's grand scheme. They are still selling car overseas so getting back into the US market, if need be, will not be that difficult. By the way there were almost 900K F150's sold in 2019. Kind of makes that 1.3m look pale in comparision.

As far as our Mustangs go, 2020 will see another sales drop (68/70K?) and then the 2021 refresh. Depending on what it is we might see a slight uptick although that didn't help in 2018. After that who knows. What's the kill point? 40K, 50K, 60K. Right now I'm hopeful for a S650 but not convinced it will happen.

YEAR TOTAL
2019 - 72,489
2018 - 75,842
2017 - 81,866
2016 - 105,932
2015 - 122,349
2014 - 82,635
Margins. They'll turn the mustang into a margin vehicle. 60-70k is plenty.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
And don't forget those "rest of the world" Mustang sales. You can add 40% to the current totals. Going global was a bold but brilliant move. That being said, the V8 will be tough for Ford to sell in Europe soon. Not because people don't want V8s (in Britain, at least, I believe the ratio is 60/40 in favour of the GT)......but more because of tough emissions standards. If Ford are smart they'll ensure the V8 hybrid is available worldwide.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SUVs don't get as good of fuel economy as a car and SUVs cost more. SUVs also are heavier and so they accelerate, stop and turn more slowly than cars do. SUVs are more likely to roll over due to their high center of gravity. If you accept the premise that vehicles are bad for the environment, SUVs are much worse than cars. So if you believe in being environmentally friendly by burning less fuel or using less energy, you should be buying a small car.

I understand lots of people like SUVs, but don't try to pretend there aren't any down sides to an SUV.

Young people who has physical conditions too. My wife first SUV was a 98' Explorer. She's had a bad back since her thirties. The SUV just made it easier for her.

All UV's are not clown cars. You should drive an Escape or CX5. Both drive and handle like a sports sedan. The 2.0 in my wife's Escape is pretty darn quick too. And as far as being temporary, you make it sound like these vehicles are new. The first Surburban was 1935. The Jeep Wagoneer was 1963. SUV/CUV's will die off when people stop buying them. It has nothing to do with Boomers.
Come on, "sports sedan"? An Escape? That's just silly to say.
Sponsored