Sponsored

Ford ECU update that reduces piston slap?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My new motor doesn't piston slap (audibly) since Shaun tuned it...
How was it before he tuned it? Also, did he use SCT's tool set to do his calibration? I think you said it was delivered on an X4...
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Can we confirm a few things?
  • What year GT350 shipped with it
  • An official change log
Also could we update a 2015-2018 car with the 2019 ABS, EPAS, AdvanceTrac and Magnaride calibrations?
I can't confirm anything, unfortunately. The Ford software checks the module, checks the Ford service database and says "there's an update available - do you want to update?" If you want it, you say yes and it installs it. That's it. No release notes, no change log, no nothing. Just a bunch of DTC's that arise during the update that you have to clear.

As for updating other modules, the system scans and identifies all the modules in the car and makes sure they're the correct ones, but when I went to the update menu, it didn't show ABS or EPAS on the list. VDM (Magnaride) wasn't on the update list either, but then mine is sitting on a shelf because I've got a DSC installed.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
While an anecdote, and anecdote from the guy who's had one of these engines apart and put back together carries a lot of weight.
With all respect, @honeybadger ’s build is apples to oranges in comparison.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Instead of arguing about the theory of it. If Ford truly had a table for the Gen 1 Coyote calibration to reduce piston slap or the audible noise of it. That's a pretty clear indication that it's possible that a tune can reduce or reduce the noise of piston slap.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Slap, shmap. Let's get over this .

RE: software update, can someone call their dealer and ask if they will look for an update and apply if under warranty? I am willing to bet they won't unless you report a problem and they apply the update as part of the fix.
I will call my dealer tomorrow and let you guys know...

Cheers

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How was it before he tuned it? Also, did he use SCT's tool set to do his calibration? I think you said it was delivered on an X4...
I can't give too much info since I'm not sure TBH. But Shaun had sent me a "startup" tune to get the engine fired and doing the initial first pull on the Dyno. That tune had piston slap. New ones are much quieter.

And yep. SCTLink is what I saw them using. Tunes loaded through my X4.

With all respect, @honeybadger ’s build is apples to oranges in comparison.
I was just pointing out that the new engine had slap before tuning and now it doesn't. At least not to the same degree. Was merely pointing out that in my case, tuning helped.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm the guy that posted it. Every time I drive the car, I'm surprised by how different it is with that update. I know that piston slap is mechanical, and that it makes no sense, but somehow Ford managed to change something that affects when it happens, and in the 2-3k rev range at light throttle, it's much less invasive. I used to think that I'd eventually have to either trade in the car or do some engine work - it was that annoying. Now it's still there once in a while, but at 30mph in third on a level road, that constant clatter is gone.

But, piston slap aside, the biggest difference is in the way the car drives with the new calibration. Idle is smooth, power delivery and low end torque is completely different - it's punchier and much sharper. It actually drives like a 5.2 liter V8 now.

The last time I checked for ECU updates was 2018, so it was released as an upgrade after that. I found out about it from a Service Bulletin about iced-up muffler valves, so I went into IDS module update and there it was. I assume this is the production calibration that went into new cars starting some time after mine was built, so some people with newer cars will already have it and they'll be wondering what I'm talking about.

Can you post up the Ford SSM or the TSB number, because those would help others and that doc would have such info.

This SSM I have included was put out early on regarding the GT350 piston concerns:
1B36ACA3-5DDC-4468-8A74-B5BE0483298E.jpeg

There was a Ford doc I had posted in the Issue/TSB sub-forum on here regarding the F150 5.0 Coyote, where such a Ford software update was needed to quell some of the engine noise concerns, but THAT doc did not pertain to the S550 at all, not the GT or the GT350.

So I’m really curious which doc you had and what software update you performed - again it would be appreciated if you listed that info.

EDIT:
Is it THIS TSB (18-2290) you’re referring to? It is the only one specific to the GT350 and referencing the frozen exhaust actuators:

Attachments

Last edited:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
My GT350 had a little at warmup, but nothing like my M3. The M3 sounded like the engine was coming apart. The engine management lowered redline from 8300 to 6000rpm until it warmed up.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Is it THIS TSB (18-2290) you’re referring to? It is the only one specific to the GT350 and referencing the frozen exhaust actuators:
Bingo! That's the one! That casual line buried in the middle was the reason I checked for an ECU update. Looks like that update has been in production since July 2017.

Cpove

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 2017 F150
so what can I do at ford to try and get them to update my PCM for me? I'd be curious to see if this actually works as I have noticeable piston slap in my car. My car is a 2016.... Reading the TSB steps it says they check the DTC codes for a specific code before they update the PCM