Things to know before buying my EcoBoost Mustang

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Zelek, I'm 47 years old and telling a kid to buy a GT is not practical. Yes I have had a lot of big V 8's over my life time including the car when i was 17 was a 1971 Mach 1 with a 429 Cobra Jet. I currently have a 18 Ecoboost and its faster than a lot of V8's now and when I'm finished with it, it will be even faster.. Upgrading the internals next with a larger Turbo and many more mods to go. Not sure how old you are but don't be a dick and tell a 17 year old kid to get too much power so he can go kill himself.
I had a Firebird Formula with an LT-1 when I was 17 and I'm still here. Not every 17 year old is an idiot that drives one. It's not bad advice and you can learn a lot from a V8 like respecting the amount of power you do have and what it can do. Also a great time to learn a stick if that hasn't been done either.

If anything, I wouldn't be looking at a new one at age 17. Definitely a used GT like a 15-16 would be great. Good introductory level to cars and V8 engines.

The biggest regret I had was choosing between the 97' Formula and a 1990 Lexus LS400. If I could go back in time, I would have fixed the A/C on the Lexus and drove that thing to 500k. Nothing like having heated seats, sunroof, 10 disc CD changer, and probably the most comfortable ride I've ever been in.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A Mustang is high maintenance????

And here I thought a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Bugatti was expensive to maintain... LOL!

——-

If you can afford the car, the insurance and the upkeep of it (EXCLUDING MODS), go for it and do it. You only live once. Hell, if you wreck it, chalk it up as lesson learned - we’re all human and humans f-up during their life time, plain and simple.

Shop around - use www.cargurus.com to shop - it’s one of the best sites to compare pricing (new and used) nationwide. What you think is a deal locally to yourself, there could be another better deal found - so SHOP IT.

If you’re looking for the EB w/ Performance Pack - there is the EB Base w/ PP and then there’s the EB Premium w/PP. So for price comparison sakes, definitely make sure your comparing the SAME model with the same option packages - because prices do vary greatly between the models and all of the available option packages.

You’ll get a good deal on a used 2018 if that’s the body style you’re after.

If you’re looking at one at a Ford Dealership - tell the Salesperson you want them to run and give you the OASIS report. This report will show all warranty and repair activity on the vehicle IF it were serviced at any US Ford Dealership. It will also reveal if the car was a Lemon Buy Back (if the Dealership is not being 100% honest with the sale of the vehicle).

Don’t fully trust CarFax, AutoCheck, etc etc, because if the car had any prior accident history it will ONLY be present on those reports IF it were a reported event by the Police OR a reported claim from an Insurance Company. Not all events or claims hit those “CarFax-like” reports - so don’t always rely on them for 100% accuracy.

If you’re looking at ANY used car or truck and don’t know what to look for as far as possible damage or maintenance concerns - definitely bring an adult or someone more versed in autos than yourself - you don’t want to be scammed out of your hard earned $$$ or buy a vehicle that all of the sudden needs a major repair that was hidden or band-aided just to make a sale.

Ask about warranties when buying used from any Dealership or car resaler. Make sure the warranty will cover major components that are costly to repair. Don’t fall for the warranty offers where it only covers certain components for 90 days or 1 year. Make sure it covers things like engine, trans, rear diff or A/C components - those are the most expensive big ticket repair items on any S550.

If you find something you like - don’t lay all your cards on the table and DON’T let your emotions take over as a “i must have it”... if the deal is not working in your favor - WALK. Don’t tell the Salesperson what you can or have to spend - don’t fall into the “what monthly payment do you want” - because the Dealership folks can work any payment to make it appealing but pad it with BS such as a high interest rate etc... if you found a car at another Dealer that is comparable but for less $$$$ and you want the car you’re currently working a deal on - tell them you’ll go to the other dealer as you can get x-deal - sometimes they will meet or beat the competitor price.

A Mustang, for any young inexperienced driver (no offense) is NOT a good vehicle for any winter use IF there is snow or ice. Also the ass end of a Mustang will get loose - even if you didn’t mean to get it loose, it can - and this is where most folks get twisted and end up against a guard rail, wall, off road or worse into another vehicle. Play it safe, get to know the car and it’s functions. If you have a place nearby where you can take up road course or driving events - DO IT. An onboard Instructor will teach you the limits of the vehicle and also how to get out of a bad situation should it present itself. It’s the best thing ANYONE can do with a performance oriented vehicle.

Be safe, play it smart and shop around. There’s a boatload of deals on 2018’s now and there will be even more once you’re ready to buy.

Read up on the forums here - there’s tons of advice of what to do (and what not to do). This is the best venue for the S550 and for learning about the S550.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
CONGRATS on your upcoming car! Go to KBB.com and get an idea of what the car may retail for and what a good deal might be. Then check out sites like cargurus.com. If you decide to get a used car, have a professional inspector look it over unless it is from a reputable dealer. A lot of cars were caught in floods then rebuilt on the sly so it doesn't show up in a Carfax report. Flood cars will never be as good as they were, they total them for a reason. Main thing is GET WHAT YOU WANT. Enjoy!

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
^^^ this @Cobra Jet's post. I'm not sure where you are from but here at Koons Ford in Northern VA, and MD, prices are always 7 to 9 k off msrp. Maybe worth a trip down. Hope you get your car and enjoy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
Woah, thank you guys! - Mix of responses here, I 75% Convincing me it’s the wrong decision and convincing me to take another route, and the rest giving some amazing input, which is what I asked for.

If I’m asking for advice before buying my mustang, I’ve looked at it from all angles. I’ve made a choice.

Truth is, the 75% aren’t wrong. It is a “risky” and looking from an angle an “irresponsible” decision, for a list of reasons.

1) Most young drivers wreck their cars in the first year.
2) Insurance will be too high, price is high
3) Car us too powerful for a first car
And more some of you above.

Though, excuse me to believe I’m capable of doing this.

I’ve been driving for a year straight with my dad’s car (2014 Volts. Passat). Haven’t gotten in any accidents, nor any tickets. I work 3 Jobs, support myself, and wouldn’t put myself in the category with other “teenagers around the world” at all.

I’m not a “fresh-out-the-box” driver, and by my sentence “i’m not getting the car to be a racer, just an enjoyable daily driver”, i think it’s obvious I’m not planning to be reckless with it.

Insurance being high, and the car itself are inevitable.. I’m 17, and a car with such “performance” on a “newer driver” will simply be high. But...i’m ready for that. I’m prepared to spend my money on the insurance and the monthly payments, hence the 10k downpayment to lower me as much as possible. With 2.4k a month, roughly $600 or a bit more per month to have the car wouldn’t be a big dent? - I’m prepared to pay 1k if i need to and still have lots left over monthly. - The lease option is interesting, I’ll definitely look into it!

Yes, I will get a Co-Sign. - My dad worked in Mercedes dealership as a dealer/salesman for 20+ years, so he’ll definitely make sure I get all the reports, and am getting a good deal!

As far as the other advice about spending my money for something else... Okay, if I don’t get the car I want, I get something else, and just have the rest of the 10k just sitting in my bank account...and then every month more money gets piled up. “Get something else rather then a car, get what you want”. - I find that contradictory...I want a Mustang, haha. - That’s what I want to spend My money on. I’m set on it, and I believe though not a lot of people do it..it’s not impossible to do it in a right, responsible way? - I’m also already pre-scheduled to take performance driving safety technique courses as soon as I get the car. I went near the performance driving schools around me and talked to them, I already pre-paid for whenever I get the car to take those courses and learn more about my car, and how to be safer overall.

Thoughts, guys?

Thank you yet-again for all of the input!

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
$2.4K per month? Get a low mileage 1 year old GT... car payment and insurance should put you under a Grand per month. The rumble of a stock GT is likely more rewarding than a pimped out EB.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
Woah, thank you guys! - Mix of responses here, I 75% Convincing me it’s the wrong decision and convincing me to take another route, and the rest giving some amazing input, which is what I asked for.

If I’m asking for advice before buying my mustang, I’ve looked at it from all angles. I’ve made a choice.

Truth is, the 75% aren’t wrong. It is a “risky” and looking from an angle an “irresponsible” decision, for a list of reasons.

I’ve been driving for a year straight with my dad’s car (2014 Volts. Passat). Haven’t gotten in any accidents, nor any tickets. I work 3 Jobs, support myself, and wouldn’t put myself in the category with other “teenagers around the world” at all.

I’m not a “fresh-out-the-box” driver, and by my sentence “i’m not getting the car to be a racer, just an enjoyable daily driver”, i think it’s obvious I’m not planning to be reckless with it.

Insurance being high, and the car itself are inevitable.. I’m 17, and a car with such “performance” on a “newer driver” will simply be high. But...i’m ready for that. I’m prepared to spend my money on the insurance and the monthly payments, hence the 10k downpayment to lower me as much as possible. With 2.4k a month, roughly $600 or a bit more per month to have the car wouldn’t be a big dent? - I’m prepared to pay 1k if i need to and still have lots left over monthly. - The lease option is interesting, I’ll definitely look into it!

Yes, I will get a Co-Sign. - My dad worked in Mercedes dealership as a dealer/salesman for 20+ years, so he’ll definitely make sure I get all the reports, and am getting a good deal!

As far as the other advice about spending my money for something else... Okay, if I don’t get the car I want, I get something else, and just have the rest of the 10k just sitting in my bank account...and then every month more money gets piled up. “Get something else rather then a car, get what you want”. - I find that contradictory...I want a Mustang, haha. - That’s what I want to spend My money on. I’m set on it, and I believe though not a lot of people do it..it’s not impossible to do it in a right, responsible way? - I’m also already pre-scheduled to take performance driving safety technique courses as soon as I get the car. I went near the performance driving schools around me and talked to them, I already pre-paid for whenever I get the car to take those courses and learn more about my car, and how to be safer overall.

Thoughts, guys?

If you get the ecoboost and its not a PP1 you need to upgrade your brake fluid to Motul RBF 660 (actually just do it anyway). otherwise your brake fluid is going to boil over and turn to garbage. no pedal feel and stopping will get harder and harder and worse and worse. also if its raining and your wheel is turned dont you dare give it more than 30% throttle or you'll be in a wall. other than that and what I've already said go nuts.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I don't know I think this is kind of refreshing in an era where young people no longer want cars & just want to take an Uber. We need more young folks to get into cars or these wonderful beasts will cease to be before long.... And that will affect the rest of us too.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I don't know I think this is kind of refreshing in an era where young people no longer want cars & just want to take an Uber. We need more young folks to get into cars or these wonderful beasts will cease to be before long.... And that will affect the rest of us too.
Have to agree.

It's unusual among kids today to have drive for anything, much less a car.

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack

Thoughts, guys?

I have been a car guy all the way for as long as I can remember. I got my first car when I was 15, I worked mowing grass and shoveling snow for 2 years to save the $450.00 to buy a 1969 AMC AMX. My dad said I was foolish. I have had the car bug BAD ever since then. I am now 52 and have owned 106 cars and various motorcycles. I think I only lost money on 100 of them. I would not change a thing, cars are one physical thing that simply makes me happy. I work very hard, I now make good coin and I enjoy my toys. Make sure you start saving sooner rather than later for retirement, but there is no point to wait until then to start living the dream! I will never be rich, but I am fine with that. My Grandpa used to say he spent all his money on fast cars and women, and he wasted the rest.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ask yourself is an high maintenance car like the Mustang is worth it if........
It's not a high maintenance car. EBs need no more maintenance than a Camry or Accord. Change the oil, brakes and tires when needed. Add in the occasional filter, wipers, etc. Just standard transportation appliance maintenance.

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
Yes, very true. The OP also sounds mature for his age and working hard to get what he wants. Im a firm believer on working hard and for something you like, otherwise its just working to survive. Some folks just need to save their advice for their own kids or better yet apply it to themselves.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I gotta hand it to you @GoranRC, at your age coming on here and asking for advice from people who've already been down the road several miles and years is a wise move and good sign of responsibility. Your folks did a good job raising you. Most kids your age know everything (they know nothing), are lazy (you aren't), and have their heads so far up their *ss they can watch their food digest in their stomach. Take all of the info on here and weigh it out. No matter what age you are, never be afraid to ask for advice.

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
$2.4K per month? Get a low mileage 1 year old GT... car payment and insurance should put you under a Grand per month. The rumble of a stock GT is likely more rewarding than a pimped out EB.
As I said, I want a daily driver..A GT doesn’t have the digital dash, the comfortabilities and accessories that I’m interested in. It has a powerful engine. Something that I stated I’m not interested in (bot getting it to be an incredible racer). Plus...it’s a daily driver, and that V8 drinks gas like a motherf**ker.

Thank you, though.
Sponsored