Sponsored

Lightweight wheels?

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Well in my personal experience, I have found you should be very critical of your wheels and tires on a road course. I had lighter aftermarket wheels on my ride last october when I had a tire go down. My ride has been under the knife all winter. I am not holding back on the purse strings this time around. I am going all in on wheels and tires. Not for time or speed, but for my personal safety. To be fair my car sees more track time than commute time.
So your tire blew but because of the wheel failure or the tire blew and the wheel was destroyed?
Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I had the tire analyzed. The cause of the tire going down was determined to be a bead failure. The engineer said it either got too hot or the wheel deformed. I am adding brake ducts and forged wheels Fromm ccw

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well in my personal experience, I have found you should be very critical of your wheels and tires on a road course. I had lighter aftermarket wheels on my ride last october when I had a tire go down. My ride has been under the knife all winter. I am not holding back on the purse strings this time around. I am going all in on wheels and tires. Not for time or speed, but for my personal safety. To be fair my car sees more track time than commute time.
Any thought of going back to the factory wheels? AFAIK they are reliable. And inexpensive.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Yea I wish I would not have sold them, I had to borrow a wheel to roll my car around on when I got home. I agree though the stock wheels would hold up well. I am going 18x11 square this time around.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Yea I wish I would not have sold them, I had to borrow a wheel to roll my car around on when I got home. I agree though the stock wheels would hold up well. I am going 18x11 square this time around.
I'd not mind going 18 as well... Sort of closer to the look of a classic mustang with puffier tires. Let me know what you'll fin in terms of whees that'd also clear pp brakes.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'd not mind going 18 as well... Sort of closer to the look of a classic mustang with puffier tires. Let me know what you'll fin in terms of whees that'd also clear pp brakes.
Apex EC-7 wheels are some of the few 18" wheels that will clear the PP Brembos. And they're flow formed so you shouldn't have any damaging issues on track

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I am going with Paul from PK Wheels. He has been doing wheels for the S550 from the beginning. I have purchased some CCW Corsair TS12s, cut for the GT PP. I am gonna couple those with Contenintal race slicks similar to what Kohr's uses.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Apex EC-7 wheels are some of the few 18" wheels that will clear the PP Brembos.
I just bought a set of Team Dynamics pro race 1.3 in 18x10 size and those also clear the 6 piston Brembos quite nicely. Very lightweight too.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I just bought a set of Team Dynamics pro race 1.3 in 18x10 size and those also clear the 6 piston Brembos quite nicely. Very lightweight too.
what is their weight in size you bought?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Seems like every time I post on this area of the forum I'm saying the same thing, but in my opinion it bears repeating. I'd rather spend my money on a handful of track days than buy an extra set of wheels.

If you are a couple seconds faster per lap, you don't win anything. And your driving will probably improve more if you drive more versus buying parts for your car.

Sure buy wheels if you want them, but IMO the reason to buy wheels is you want wheels - not that the car will be slightly faster.

So don't buy parts to make you car faster?

Heritic!

Sponsored
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I am seriously considering SVE R357 in 19/10, 19/11 staggered. Weight/cost ratio is very good.

Will stick with staggered tires as well, most likely stock tire dimensions.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. I'm going to autocross once a year and never planned on going to track.

I replaced catback, so this dropped some weight, but then I added rear spare, which added some weight. I guess I'd just like my car drop some weight. That has nothing to do with achieving better autox results.

Just wanted to find out what wheels are good to loose weight and be not very expensive.

Also plan on doing battery relocation.
I don't intend to sound rude so apologies if this comes off that way, but why do you care about losing weight if you only autocross once a year and don't go to track days?

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I don't intend to sound rude so apologies if this comes off that way, but why do you care about losing weight if you only autocross once a year and don't go to track days?
If you take things too seriously, - nothing makes sense. We all just die eventually.

One part of it is just getting new toys for the car and myself. Toys have to have some purpose. So I am playing in a "game" of changing weight distribution. Other people play appearance games or some other games. Like why put vinyl stripes on the car if you're not member of sports team where stripes were for distinctive team look?

Part of it - once I lost traction while driving and until I regained control the car felt like it had too much weight on the front.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
It might belong to wheels and tires section, but people here are very weight conscious and I'm looking for weight reduction specifically.

I'm having 2015-1017 PP wheels that are pretty heavy. I also preffer silver/gun metal to black paint, but this is less important than weight.

What is the best bang for the buck in terms of lightweight wheels out there?
check at Tire Rack for OZ RACING Leggera HLT Wheels. a little over 21 lbs. Corsa Grey. they are spec'd to Ford Performance wheels as per off-sets, etc.
a solid track wheel unless you plan to run a lot of "race" events...then it's worth checking out forged wheels. durability!

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
check at Tire Rack for OZ RACING Leggera HLT Wheels. a little over 21 lbs. Corsa Grey. they are spec'd to Ford Performance wheels as per off-sets, etc.
a solid track wheel unless you plan to run a lot of "race" events...then it's worth checking out forged wheels. durability!
Thanks, I saw those. For price/weight ratio I'm still considering r357. Lmr just added gloss graphite option so they feel to me like optimal color between black and silver.

I do not know what to choose from wheel size point of view.

I tend to think 9/10 and 275/40/19 squared could be a good combo for dd and occasional autox.

Being able to rotate tires is also very handy not just from tire wear/life point of view, but from maintaining consistent grip for the car.

Like, right now I'm on oem pirellis 255/275, fronts have plenty of thread, rears are closer to ther life limit. I feel like rear has less grip despite wider tire and keeps going down. You literally hav different rubber front vs rear at some point. So, the downside of staggered is that as you put miles on your car, your grip distribution front/rear changes. Sometimes you may realize it in a somehow unpleasant situation.

If I had squered 275 I could rotate wheels and maintain similar wear on all 4 corners.
Sponsored