Sponsored

Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The Challenger is really a bit too big to be considered a ponycar. It's probably closer to what has been called "gentleman's express", really a different category from either the Mustang or the Camaro. At least among US Domestics, it has the entire field to itself.

Dodge has the V8 sedan and whatever category the Challenger truly belongs in pretty much locked up at this point. I'm not at all sure that either Ford or Chevrolet would do any better by building the Mustang or the Camaro more in the Challenger vein.

Norm
When I bought my '16 GT I really wanted a 392 Challenger. At the time SRT was the only way to get the 392 and they were just too expensive, at least for me. A couple years later I got a Scat Pack. I REALLY liked the car. The torque is lovely. It feels and drives like a big car. For those who remember the late 60s I liken the Challenger to a Chevelle. On the street I could drive as fast as my GT, but in corners the car was much closer to the edge and it was fatiguing driving it fast. I ended up back in a Mustang and I feel much more at home. Now in a PP2 and I don't know where the edge even is. I love muscle cars, but sporty is just more fun.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I hope your right but 72k cars is a drop in Ford's bucket. Also depends on how long they can support the 5.0.
Lets face it if there wasn't a V8 in the F150 the Mustang wouldn't have one ether. As long as the F150 has a V8 our Mustang will have one.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Go Mustang Mach E !!:thumbsdown:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So, just wondering. If Ford’s green-lighting of the S650 depended on the success of the Mustang Mach-E would it be OK then? If the Mach-E were to fail and Ford decided that our Mustang was no longer needed for its history would that be OK?

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So, just wondering. If Ford’s green-lighting of the S650 depended on the success of the Mustang Mach-E would it be OK then? If the Mach-E were to fail and Ford decided that our Mustang was no longer needed for its history would that be OK?
It wouldn't be okay for our Mustang to die but there is a new younger generation starting to run the company and almost all of them are not what we would define as car guys. For them making money for the company means more the history of the Mustang.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Personally, IMHO, I just think Ford is on the verge of financial problems in the near future.
Mean while Honda/Toyota sell 350,000 Accords and Camry's every year. I dunno. Time will tell.

All I really know is I'm enjoying the hell out of my 'Stang.
:handsinair:

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
For the non full EV, I would love to see the Mustang get lighter which will improve everything (acceleration, braking, handling, MPG, etc).
That's what I'm thinking. Why not an all-aluminum 'Stang? Knocking 500lbs off is the equivalent of another 50HP, right? Better handling and mileage to boot.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think the right person in the right place at Ford could make an aluminum block 7.3 liter V8 happen in a Mustang. The 7.3 liter would be narrower than an OHC engine and less complex. The engine could be naturally aspirated with port injection. The engine would not have to be the most powerful , but could be used in a Mach 1 type Mustang that would be a performance luxury Mustang like the original Mach 1. I like OHC engines , but I also like pushrod engines. I have three Mustangs with pushrod engines and two with OHC engines. I would think a 7.3 liter pushrod V8 would be less expensive to build than an OHC engine and would not have to be built on a niche line. I am not saying OHC V8 engines would have to be replaced. The OHC engines could remain in the Mustang lineup.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I sincerely hope Ford wouldn't be foolish enough to let the future of Mustang/S650 rest on the success of Mach E (but then if Ford weren't foolish, they wouldn't have named Mach E a Mustang.....so who knows!). Surely, in any successful company, a product has to deliver to it's original business case. That would normally be a certain amount of $$ profit. Some companies will allow a product to continue if its seen as a brand icon, even if it's losing money. Other products in the line up would be expected to cover those loses though.

And, besides, we're not going to know if Mach E is a true sales success for about 18 months. The first cars might reach customers very late this year, and it'll take another 3-6 months to see how those sales are stacking up (Ford can blow smoke about "sold out first editions" all they like, but so far all they have are reservations, not solid sales).

Ford needs to keep the real Mustang fresh and get S650 on sale for the 23/24MY at the very latest. A stale product won't sell, so Ford will only have themselves to blame when Mustangs sales continue to slide.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lets face it if there wasn't a V8 in the F150 the Mustang wouldn't have one ether. As long as the F150 has a V8 our Mustang will have one.
You're not the only one to say this, but to me it's an extremely silly statement. For some reason people forget that Ford makes a GT500 with a unique V8. And a GT350 with a unique V8. And a Ford GT with a (mostly) unique V6.

SO - if Ford decides they want a unique V8 in the Mustang - they can do it absolutely no problem. Don't doubt me. It's obvious because they are already doing this in multiple low volume platforms.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
SO - if Ford decides they want a unique V8 in the Mustang - they can do it absolutely no problem. Don't doubt me. It's obvious because they are already doing this in multiple low volume platforms.
there's that little thing called price point that allows them to recoup their direct costs. The engines themselves are nothing special from a manufacturing standpoint - very little difference from the much higher volume donor engine which has long since recouped it's R&D and tooling costs. The Voodoo wouldn't exist if there wasn't already 20 years worth of Coyote.

Even if the Mach-E be a roaring success (I put 1 chance in 20) the ICE Mustang will continue until unit sales crash below a critical threshold or it's outlawed. R&D won't happen though - just coating along for 10 years like the previous 2 generations. Will it live past 2025? If the Mach-E or the Escape-Hybrid come up with a good drive-train they can repackage, then probably.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
there's that little thing called price point that allows them to recoup their direct costs. The engines themselves are nothing special from a manufacturing standpoint - very little difference from the much higher volume donor engine which has long since recouped it's R&D and tooling costs. The Voodoo wouldn't exist if there wasn't already 20 years worth of Coyote.
I agree with you that Ford could make any V8 engine - like the 5.8 liter in the older GT500s. They could easily make that 5.8 liter but with the modern improvements from the current GT500 - and so it would have quite a bit more power. They could make a naturally aspirated version of that 5.8 liter. They could make any V10 engine like they did in pickups. They could make turbo straight 6s if they wanted - like the Barra.

And any of those could go in the Mustang. Any displacement they choose as well. Any of them will require unique tooling and unique parts, but Ford could easily do any of them.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Not everybody who buys a Mustang has drag racing as a top priority. If they did, the Mustang would have died off a decade or two ago. Except that the considerable numbers of people who still bought the NA sixxers effectively told Ford otherwise.

Norm
Norm, I understand this.
But there is a huge base out there that are into Drag Racing.
Just look at all the hype surrounding the GT500. It's almost entirely about the 1320.
The truth is that the track car fad is getting played out.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Ford would never offer such an engine as regular production.

It is my understanding that E-85 is sometimes E-I-wish-I-was-85.

Norm
You know that they could just offer the 450hp version and let us do the rest.
It's far better than anything Coyote based excluding the Predator.
Being able to up your hp to over 720 with a tune and fuel would be a game changer in sales.
Sorry but my Sun does not rise and set on the Coyote.
Ford has other options and they should let the buying public decide.
The Coyote tick stopped me dead in my tracks when it came to buying a Mustang.
Those other engines I mention could've changed my opinion.
Sponsored