Sponsored

Is the 10 speed really that much better than the 6 speed auto?

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I appreciate all the responses guys. and hlh1, that is my mind set. I would have purchased the performance pack on my '17 GT A6, but for some dumb reason Ford didn't see fit to offer it. I traded a performance pack car in on my '17 (MT-82 issues and my own messed up knee) so I knew at the time of purchase that I wanted to add those parts back, and knew it would be expensive. I also knew the '18 A10 would have this option, but at the time, the '18s were just coming out, and they were much more expensive because of the new features. They have dropped down considerably now, and that fact makes this more feasible. While I could add most of the performance pack stuff back to my '17, It then becomes a modded car. Warranty comes into question, as does resale value, what if problems arise from the installations of the parts? For the not too huge price difference I get the new trans, what seems to be way more than 25 hp, and 2 years more on warranty. Plus, it's instant gratification. I don't have to buy the parts, wait for them to get here, and then have them installed and hoping the tech does it right. I just drive my '17 to the dealership, and drive out with all the stuff I want on my '19. To make the deal work, I would have to give up the leather, heated and cooled seats, and a few other things I don't care about. Not going to lie, I'm going to miss my cooled seats here in SC, but it does seems worth it. I am really surprised no one has recommended keeping my current car. Figured someone would have just said to modify what I have and enjoy it. If I do do it, I just hope I don't end up with a problem Gen III Coyote.
Like you I also considered having a "modded car" and just having all those performance parts under warranty. It's just icing on the cake to get another 25 hp, extra warranty years, and increased MPG. I got all this for only an $8k up-charge from my trade in. My 19GT still has the cooled and heated seats like my 17 GT CS did, and I was also happy to get another Ruby Red. :like:
Sponsored

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
10 spd all the way, the big advantage comparing with the 6R80 is that the RPMs don't drop as much and the engine is always on the sweet spot of the power band ready for the next shift which is great for racing and the coyote motor loves it. The rpms on the 6r80 drop quite a bit especially 3-4 and on, while racing.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I had the A6 in my 15 and I wasn't impressed with it until it was tuned. The A10 in my 18 is much better and the shifts are so much quicker.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
You will actually lol the first time you drive it and play with the driving modes.

It is ludicrous how it mimics downshifts from a manual transmission coming to stops....

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Is it better. Unless you just love rowing the gears, the A10 is better IMO. I had a 2017 GT350 and a 2019 base car with the A10. The base car was faster in every respect of straight line performance although rated at 62 less HP, 460 vs 526 stock. I ran both cars down the 1/4 mile at Royal Purple Raceway. The base car was faster. It shifts fast and is just awesome. The only thing I liked about the manual over the A10 was rowing the gears. Other than that, the A10 is the superior option.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
2018+ A10 in a nut-shell:
Faster in a straight line
More boring than a 40 year marriage
Uglier than a fox body

PS: Stop buying new cars
I should take your PS advise but I cannot. I love new cars and completely understand the financial consequences of buying them. You can't take the money with you and my kid will make his own money. LOL. Hell, he will get the house when we kick the bucket and that will do him well.

I am currently down to a 2011 F-150 though. Biding my time until I buy a GT500 in 2022 or a new Bronco, undecided on that one since the F-150 4x4 is working perfectly knock on wood. Sell the F-150 and get a Bronco or keep it and get a GT500. Old man who still makes money problems. Not that 48 is that old. Of course the wife has the same bug. She wants to trade in the 2016 Audi A7 for a used R8. Not sure about that one but who knows.

Anyway, get the A10.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
2018+ A10 in a nut-shell:
Faster in a straight line
More boring than a 40 year marriage
Uglier than a fox body

PS: Stop buying new cars
Stop harshing my mellow!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
DCT keeps the next gear in que. Nuff said right there. That said. I love the MT82.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My Porsche had the PDK transmission, which is their name for DCT. It has one clutch for even gears and one for odd gears and pre-selects the next gear. When it shifts, it just swaps clutches. It feels very much like a manual transmission, ecept it is 100 times faster..

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is it better. Unless you just love rowing the gears, the A10 is better IMO. I had a 2017 GT350 and a 2019 base car with the A10. The base car was faster in every respect of straight line performance although rated at 62 less HP, 460 vs 526 stock. I ran both cars down the 1/4 mile at Royal Purple Raceway. The base car was faster. It shifts fast and is just awesome. The only thing I liked about the manual over the A10 was rowing the gears. Other than that, the A10 is the superior option.
Experienced this with an impromptu GT350 here from a roll. I was surprised that the 18 was neck and neck with the '50 up to highway speeds.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I would definitely opt for 10 speed. However, can you not add magneride to a gt now without performance pack 2 on the 2020? If that is the case, I seriously hate how Ford limits mix and match on components. Drive your way...what a joke.