Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Kia Stinger GT

17 Fusion Sport 2.7TT AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
"The beginning of my career was at Audi ... it took three generations of the A8 to be seen on eye level to a BMW 7 Series or Mercedes S-Class. You have to persevere."
- Gregory Guillaume, VP/Senior Chief Designer, Kia Styling Studio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Audi A5/S5 is the Stinger's competition.
(A5/S5 in production for 12 model years, Stinger Base/GT for 2 model years)

KIA Stinger Sales (August 2017 release to date):
US - 27,084
Europe - 7,279
TOTAL - 34,363

Audi A5/S5 Sales
(same period as above)
US - 53,775
Europe - 101,341
TOTAL - 155,116

Comparatively, US Stinger sales are strong. Europeans have yet to let go of their affinity for badges.

Stinger is off to a great start.
oglvvd.gif

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are some people in the US that will buy a cheap car just to save money. Some of those people will be angry in the end if their inexpensive vehicle ends up being lower quality. Time will tell whether the Stinger holds up or if they have reliability issues.

IMO the Stinger is too large and ugly to be in the same conversation with Mustang, but I could see where some BMW buyers might consider a Stinger because it costs less. I agree that if Kia holds on and keeps making the car for 10+ years - then if the original cars are still doing really well as far as reliability and performance goes - then the Kia Stinger will have a good reputation and it will probably get more sales. Sales over time might also increase if the styling is improved.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
There are some people in Europe that will buy an overpriced car just to show off a badge. Some of those people will be frustrated in the end if their overpriced vehicles ends up being mediocre for what they paid. Time will tell whether the Euro cars maintains their lead or if people will wake up and start doing the math.

IMO talking about looks is subjective and therefore senseless with any car, but I could see where some ... actually most ... Stinger buyers think their cars look awesome because it just is. I agree that if KIA continues making sub 13 second upscale sports sedans for any amount of time - then if the competition hasn't stepped up to the plate and drastically improved their cars - then KIA Stingers will make sense to more buyers and Euro cars will probably lose more buyers. Sales over time might also increase if the competition drastically improves their styling/performance quotient.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I think most feel it is a good car by Kia but refuse to put out the initial amount.

Most I believe will be looking for a gently used 2 year old Stinger with significant depreciation.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
I think most feel it is a good car by Kia but refuse to put out the initial amount.

Most I believe will be looking for a gently used 2 year old Stinger with significant depreciation.
Does anybody put out the initial amount? lol

There are deals to be made on new Stingers, really good deals. As is the case with most new cars.

And there will be good used car deals on them too. Just like there are with most used cars.

Whether new or used, nothing in it's class even remotely comes close to it for the price.

Similarly equipped/performing Audi S5's are 10-15k more, easy.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The stinger is made by Hyundai/Kia. they’ve got engineering down these days. And have for that last 10 years or so.

It will be reliable and the quality will hold up.
What won’t hold up is the performance when compared to the Mustang.

pretty silly comparison actually. But still fun. I remember when Hyundai was all uppity about pitting the Genesis against the underpowered pre 5.0 5G Mustang. what was sad is that it was able to compete.

Things are set right this gen.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Does anybody put out the initial amount? lol

There are deals to be made on new Stingers, really good deals. As is the case with most new cars..
Notice I said initial amount and not MSRP. No matter how good a deal you get new it will not compare to what you can get two years later.

And the truth is most people no matter the deal do not feel comfortable paying the new price for a Kia/Hyundai. It does seem the Telluride might be breaking that trend though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are some people in Europe that will buy an overpriced car just to show off a badge. Some of those people will be frustrated in the end if their overpriced vehicles ends up being mediocre for what they paid. Time will tell whether the Euro cars maintains their lead or if people will wake up and start doing the math.

IMO talking about looks is subjective and therefore senseless with any car, but I could see where some ... actually most ... Stinger buyers think their cars look awesome because it just is. I agree that if KIA continues making sub 13 second upscale sports sedans for any amount of time - then if the competition hasn't stepped up to the plate and drastically improved their cars - then KIA Stingers will make sense to more buyers and Euro cars will probably lose more buyers. Sales over time might also increase if the competition drastically improves their styling/performance quotient.
I admit I'm a brand name guy. I have a bunch of Craftsman tools, for instance. I have found that I prefer to pay more initially for something that doesn't give me trouble over time. It's annoying having to buy new tools over and over versus having tools that function well and last virtually forever.

I'm also cautious, especially with larger purchases. It's great for people like me that there are people like you around who will buy something that has less/no brand name and trust that the quality will be there over the years. I may buy a Kia sometime in the distant future if their products prove to be great over the years.

I have owned many 20+ year old Fords with well over 200,000 miles because I'm cheap and I've had good luck with them. So I do trust Ford much more than other brands, especially a relative newcomer like Kia.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
The stinger is made by Hyundai/Kia ... It will be reliable and the quality will hold up ... What won’t hold up is the performance when compared to the Mustang ... pretty silly comparison actually. But still fun ...
I agree the comparison makes no sense (heh, I'm not the one who started this thread). lol

When I purchased 11 Mustangs throughout my life, it was because I wanted a V8 pony car. When I bought the Stinger GT, it was because I wanted a car with more room, that was as quick and fast as my 16 Mustang GT, that looked great, that didn't carry an overpriced Euro badge, which could be driven in every season. Mission accomplished.

Notice I said initial amount and not MSRP. No matter how good a deal you get new it will not compare to what you can get two years later.

And the truth is most people no matter the deal do not feel comfortable paying the new price for a Kia/Hyundai. It does seem the Telluride might be breaking that trend though.
Take note I pointed out what people were paying and not any other irrelevant figures. However you look at it, 99% of all cars lose a great deal of value when used.

The stark reality is that KIA is offering an incredible high performance sports sedan, at an incredible price, with an incredible warranty, that has received incredibly positive reviews. It literally has no competition, and time will tell if badge lovers will realize these facts and make the change.
Sponsored