Cooled seats not cooling

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
I thought I would see what info ForScan had on the seat coolers. I selected the temperature of the thermo-electric device (TED) for the left and right side seat bases, and left and right side seat backs, and turned the coolers on.

The seat base temperatures dropped by a couple of degrees, whereas the seat back temperatures did not change. I'm sure I used to be able to feel some minimal cooling from the seat backs, but this is confirming my suspicion that something has gone wrong with my seat back coolers.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I thought I would see what info ForScan had on the seat coolers. I selected the temperature of the thermo-electric device (TED) for the left and right side seat bases, and left and right side seat backs, and turned the coolers on.

The seat base temperatures dropped by a couple of degrees, whereas the seat back temperatures did not change. I'm sure I used to be able to feel some minimal cooling from the seat backs, but this is confirming my suspicion that something has gone wrong with my seat back coolers.
Most guys reported that the seat backs would cool for 15~20 min after initial activation, and then over heat the TED and stop cooling. So if they dont cool initially at all, then something probably isn't right.

As this whole thread concluded, Ford didn't design the TED heat management very well on the seat backs. The seat bottoms work well though.

Deleted member 35786

does anyone have a TED / seat AC unit (working or not) that they would either lend me for a couple of weeks, or sell me for cheap?

i have an idea i think i could implement that would be very cost friendly that could potentially make the device work much more effectively!

Please PM me! Thanks!
Get a set of Coverking Spacer Mesh seat covers and you will hardly need to use your cooled seats. Even in the summer here in FL I hardly use them with these covers. They are fantastic..
seats.JPG

Yes I know the side airbag flap is not tucked in. Forgot that prior to taking picture.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Has anyone looked into swapping in the coolers from the 18+? I just got my 19 a couple of months ago so they haven't been put to the test of summer heat, but now they have fans in the seat back blowing out the hot air. They're blowing so much air they're pretty loud and it's annoying.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I got my 2015 to a point of working ok in the seat backs...it was a combination of things...
The TSB-revised hardware
The "DARKO MOD" which adds 3 intake tubes that you point out the front of the seat for air intake.
Lastly, Modifying the seat to allow heat to exhaust(the biggest impact). My modification was a few things-1-there is a thin plastic insert with perforations to allow air to flow out the back of the seat, I removed it and drilled the entire surface to be perforated Swiss cheese look. 2-I noticed that heat was trying to flow out down to the level of the map pocket on the seat pocket, so I added a spacer in the map pocket to force it to always be open an inch to allow airflow...this really helped.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of heat exhaust, this causes the unit to be overcome after a few minutes of operation. after running the cooler for 10 minutes, reach around and slide your hand into the map pocket so see where I think the problem is...

Sponsored

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
Hello to all! i am working on a solution to this exact problem described in RIBS post. The hot air cannot escape from behind the seat, obviously because hot air rises, and the geniuses at for did not bother to put some vent holes into the rear seat backs. So I am working on a prototype that should actually resolve the problem.

behold the TED pipe! This is a custom designed chamber that easily fits over the top of the TED and is held in place using a zip tie. A length of hose will be attached (similar to the DARKO hose setup) and the hose will feed to the bottom of the seat back. From there, a small fan will be attached that will SUCK the hot air out of the TED unit, making it much much more efficient.

I still need to obtain some decent tubing, source a proper sized fan (not too big or loud) and design a fan to hose adapter. Once that is all done, I will have to figure out a simple way to get power to the new exhaust fan.

I will keep everyone updated with results, and if its a success, I will be selling these as kits for a very reasonable price!
IMG_20190321_142344.jpg
IMG_20190321_142401.jpg
IMG_20190321_142438.jpg
IMG_20190321_142508.jpg
IMG_20190321_142521.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hope you are successful. I'll buy one or pair.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Just got a Bullitt in November so I haven't been able to really test Ford's new cooling system, but you can actually hear air blowing out of the back of the seat. I wonder if Ford has done something similar.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just got a Bullitt in November so I haven't been able to really test Ford's new cooling system, but you can actually hear air blowing out of the back of the seat. I wonder if Ford has done something similar.
Could be Ford finally got the design right. Please check it out some more and let us know if there is obvious air escaping from the seat back when the coolers are turned on. Is the seat vented somehow?

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Well I got Darko66 solution here a while back and put it in the driver side. It helped, but not as much as I would have liked. This past Sunday I got in the car and turned on the seat and heard air rushing.Going to be pulling it apart this weekend to see whats up. If these work better I would love to get a set! Question though, there is 2 versions, before and after TSB. Which one is this going to be for?

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
this one will be for either, and if you have the darko mod, itll be like having the tsb installed like the later mustangs. i am working on another revision of the part, to include the bend in the pipe already so i can source some cheaper tubing options.
Screenshot (69).png