Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I don't hate the Shelby for it being heavy, but it is disappointing as it lessens the performance potential (it will be high, but it could be higher). The fact is that every performance metric would be better if the car was lighter. Acceleration, braking, turning. So those that are saying "wait and see" for the tests...it's more about leaving something on the table due to the extra weight. Sure, it may best the ZL1 around a track, and will best the ZL1 in the 1/4 mile. But if the car was 200 lbs lighter it would run the 1/4 mile quicker and at a slightly higher trap speed and be faster around a track. The ZL1 has all the proper cooling, a bit more torque, and it weighs ~3,950 lbs. The GT500 is without question at a disadvantage with the extra ~275 lbs. Can they make some of that up with power and suspension/chassis tuning? Sure. But if it was lighter, it would be faster, no question. Also, the base GT350 is 420 lbs lighter than the base GT500. That's a lot of extra weight when compared to the competitors' N/A to S/C offerings.
Everything comes for a price. Would you pay $20k to shed another 200lbs...if the car already is able to beat (handily) it's competition?

Again, why are you disappointed in potential when it quite possible will destroy the competition?

I'm just not getting it. How can anyone be disappointed in a car that (possibly) beats every performance metric of it competitors?

Are you disappointed that the C8 corvette is heavier than the C7?

If the GT500 weighed 8000 lbs and ran a 10 second flat 1/4 mile with track times destroying the 1LE, would you still be disappointed?

How do you not see your argument is lame? You are arguing about a specification, not about performance. It's like arguing that you wish the wheelbase was shorter rather than concerning about how it performs.
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Sure, it's hefty, but my only real nit to pick about the new GT500 is that it wasn't twin turbo this time around.
I was surprised myself. Since every manufacturer is going TT or at least T. But Ford stuck with previous GT500 offing and just made it better. For sure the TT would probably be lighter, but TT have their own set of problems.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
1st, I can’t believe this thread is still going strong, the car is heavy!
2nd, Did this weight really surprise anyone? Especially after seeing a test mule 350 with the 500 front end. The 500 is essentially a 350 with a heavier crank and a 200 lbs supercharger. Not like they re-designed everything just for the 500.
And last, we haven’t even seen a hot lap from the 500 yet, nobody has a clue what this thing will do at a big boy track, not your parking lot races. You want to race in the parking lots get a Mazda. Let’s see the pro’s get it and then have a better opinion.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Gotcha. So the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE...because they are heavier than the SS 1LE are working backwards. What was GM thinking. Or are you saying this formula only works for GM?

It has already been said the GT500 is going to be faster than the GT350R around every (but the smallest) of tracks.

As for wringing out the performance, this is the case with every high horsepower car period. The Z06 and ZL1 are complete handfuls at the track.
Nah, you're working backwards if you have a 4100lb car that already has carbon bits and is still a boat.
ZL1 is 2-300 lbs heavier than a SS. GT500 is 4-500lbs heavier than the GT. The ZL1 has room to lose weight specifically with lighter wheels and a carbon DS. You will be spending more to drop weight on a heavier car, regardless of ZL1/GT500 price. The GT500 may do 1-2 fast laps, but we have yet to see how it will perform lap after lap, im not talking about engine or blower heatsoak/overheating.
The SCCA guy already mentioned it, heavy car slowing down repeatedly is going to wear on tires and brakes. We'll see though, because the heaviest car that is track capable is a ZL1 1LE, 39xxlbs (auto), 38xxlbs (manual). Im curious how that DCT will perform pushing a car of this weight which that much power/TQ.

GM has been stellar with the performance of their vehicles, have more options too.

I was surprised myself. Since every manufacturer is going TT or at least T. But Ford stuck with previous GT500 offing and just made it better. For sure the TT would probably be lighter, but TT have their own set of problems.
They will probably wait and see how the corvette does with a TT setup in the z06/zr1. I too expected Ford to strike first and put in a TT.
They did back in 2010 for the Cobra Jet. Cobra Jet was their pilot program for what was to be in the GT500.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Nah, you're working backwards if you have a 4100lb car that already has carbon bits and is still a boat.
ZL1 is 2-300 lbs heavier than a SS. GT500 is 4-500lbs heavier than the GT. The ZL1 has room to lose weight specifically with lighter wheels and a carbon DS. You will be spending more to drop weight on a heavier car, regardless of ZL1/GT500 price. The GT500 may do 1-2 fast laps, but we have yet to see how it will perform lap after lap, im not talking about engine or blower heatsoak/overheating.
The SCCA guy already mentioned it, heavy car slowing down repeatedly is going to wear on tires and brakes. We'll see though, because the heaviest car that is track capable is a ZL1 1LE, 39xxlbs (auto), 38xxlbs (manual). Im curious how that DCT will perform pushing a car of this weight which that much power/TQ.

GM has been stellar with the performance of their vehicles, have more options too.
Everything Ford has stated points to this car not giving in to heat soak. There are multiple articles and interviews on this very subject. They have designed the fuel system to suck every last drop of fuel out of the tank without dropping power for petes sake. The brakes are enormous and have 20% more swept area and 30% more thermal mass.

Really, it's as if some of you are ignoring all of the information already released and drawing different conclusions because you want the car to fail.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Everything Ford has stated points to this car not giving in to heat soak. There are multiple articles and interviews on this very subject. They have designed the fuel system to suck every last drop of fuel out of the tank without dropping power for petes sake. The brakes are enormous and have 20% more swept area and 30% more thermal mass.

Really, it's as if some of you are ignoring all of the information already released and drawing different conclusions because you want the car to fail.
This is an older picture I found of what brakes do when they are used too much and too hard during track racing. Wow, something to see. This was a real race and I think it was a Ferrari or some Italian car.

BrakesHot.JPG

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
you listed the 350 and the 1LE, the logical assumption is the SS1LE
350 weight is 3641
350hp is 526
350 track time is 1:36.11
350 1/4 et/mph is? 12.1@119

1le weight is 3834
1le hp is? 650
1le track time is? 1:34.30
1le 1/4 et/mph is? 11.7 @126

Im assuming the zl1 1le best times are with an auto, yes?

If thats the case, the 500 is going to QUITE the performer most expect it to be. handles better than 350, shifts faster, more hp, higher rpm than GM.. its a winning combination, even with a 300lb addition

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

You must be new to this. Every manufacturer will make a claim, and can end up falling short. Ford is not new to this, they claimed the s550 was lighter compared to s197 (yea, sure adding IRS).
Nice stats on the brakes, did Ford do that to account for the +300lb gain from the GT350 which also has massive brakes?

350 weight is 3641
350hp is 526
350 track time is 1:36.11
350 1/4 et/mph is? 12.1@119

1le weight is 3834
1le hp is? 650
1le track time is? 1:34.30
1le 1/4 et/mph is? 11.7 @126

Im assuming the zl1 1le best times are with an auto, yes?
If thats the case, the 500 is going to QUITE the performer most expect it to be. handles better than 350, shifts faster, more hp, higher rpm than GM.. its a winning combination, even with a 300lb addition
The ZLE 1LE times were done before they added an a10. Its fucking fast and punches above its weight.
We are expecting the Gt500 to do the same, even if its 4100+ lbs.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

They will probably wait and see how the corvette does with a TT setup in the z06/zr1. I too expected Ford to strike first and put in a TT.
They did back in 2010 for the Cobra Jet. Cobra Jet was their pilot program for what was to be in the GT500.
Its not on a linear scale though. A 3000lbs car has to slow down from 120-80 through a sweeper, but the same sweeper, a 4200lb car could be much faster and carry much more speed. Make sense?

slow down yes, but if the car can carry more speed because of every other component, then its not the same. This is what competition does. It sets the bar higher and higher to achieve better performance.

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
There is a lot of concern on weight. It is dominating the Shelby and Mustang forums for sure. But I still say lets have a wait and see approach. I think people are segregated into different groups for this car.

1. Track rats that want every bit of performance available.
2. 1/4 drivers who live their lives a 1/4 at a time.
3. The street guy who will own the roll and dig scene.
4. The enthusiast that wants a killer on tracks and caddy on the street.
5. People who just like cars.
6. People who hate anything new not designed the way they wanted it to be.

I see all of these people here. In the end I do believe this car will disappoint maybe 1~5. Yes the car is heavier than some thought. I am one who believe it would be heavier do to the new DCT and S/C alone. People seem to forget just how much fluids can weigh. But any rate, there are cars that perform quite well. The GT-R comes to mind. A ZLE is not exactly a lightweight with the A10 in it..So lets just see how well it does. I seriously doubt that Ford would put a under-performer out in the wild for as long as it took this car to show.

If the car flops, then it flops. But this I do not think will happen. So now that it is all out there...we just need to see the reviews come in. So in the words of mortal combat...

IT HAS BEGUN !!!!!
You could always remove the hood, the trunk lid, throw out the passenger seat and radio. Lord Iam feeling ornery today. LOL.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
You could always remove the hood, the trunk lid, throw out the passenger seat and radio. Lord Iam feeling ornery today. LOL.
Or just for fun, be like a Jeep and remove the doors.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
Horrible example, veyron uses besoke tires, is mid engine and awd.
Not when people are only focusing on the weight.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford's like "it goes 0-100-0 in 10.6 seconds". Sorry couldn't resist.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Everything comes for a price. Would you pay $20k to shed another 200lbs...if the car already is able to beat (handily) it's competition?

Again, why are you disappointed in potential when it quite possible will destroy the competition?

I'm just not getting it. How can anyone be disappointed in a car that (possibly) beats every performance metric of it competitors?

Are you disappointed that the C8 corvette is heavier than the C7?

If the GT500 weighed 8000 lbs and ran a 10 second flat 1/4 mile with track times destroying the 1LE, would you still be disappointed?

How do you not see your argument is lame? You are arguing about a specification, not about performance. It's like arguing that you wish the wheelbase was shorter rather than concerning about how it performs.
No, it's not the same. Additional weight literally makes the car slower (or a worse performer) compared to a lighter car, all else being equal. A slightly longer or shorter wheelbase does not directly translate to a slower car. The extra weight is more about leaving some performance on the table. I'm not disappointed in the car, you're adding words to mine; I said I'm disappointed in the weight. The fact they couldn't keep the weight gain in line with their competitors' N/A to S/C brethren is unfortunate. I'm sure it will be fast, Billy Johnson himself said they tested it to make sure it will be faster than its competitors. But it could have been faster.

If it weighed 8000 lbs and ran that quick, I would certainly think "what might have been" if it was half that weight.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
Kinda not fair, it has over 1100hp
Just like it is kind of not fair to bash on the GT500 only for its weight. There are many people on this thread who at no point ever were interested in buying one saying things like..."The GT500 is too heavy or is a porker or etc so I will nevey buy one" The problem is that no one is saying too heavy for what? What is the expectation? 0-60 mid 3s not good enough??? 1/4 mile times in the 10s not good enough??? 0-100-0 in 10.6 seconds not good enough???? Will it beat the ZL1 track time yes or no? Will it beat a hellcat on the dragstrip yes or no? Is it the Venom beats Demon statement? Who is to say by what terms. It would definately beat the demon on the track but not likely on the strip. Just saying the car is to heavy so I wouldn't buy one is like refusing to go to a movie when you only saw 10 seconds of the preview. I just don't understand it and that is why I think it is just bashing. It is very similar to when people found out about the torque numbers on the GT350 and the old Shelby's had solid rear axles and both cars performed well on the strip and on the track. No one has yet mentioned a car that can do what the 2020 Shelby 2020 can do for $90k or less.
Sponsored