Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Interesting read for all muscle car sales 2019

https://www-foxnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.foxnews.com/auto/the-ford-mustang-won-the-american-muscle-car-sales-race-in-2019.amp

The Ford Mustang won the American muscle car sales race in 2019

In the end, it wasn’t even close.

Three months after the Dodge Challenger blew the Ford Mustang away on the third quarter reports, the pony car pulled away for a commanding full-year win among American muscle cars.

Ford moved 17,124 in the fourth quarter to finish 2019 at 72,489, handily beating the Challenger’s final tally of 60,997.

Dodge sold 18,301 of the aging coupes – which originally debuted in 2008 – in the third quarter on the back of a “Power Dollars” promotion that offered $10 per horsepower in incentives ranging from $2,920 to $7,970, depending on the model, but followed that up with just 14,298 more deliveries through the end of the year.

The Chevrolet Camaro ended the year a distant third with 48,265 sales after a flat quarter, despite receiving an emergency styling update late in the year in an effort to improve its appeal.

However, all three of the two-doors were outsold by the Dodge Charger sedan, which the automaker bills as a four-door muscle car. The full-size family car shares a platform and many of its powertrain options with the Challenger, including a 707 hp Hellcat V8 that makes it the most powerful sedan in the world and helped propel it to 96,935 sales.

The Mustang received added attention with the arrival this fall of the $73,995 Shelby GT500, which is a low volume, but high profile model meant to put a halo over the entire lineup.

Overall Ford sales were down 3.5 percent for 2019 as it discontinued several cars and sales of its popular passenger models, the Explorer and Escape, both saw double-digit declines during the transition to all-new versions that entered production mid-year.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Agree....underwhelming performance across the board.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
If the Camaro goes away as expected, there are potentially more sales for Ford and Dodge to split. I don't see the Corvette poaching very many of those.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Do those numbers include international sales?

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
About what I figured.
Ford's decline looking huge because of the huge spike from new body style and new foreign interests. Hard to keep going up from a spike like that. It had to settle.
Camaro looking like it's dying because the interest got taken from the Camaro and was split between the other manufacturers. The Camaro didn't see a big decline until 2015..which was the exact date of the Mustang refresh spike and also the introduction of the 392 and Hellcat.
Dodge is the only one steadily doing well I feel because they're the only ones with a 4 door option..and look what's outselling everybody. The Charger. 707hp and a lot of *utility* with a beefy look and affordable price. Nobody else is offering that. Next closest thing is throwing a SOLID 6 figures to the Germans. Dodge has that field all to themselves and that's what I wish Ford did instead of going full on SUV. A nice 4 door electric/hybrid version of the Mustang in an RS6 Avant-esque style would have been better I think.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I have to wonder what’s going on? I can’t see them pulling out completely, but then again it’s happened before with the camaro but they had at least the GTO in the most recent gap years. From its NASCAR side, they’d have to have something though. They just switch the cup from the SS look to the ZR1. And NASCAR mandates that what the manufacturers chose must be something selling on the lot. I mean they could chose the vette but that’s the last coupe in their portfolio. I’m FORD true and true but the data proves things are on a decline. I hate to say this but I feel that hybrid performance is not only the future but an available option that might get the next generation of enthusiasts hooked into the car scene.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Lack of trust of the Ecoboost.
No V-6 option.
Quality issues with the 5.0
Lack of a large displacement V-8
No Cobra Jet offering

If Ford would address these issues, sales would take off again.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Lack of trust of the Ecoboost.
No V-6 option.
Quality issues with the 5.0
Lack of a large displacement V-8
No Cobra Jet offering

If Ford would address these issues, sales would take off again.
I am in agreement but none will occur as it comes all back to the root of the issue. Meeting EPA standards.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I have to wonder what’s going on? I can’t see them pulling out completely, but then again it’s happened before with the camaro but they had at least the GTO in the most recent gap years. From its NASCAR side, they’d have to have something though. They just switch the cup from the SS look to the ZR1. And NASCAR mandates that what the manufacturers chose must be something selling on the lot. I mean they could chose the vette but that’s the last coupe in their portfolio. I’m FORD true and true but the data proves things are on a decline. I hate to say this but I feel that hybrid performance is not only the future but an available option that might get the next generation of enthusiasts hooked into the car scene.
NASCAR uses all the same bodies I think. Plus GM ran a car for many years that didn't come from factory as a two door. Won't affect NASCAR

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If Ford continues to refine the current Mustang chassis and offer special edition packages, I think they will make enough money to keep the Mustang from dying.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
NASCAR uses all the same bodies I think. Plus GM ran a car for many years that didn't come from factory as a two door. Won't affect NASCAR
As someone associated with the sport, they aren’t the same least still yet this coming year. We’ll see in 2021 with the next generation car how much is left up to manufacture and each team. NASCAR as a body has a template and degrees which manufactures much abide by. From the TV it looks all the same but I’ll assume you Ford Chevy Toyota all have different characteristics.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
With sales being slow, hopefully Ford will do what Dodge has done and add power and comfort. In my opinion it's time for Ford to move beyond the 5.0 and go larger. Much as I'd like to see the Mustang get smaller, sales figures show that most people like the bigger cars better. I think a minor refresh with some 5.2 engines available at a minimum would be a good move. I'd prefer to see Ford go to 5.5 or 5.7 liters at least.
The other thing is the seats could be improved in my opinion. Focus on interior comfort. More content in the base cars would probably help as well.
Sponsored