1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I never would have never expected 500lbs heavier than a GT350.

Wright is the enemy of a corner carving car.

Maybe in a straight line not as big of a deal, that's up to you.

Best Regards,
Dave
Notice the people who respond to you have probably never driven on a road course? Lol.

The GT500 is a straight line car anyways. Those trying to make it a road course car are better off getting a mustang GT4 or a GT350R. Starting with a heavy car and dropping weight to STILL be heavier than a more track focused variant is working backwards. Sure the car has the power, all the power, but can the driver actually wring out the performance? Can they accomplish Randy Pobst (pro) times to warrant spending that $$$ on making a GT500 a track monster? Answer: No
Sponsored

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
And you missed my point. Go read my first post. How was saying the car will run mid 10s stock. And will beat a zle bashing???????? F#%k you guys are thick. A few of you are so full of yourselves. You can't seperate the good from the bad. What I refuse to do. Is give Ford a pass for all the lame bullsh!t they've pulled with this car. And the S550 in general. Puzzle piece horsepower reveal? Really? But they wont release the weight of the car. Til the thing is ready to hit the f#%king streets? Think about that. They hid that sh!t til the car went on sale! Obviously that was for good reason. You say you don't care about the weight? Every read a Hellcat review. Where they said it makes for an exceptional road course car? Yea me either. Endless development time. And here we are. Almost 2020. And we still dont know if its faster than a Hellcat or ZL1? We hear venom kills demons. DOES IT? And as far as the "poor" thing goes. Own it! I pointed out Im in the top 5 or 6 percent income bracket for this country. And a few said. I shouldn't brag about my income. But somehow assuming anyone that doesn't completely blow the GT500 is broke and cant afford the car is a poor?Yea that's real f#%kin classy. I considered a GT500. I decided against that purchase. Doesn't change my right to have an opinion about it. I sincerely hope the GT500. Lives up to the hype. This poor is done with this fanboy bullsh!t. I tried to talk sense to the Camaro fan boys. when I owned a Camaro. They didn't want to hear anything negative either. Look at them now.
Bluebeastsrt I think it would help me understand you more if you would tell me what your expectations were for the Shelby GT500. I get it the puzzle piece hp reveal was frustrating, hiding the weight to late is also frustrating. I also agree the development time was long and fighting the ADM monster was not fun. What metrics had to be met for you to buy one? What cars would it have to beat either drag racing, track racing or both and at what price point? It is true that I am not going to race this GT500 but I have drag raced for many years at Budds Creek MD when I lived near there and I have also raced many SCCA courses and other various track events. I also participated in drifting events when I lived in Tokyo. I did both the Tokyo Rainbow Bridge run and the Auqua Line run when I was there also. I fully admit that the Shelby GT500 is fat at 4,225lbs but we don't know the lateral acceleration yet and there are even super cars that are over 4,000lbs that hold 1.4g lat acel. The GT500 has an impressive 0-100-0 time. For me it is a great car at a great price since I was able to avoid the ADM. So without any malice or discontent I ask you what is the whole picture in regards to this car that would have taken for you to buy it? Such as beat the ZL1E on the track and beat the Demon on the strip, addtional HP, come in at what weight and etc. I will be the first person to apologize to you about categorizing you as a hater or a P.O.O.R if I were able to understand your position fully.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Just to lighten the mood. It has to do with Computers and driving....
Hard Drive.JPG

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I am not bragging about just straight line numbers. There is more more factors than just weight when you consider consistent lap times. As I have said before the Bugatti Veryon is over 4,000 lbs. but can hold 1.4g in latteral acceleration so it can out corner many cars much lower in weight. You are right that tires will wear out under more weight but you have to pay to play when it comes to racing on the track. The GT 500 has more coolers, cooling surfaces and the largest heat extractor ever on a Mustang. It is highly likely that it will cool as advertised even by independant tests. Still not even one other car that can do 0-100-0 at the same price point? No one knows the latteral acceleration numbers yet but fat ladies can dance just as the Veryon does at over 4,000lbs.
Horrible example, veyron uses besoke tires, is mid engine and awd.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
There are heavy cars that corner very well. The Bugatti Veryon is over 4,000lbs and it is a super car that burns up the road in a straight line and carves up the corners. There are many much lighter cars that can't touch it.
Kinda not fair, it has over 1100hp

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I see your words are not blue anymore
I figured since it was to be my last post in this thread. Id be flexable for once. You just had to point it out.:)And the f#%king blue is back.:devil:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I figured since it was to be my last post in this thread. Id be flexable for once. You just had to point it out.:)And the f#%king blue is back.:devil:
I state them as I see them, and it obviously was not your last post, since you are back. You don't have to go.

Hey, it you had a big booger on your lip, wouldn't you want someone to say something before it fell into your mouth?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
There is a lot of concern on weight. It is dominating the Shelby and Mustang forums for sure. But I still say lets have a wait and see approach. I think people are segregated into different groups for this car.

1. Track rats that want every bit of performance available.
2. 1/4 drivers who live their lives a 1/4 at a time.
3. The street guy who will own the roll and dig scene.
4. The enthusiast that wants a killer on tracks and caddy on the street.
5. People who just like cars.
6. People who hate anything new not designed the way they wanted it to be.

I see all of these people here. In the end I do believe this car will disappoint maybe 1~5. Yes the car is heavier than some thought. I am one who believe it would be heavier do to the new DCT and S/C alone. People seem to forget just how much fluids can weigh. But any rate, there are cars that perform quite well. The GT-R comes to mind. A ZLE is not exactly a lightweight with the A10 in it..So lets just see how well it does. I seriously doubt that Ford would put a under-performer out in the wild for as long as it took this car to show.

If the car flops, then it flops. But this I do not think will happen. So now that it is all out there...we just need to see the reviews come in. So in the words of mortal combat...

IT HAS BEGUN !!!!!

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Don't know why the actual weight stats are really any surprise. Anyone who knows how much these components weigh on other platforms can easily get to the sum of the parts (such as several of us did on the thread of this "leak" to arrive at a very plausible 400-500 lbs weight gain):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...225lbs-curb-weight.108893/page-7#post-2331071

This is the whole reason why there is a GT500 and GT350. The GT500 will likely be faster overall on the average track, as you'll be able to mash the pedal on the straights, get the full benefit of the DCT doing rapid fire shifting/putting the torque down to get some insane speed on those straights, use those gigantic brakes to slow it down, and it will probably corner slower than a GT350, but still have an overall fast lap time (higher average speed). Then there's the feeling of weight/tossability, which at 500 lbs more with essentially similar suspension, will definitely feel much more nose-heavy and will be more of a handful in transitions on a road course.

If you want a straight-line torque monster, not worry about heel-toe-downshifting, and that can hold its own on a road course against some pretty fast cars, the GT500 is for you. If you prefer a more balanced experience of handling/tossability, like to do more technical tracks/auto-x, want a more analog MT experience, while sacrificing brute force then the 350/R is for you. I don't view the 500 as a substitute for the 350, just a different flavor depending on what your priorities are and what trade-off you prefer.

Kudos to Ford for offering two awesome options of great performance/value!

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I think the weight is fine for what it is. I would love to buy one if I could afford to have it next to my GT350. The only option I think is must have is CFTP. I don't care about the technology pack or painted stripes and I can live without Cobra puddles and BLIS. They weight extras anyway and I think CarPlay is far superior to the Nav because of Waze and it is what I use instead of the built in Nav in my GT350. I wish I could buy one anyway.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Hey, it is not about the weight at all, it is what it can do even with the extra. Who cares, it will perform. What is the old saying, "Fat girls try harder!!".

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Look how much this thing weighed and it hauled ass....it is all about the power and finesse to make up for it.

upload_2019-8-16_14-1-11.png

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't hate the Shelby for it being heavy, but it is disappointing as it lessens the performance potential (it will be high, but it could be higher). The fact is that every performance metric would be better if the car was lighter. Acceleration, braking, turning. So those that are saying "wait and see" for the tests...it's more about leaving something on the table due to the extra weight. Sure, it may best the ZL1 around a track, and will best the ZL1 in the 1/4 mile. But if the car was 200 lbs lighter it would run the 1/4 mile quicker and at a slightly higher trap speed and be faster around a track. The ZL1 has all the proper cooling, a bit more torque, and it weighs ~3,950 lbs. The GT500 is without question at a disadvantage with the extra ~275 lbs. Can they make some of that up with power and suspension/chassis tuning? Sure. But if it was lighter, it would be faster, no question. Also, the base GT350 is 420 lbs lighter than the base GT500. That's a lot of extra weight when compared to the competitors' N/A to S/C offerings.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Notice the people who respond to you have probably never driven on a road course? Lol.

The GT500 is a straight line car anyways. Those trying to make it a road course car are better off getting a mustang GT4 or a GT350R. Starting with a heavy car and dropping weight to STILL be heavier than a more track focused variant is working backwards. Sure the car has the power, all the power, but can the driver actually wring out the performance? Can they accomplish Randy Pobst (pro) times to warrant spending that $$$ on making a GT500 a track monster? Answer: No
Gotcha. So the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE...because they are heavier than the SS 1LE are working backwards. What was GM thinking. Or are you saying this formula only works for GM?

It has already been said the GT500 is going to be faster than the GT350R around every (but the smallest) of tracks.

As for wringing out the performance, this is the case with every high horsepower car period. The Z06 and ZL1 are complete handfuls at the track.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Sure, it's hefty, but my only real nit to pick about the new GT500 is that it wasn't twin turbo this time around.
Sponsored