Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Right. I'm starting with the CFTP. I'm assuming the same kind of weight savings from GT350 to GT350R, about 120#. So that should put the CFTP at 4100#. Maybe it will wind up being lighter. After doing all the math of removing/replacing seats, battery, fluids, tire inflator, subwoofer, and then adding a cage, I come in at just under 4K. 3990#
I didn't see any heavy resonators so maybe no weight savings there but I was behind 2 the other day, cruising around town. You won't be needing a stereo
IMG_1869-16-08-19-10-40.jpeg
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Once again I'm not arguing quarter mile times, but claiming the GT is quicker than the SS is a stretch. Same day same track they would be as even as 2 cars could be
The latest GT has proven time and again to be faster than the SS. Several magazines have tested the GT to sub 12 second 1/4 miles. None have tested the camaro as such. This really isn't a debate anymore, but rather fact.

We are talking GT500 and ZL1. Ford has no more powerful motor to just drop in the Mustang...Chevy has the ZR1 motor and it will swap right in the Camaro....all they require is the desire to do so.
The GT350 also uses a 5.2L engine. This would be trivial to put in future mustangs with some slight changes. Neither manufacturer will be doing mid year changes on vehicles, so let's not pretend that GM is suddenly going to drop it in. Both would require planning, so the ease in which these engines would be put into vehicles would be relatively the same.

Another option...

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Because it isn't going to be a full on race car. I will enjoy it with all the stuff and when it comes time to go to the track, just remove the offending creature comforts. Not a big deal.

Edited to add:
There are some things I am not willing to do that could potentially reduce the 3990# significantly (like remove glass windshields). I'm happy to have it below 4,000#
So you are dropping $3k for BLIS, Cobra Puddles and Nav? Doesn't seem like worth it to me. Did you know you could use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for Nav?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I didn't see any heavy resonators so maybe no weight savings there but I was behind 2 the other day, cruising around town. You won't be needing a stereo
IMG_1869-16-08-19-10-40.jpeg
Right. Until someone actually weighs one, or until Ford releases the CFTP weight, my weight reduction is just an estimate based upon very educated estimations. So, just interesting stuff to be addressed later.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So you are dropping $3k for BLIS, Cobra Puddles and Nav? Doesn't seem like worth it to me. Did you know you could use Apple Play or Android Auto for Nav?
Why wouldn't I if I already dropped 10K for painted on stripes, LOL.

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
but when I see a 225lb girl approach the mat for an Olympic floor routine, I'm skeptical that shes going to bring home gold.

I'd love to be wrong.
This analogy is pretty funny so I wanted to give you props on that.

I have had many mustangs, somewhere around 15-17 and this will be be my first Shelby. I can say for me it used to be the “poor” status. As I progressed in life, it was a little less poor status and more “I like to modify and tweak the car to what I like” that kept me away from the S197 GT500. During my 2015 and 2017 builds, being older and being better off financially, I was able to make some really great machines. My last car was 816 RWHP which has been by favorite car for that and every other reason. Like most of us Mustang enthusiasts I have known about the forthcoming GT500 for quite some time and have been preparing to take the leap into the next stage of the car. I do not think this puts me in a VIP status at all, just means I’m mostly nosing around the sections of this forum that have my current interest.

I can honesty understand people’s want for a lighter car, really I can but to be negative towards the car, without released testing results at the very least, is pretty ignorant. Yes weight usually plays a big factor in the equation but let’s just see what the results are before we bitch, no? Getting to 816 RWHP on my 2017 added quite a bit of weight and despite my best efforts, heat soak was always around the corner. The only way to build a supercharged car, make it respectable at the track and drag strip as advertised is to properly cool. As we all have read, they have properly cooled this car and the collateral damage is weight. No way around it, cooling systems will add weight. I think people were expecting Ford to reinvent the wheel on this car and go fully aluminum, carbon fiber and the like.

I am completely blown away with what they have done and I am super excited to be owning one. Will I track it or 1/4 mile it? Most likely not. I will however NEVER have my ice cream melt in my grocery getter again.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
After reading all the posts I still don't care about the weight. Yes it weighs 400lbs more than a Mustang GT. If you modify said Mustang GT to match the performance of a GT 500 including a full tank run without losing horsepower without stripping items from it how much will it weigh? So far the 0-100-0 number beats the ZL1, Hellcat and Demon. The DCT is going to make times better for the GT500 over cars at similar weight (ZL1/Dodge Demon). People who are buying this car know what they are getting. It is a Mustang so we knew it was going to be heavy. Ford has built a car that will be good on the track. I am paying just above 90K for a fully loaded with every option available 4,225lb GT500. What other 2020 model new car can I buy for $90K or less that will go 0-100-0 mph in 10.6 seconds or less, have 760hp or more that has a cooling system good enough for me to burn a whole tank without losing any horsepower and give me all the porky goodies like factory premium sound with subwoofers, nav system, power everything, bliss cross traffic for $90k or less?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
After reading all the posts I still don't care about the weight. Yes it weighs 400lbs more than a Mustang GT. If you modify said Mustang GT to match the performance of a GT 500 including a full tank run without losing horsepower without stripping items from it how much will it weigh? So far the 0-100-0 number beats the ZL1, Hellcat and Demon. The DCT is going to make times better for the GT500 over cars at similar weight (ZL1/Dodge Demon). People who are buying this car know what they are getting. It is a Mustang so we knew it was going to be heavy. Ford has built a car that will be good on the track. I am paying just above 90K for a fully loaded with every option available 4,225lb GT500. What other 2020 model new car can I buy for $90K or less that will go 0-100-0 mph in 10.6 seconds or less, have 760hp or more that has a cooling system good enough for me to burn a whole tank without losing any horsepower and give me all the porky goodies like factory premium sound with subwoofers, nav system, power everything, bliss cross traffic for $90k or less?
Key in bold.

My pullied and tuned S197 GT500 would give one, maybe two, good long pulls on a hot day before it was heat soaked and power dropped off; it was bad in stock trim as well. It was high on the list of things that I didn't like about the car. Addressable through the aftermarket of course (to a point not near this new GT500), but....

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Once again I'm not arguing quarter mile times, but claiming the GT is quicker than the SS is a stretch. Same day same track they would be as even as 2 cars could be
We are talking GT500 and ZL1. Ford has no more powerful motor to just drop in the Mustang...Chevy has the ZR1 motor and it will swap right in the Camaro....all they require is the desire to do so.

wait, im trying to understand this logic. Answer thse questions for me so we can have a beneficial dialogue

350 weight is?
350hp is?
350 track time is?
350 1/4 et/mph is?

1le weight is?
1le hp is?
1le track time is?
1le 1/4 et/mph is?

So you are dropping $3k for BLIS, Cobra Puddles and Nav? Doesn't seem like worth it to me. Did you know you could use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for Nav?
yes, im doing the same.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I'm a software engineer in So Cal and $150k isn't a realistic salary for any level of developer with "mid" in the their title. You have to be a senior level developer to make 6 figures, even in California. I've been doing it for 18 years and make the figures that are being thrown around, but I work an average of 12 hours a day, so I guess it's not really that much, when you think about it. Now, that being said, you CAN make that kind of money in the bay area, but I personally wouldn't live there for 3x as much money.
My keyword was in addition to bonuses and RSUs in a company with its stock price going up. I'm in the Phoenix metro area, which has a medium cost of living. I typically see mid/mid-junior level developers, security, and IT operations (not helpdesk) in tech-oriented companies start with around $100K in base salary. Glassdoor search seems to be in line with my observations. If you look at Amazon, aside from higher base pay, also has a higher stock bonus pay due to its explosive growth in stock price. Granted, not many companies provide RSUs but $100K base salary's still pretty good for the Phoenix metro area for someone with only 4-6 years of experience. I'd consider mid and mid-senior to be in the 7-9 and 10-14 years of experience category and I often see them hit $150K or higher if they at least meet their target bonus performance and the stock didn't tank.

phx_intel_developer_mid.PNG
phx_paypal_developer_mid.PNG
phx_amazon_developer_mid.PNG

100% agree on the Bay Area move. A guy making $100K in Phoenix will need to more than double his salary to maintain a similar lifestyle in San Francisco.

phx-sfo_cost_of_living.PNG

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Let’s try to get this thread back on track:

I feel Ford missed an opportunity with the rubber. Why not use this car as another proud champion for the new Cup2R tires?

Was it mentioned if the GT500 Cup2 were bespoke, or carry over 350R compounds?

I also feel a square setup would have benefitted the additional mass on the nose. A 315 up front would have been helpful.

To deal with some extra radial load tire pressure might be increased. If we don’t do this, the lateral loads may be compromised because of rubber deformation on contact
Patch and at the wheel barrel. We can somewhat mitigate this by having extra heavy sidewalls, such as runflat configuration tires, but they’re much heavier in general and rotational mass goes up.

A larger diameter, and width tire can compensate for the additional inflation pressure to control radial loads and deformation of a heavy front car. Why did ford remain 305 width, AND - why not really make a point and bring the amazing new Cup2R tires to the fight? I have my speculations and it includes early development work with the regular Cup2 tires was “good enough”.

Thoughts?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
My keyword was in addition to bonuses and RSUs in a company with its stock price going up. I'm in the Phoenix metro area, which has a medium cost of living. I typically see mid/mid-junior level developers, security, and IT operations (not helpdesk) in tech-oriented companies start with around $100K in base salary. Glassdoor search seems to be in line with my observations. If you look at Amazon, aside from higher base pay, also has a higher stock bonus pay due to its explosive growth in stock price. Granted, not many companies provide RSUs but $100K base salary's still pretty good for the Phoenix metro area for someone with only 4-6 years of experience. I'd consider mid and mid-senior to be in the 7-9 and 10-14 years of experience category and I often see them hit $150K or higher if they at least meet their target bonus performance and the stock didn't tank.

phx_intel_developer_mid.PNG
phx_paypal_developer_mid.PNG
phx_amazon_developer_mid.PNG

100% agree on the Bay Area move. A guy making $100K in Phoenix will need to more than double his salary to maintain a similar lifestyle in San Francisco.

phx-sfo_cost_of_living.PNG
I could not live in San Fran. Too much Rice-O-Roni and not enough Texas BBQ

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
The weight is a disappointment, plain and simple.
Sponsored