Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
Ford's like "it goes 0-100-0 in 10.6 seconds". Sorry couldn't resist.

Exactly! Proves my point perfectly. I bet that rig weighs more than 4,000lbs and it still did what the designers wanted it to do. Many if they were told the weight wouldn't believe it could have stopped like that.
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Just like it is kind of not fair to bash on the GT500 only for its weight. There are many people on this thread who at no point ever were interested in buying one saying things like..."The GT500 is too heavy or is a porker or etc so I will nevey buy one" The problem is that no one is saying too heavy for what? What is the expectation? 0-60 mid 3s not good enough??? 1/4 mile times in the 10s not good enough??? 0-100-0 in 10.6 seconds not good enough???? Will it beat the ZL1 track time yes or no? Will it beat a hellcat on the dragstrip yes or no? Is it the Venom beats Demon statement? Who is to say by what terms. It would definately beat the demon on the track but not likely on the strip. Just saying the car is to heavy so I wouldn't buy one is like refusing to go to a movie when you only saw 10 seconds of the preview. I just don't understand it and that is why I think it is just bashing. It is very similar to when people found out about the torque numbers on the GT350 and the old Shelby's had solid rear axles and both cars performed well on the strip and on the track. No one has yet mentioned a car that can do what the 2020 Shelby 2020 can do for $90k or less.
It certainly is one metric that can be overcome. No need to bash

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.

Exactly! Proves my point perfectly. I bet that rig weighs more than 4,000lbs and it still did what the designers wanted it to do. Many if they were told the weight wouldn't believe it could have stopped like that.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
Why was your order denied. Just curious?
They only received two cars, and didn't receive a Golden ticket. I would only order the car as a CFTP car.

Best Regards,
Dave

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
No Dave,
I

No Dave,
I am not bragging about just straight line numbers. There is more more factors than just weight when you consider consistent lap times. As I have said before the Bugatti Veryon is over 4,000 lbs. but can hold 1.4g in latteral acceleration so it can out corner many cars much lower in weight. You are right that tires will wear out under more weight but you have to pay to play when it comes to racing on the track. The GT 500 has more coolers, cooling surfaces and the largest heat extractor ever on a Mustang. It is highly likely that it will cool as advertised even by independant tests. Still not even one other car that can do 0-100-0 at the same price point? No one knows the latteral acceleration numbers yet but fat ladies can dance just as the Veryon does at over 4,000lbs.
While you're trying to compare a million dollar car with 1000+ hp to a $90k mustang, please reply with all of the bugatti lap records, I can't seem to find any... Except for those listing top speed and acceleration?

Best Regards,
Dave

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You must be new to this. Every manufacturer will make a claim, and can end up falling short. Ford is not new to this, they claimed the s550 was lighter compared to s197 (yea, sure adding IRS).
Nice stats on the brakes, did Ford do that to account for the +300lb gain from the GT350 which also has massive brakes?

The ZLE 1LE times were done before they added an a10. Its fucking fast and punches above its weight.
We are expecting the Gt500 to do the same, even if its 4100+ lbs.
Ford hasn’t historically quoted many performance specs. With that said, when they say their car is faster than the previous generation, it has been. The 2018 mustang with the a10 was much faster than anyone expected. Hell, Camaro fanboys are still in denial.

Its not on a linear scale though. A 3000lbs car has to slow down from 120-80 through a sweeper, but the same sweeper, a 4200lb car could be much faster and carry much more speed. Make sense?

slow down yes, but if the car can carry more speed because of every other component, then its not the same. This is what competition does. It sets the bar higher and higher to achieve better performance.
Exactly!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No, it's not the same. Additional weight literally makes the car slower (or a worse performer) compared to a lighter car, all else being equal. A slightly longer or shorter wheelbase does not directly translate to a slower car. The extra weight is more about leaving some performance on the table. I'm not disappointed in the car, you're adding words to mine; I said I'm disappointed in the weight. The fact they couldn't keep the weight gain in line with their competitors' N/A to S/C brethren is unfortunate. I'm sure it will be fast, Billy Johnson himself said they tested it to make sure it will be faster than its competitors. But it could have been faster.

If it weighed 8000 lbs and ran that quick, I would certainly think "what might have been" if it was half that weight.
Except, all else being equal doesn’t apply here! The gt500 has a different suspension, wider front end bigger brakes and a ton more power.

And again, they don’t need to keep the weight gain inline with the competitors. People aren’t buying these cars due to their weight. They are buying them for their performance. Nothing else matters in this argument. Not weight. Not tires. Not track width. Not potential.

Are you disappointed that the C8 Vette is heavier than the C7?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
For those that haven't already seen the video, I've linked it at a timestamp appropriate for this thread. Pay attention to what they are saying the GT500 feels like around the track.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)

While you're trying to compare a million dollar car with 1000+ hp to a $90k mustang, please reply with all of the bugatti lap records, I can't seem to find any... Except for those listing top speed and acceleration?

Best Regards,
Dave
At least now we are making comparisons based on more than just the weight alone. It fits what I am trying to say. The weight of the car is not the only factor. You are right it is a $90K mustang so why are people being so critical of it. Is it Ok for the Bugatti to be over 4,000lbs because it costs more and it has 1000hp? What is the metric you are expecting the GT500 to lose because of the weight? 0-60 time, lat acceleration capability, overal track time (which track?), 1/4 mile time etc....? If the track has long straights the power makes up for it....If the car can hold the weight based on the lat acceleration capability it will still perform well. Basically what is the point of your complaint on the weight. Just to say because it is heavy has no basis. Anyway I have solved about a 100lbs of my problem because I was just able to upgrade to a "Golden Ticket" car. :)

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)

Best Regards,
Dave
At least now we are making comparisons based on more than just the weight alone. It fits what I am trying to say. The weight of the car is not the only factor. You are right it is a $90K mustang so why are people being so critical of it. Is it Ok for the Bugatti to be over 4,000lbs because it costs more and it has 1000hp? What is the metric you are expecting the GT500 to lose because of the weight? 0-60 time, lat acceleration capability, overal track time (which track?), 1/4 mile time etc....? If the track has long straights the power makes up for it....If the car can hold the weight based on the lat acceleration capability it will still perform well. Basically what is the point of your complaint on the weight. Just to say because it is heavy has no basis. Anyway I have solved about a 100lbs of my problem because I was just able to upgrade to a "Golden Ticket" car. :)

Sponsored

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)

Best Regards,
Dave

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
This is ignorance, plain and simple.
1000% ignorance. The GT500 is already into the supercar realm with it's 0-100-0 with it's 4200+lbs
Supercar acceleration, supercar braking, and I'm betting supercar handling with all the upgrades.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Ford hasn’t historically quoted many performance specs. With that said, when they say their car is faster than the previous generation, it has been. The 2018 mustang with the a10 was much faster than anyone expected. Hell, Camaro fanboys are still in denial.

Exactly!
Not this Camaro guy. SS Camaro is 0-60 4.1 and GT is 3.99. What is not to deny?

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Its not on a linear scale though. A 3000lbs car has to slow down from 120-80 through a sweeper, but the same sweeper, a 4200lb car could be much faster and carry much more speed. Make sense?
No this does not make any sense. If this was true a lemans car being heavier would lap a road course faster than an F1 car.
Lol, with your analogy a hellcat charger (4500lb car) should be "much faster and carry much more speed." Make sense?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Not this Camaro guy. SS Camaro is 0-60 4.1 and GT is 3.99. What is not to deny?
What don’t you look up published 1/4 mile times chief.
Sponsored