Sponsored

Ford ECU update that reduces piston slap?

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
There's a user on another forum that updated the ECU software their 2016 using a recent Ford OEM update and VCM II ODB tool. They claim:
  • reduction in piston slap
  • smoother running engine
  • more torque at low RPS
  • related: the drive mode can be changed even if the exhaust valves are stuck due to cold temps
Has anyone here recently had their GT350 serviced and received an ECU update?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Piston slap is from the slow expansion rate of forged aluminum, short side skirt and ring land location. Also piston / rod / stroke ratio.
Yes, but exacerbated when the engine is not in compression or vacuum, which is why slap occurs when puttering around town at 3K-4K.

As an ECU tune changes the pressure differential in the combustion chamber it's plausible that Ford has indeed updated the ECU with reduced slap as a result.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm the guy that posted it. Every time I drive the car, I'm surprised by how different it is with that update. I know that piston slap is mechanical, and that it makes no sense, but somehow Ford managed to change something that affects when it happens, and in the 2-3k rev range at light throttle, it's much less invasive. I used to think that I'd eventually have to either trade in the car or do some engine work - it was that annoying. Now it's still there once in a while, but at 30mph in third on a level road, that constant clatter is gone.

But, piston slap aside, the biggest difference is in the way the car drives with the new calibration. Idle is smooth, power delivery and low end torque is completely different - it's punchier and much sharper. It actually drives like a 5.2 liter V8 now.

The last time I checked for ECU updates was 2018, so it was released as an upgrade after that. I found out about it from a Service Bulletin about iced-up muffler valves, so I went into IDS module update and there it was. I assume this is the production calibration that went into new cars starting some time after mine was built, so some people with newer cars will already have it and they'll be wondering what I'm talking about.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
A tune is NOT going to help piston slap. Placebo effect.

I don’t know why people worry about piston slap anyhow.
Hey Scooter, doesn't a tune fix it when you get bitch slapped?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You’re telling me that a tune will change combustion pressure and help eliminate piston slap?
Lmao.
There's a on-off switch and a piston slap table in the 2011 Coyote calibration, but there isn't one in the 2016 Voodoo calibration. I have a license for both, but haven't invested in an SCT update so I can't look inside my new factory calibration. From the way it behaves, I wouldn't be surprised if the new cal has a piston slap calibration table.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
So this PCM update is shipping with 2019 GT350s? So all 2015-2018s should be heading into their local dealers to receive it?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So this PCM update is shipping with 2019 GT350s? So all 2015-2018s should be heading into their local dealers to receive it?
I have no idea what it might ship with from the factory. I was speculating that it was based on production software that Ford's shipping on current vehicles because that would make sense. But that may not be correct. All I know is that my 2016 GT350 Track Pack was original up until I installed this update.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I have no idea what it might ship with from the factory. I was speculating that it was based on production software that Ford's shipping on current vehicles because that would make sense. But that may not be correct. All I know is that my 2016 GT350 Track Pack was original up until I installed this update.
So when did you install this update?

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I know I don't have piston slap or bbq tick/typewriter tick. I do know that my my neighbor brought home a 19 Bullitt last week. I saw when it had 53 miles on it and it slapped and ticked noticeably. I couldn't bring myself to ask him about it because he was all in his glory at the moment. The slap and tick did subside after the engine ran a bit. I also noticed that the digital RPM gage had a witness line at 6500. Like maybe it got revved to there at one point.

Last edited:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hmmm I'll have to ask about the update. I hope it doesn't have any stealth nerfs.

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Let's assume for a moment the update works. How do we get and install the update for earlier GT350s?

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Can we confirm a few things?
  • What year GT350 shipped with it
  • An official change log
Also could we update a 2015-2018 car with the 2019 ABS, EPAS, AdvanceTrac and Magnaride calibrations?