Sponsored

2019 GT - MT82 weird sound question.

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
Had my new GT with Manual Trans for 3 days now. 160 miles so far. Been about 15 years since driving a manual so getting the muscle memory and technique back. However, i’ve noticed that when accelerating, say moderate to heavy acceleration, shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, if I get ahead of myself and start to get on the gas before having the clutch pedal fully released there is this sound and vibration that is like a fast ratchet that stops once i’m completely off the clutch. It almost like the car giving feedback saying “Hey! Don’t do that”. It’s not grinding gears, the gear shift is fully in gear. Also does NOT happen when starting off in first from a stop. Anyone else experience this or know if it is a problem (other than my relearning curve)?
Update: researched this more. Several post and YouTube videos with 2018 Manual Mustangs making this sound when shifting at 4K+ RPM. Didn’t see any 2019 posts. So, still interested to see if any 2019 owners are experiencing this. Others describe as a “buzz” sound. To me it sounds like one of those hand buzzer prank gadgets. Or paper tearing. Sound last just a fraction of a second. Pretty annoying. Not sure if I should take to the dealer or not.
Sponsored

Last edited:

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
My '18 does it...'19 has all the same stuff so no need to isolate '19s in your search..

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. Received the info. That’s the noise! I see that several others have experienced this to various degrees. I’m thinking for every one person on this forum, there are probably at least 20 others having the same problem. Some report that the problem goes away or is less noticeable over time. With 160 miles on the car, I find this super annoying. Although, if I had kept it under 4K rpm and shifted sooner, like the break-in recommendation state, I wouldn’t have discovered the issue until much later. Are you aware of any resolution/fix? Not sure if I should report it to my dealer now or perhaps wait until maybe 2K or so and see what happens??

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had 7300 miles on my car and the noise did not go away or become less noticeable. I am not aware of a fix. Some people have reported that the noise was there even with a new clutch. Other had the noise go away after the drive-train was put together following an engine replacement under warranty. I think there are ~20-30 people on this forum who have reported having this noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had 7300 miles on my car and the noise did not go away or become less noticeable. I am not aware of a fix. Some people have reported that the noise was there even with a new clutch. Other had the noise go away after the drive-train was put together following an engine replacement under warranty. I think there are ~20-30 people on this forum who have reported having this noise.
Are you going to get another Mustang? GT350 likely would be a more solid car quality wise.....maybe.....
Another thought for me...if I was willing to forego the warranty and all the dealer BS and just take it to an independent shop and have them investigate and fix. Might cost a little money, but I really like this car and want it to operate correctly without any grinding noises. For that matter I guess I could swap it out for a Tremec like the ones in the GT350. Lots of options.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not getting another Mustang. The 2018-2019 GTs are a huge gamble with all the engine issues. Flirted with the idea of getting a GT350 but changed my mind after a couple of test drives. Plus, one of the most popular threads in the GT350 forum is the "blown engine" thread lol. The GT350 has it's own set of issues which people have been dealing with.

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny thing is, I was about to order a new Porsche 911 for around $130K when I test drove the Mustang and read about the fantastic performance. Owned a 2007 - 911 and loved it except for the harsh ride. I’m a muscle car guy at heart so, ordered the new Mustang with Magneride and all the goodies and kept $80K difference in my bank account. I guess you get what you pay for. I wonder if Corvette has any of these issues. ?? That was another option I considered. Drove a manual vette and the ride was harder and much less storage space.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You definitely get what you pay for. I don't expect the same build quality as an $80-$100k car and have no problem dealing with things like panel gaps, thin paint, dash rattles even the various drive-train chatters and thuds which have been around for a while now, but this clutch grinding noise was a bit much and when you add the motor needing to be replaced, it was enough for me to look in a different direction. Hopefully Ford can sort all these issues out because the car is a blast to drive otherwise.

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
The drivetrains in these cars are garbage. Mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks now because they can't get their hands on the parts.

So to state the obvious: They can't get their hands on parts because so many of these are blowing up.

Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I didn't have any issues with my 2015 GT, but yeah, two dealers tried to replace my 2018's clutch and flywheel two separate times and both times the clutch was on back-order for weeks. I can overlook a lot of the other cosmetic and build deficiencies as long as the power-train and drive-train are solid. Chevy and Mopar seem to have an advantage in that regard at the moment.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
The drivetrains in these cars are garbage. Mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks now because they can't get their hands on the parts.

So to state the obvious: They can't get their hands on parts because so many of these are blowing up.
Stop blowing things out of proportion? Garbabe? lol they have one of the best drivetrains u can buy on the market. Stop whining and sell it if u dont like it.. all i hear is ppl whining bitching and complaining. cant stand how ppl exaggerate things out of context.

:crying::crying::crying::crying:

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Agreed. My Coyote is 6.5 years old and my MT82 is in great condition. In fact it shifts really damn good and the clutch, plastic clutch line, two piece driveshaft, and stock shifter are holding it back. These mods will be coming soon after I'm paid off soon.

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had my new GT with Manual Trans for 3 days now. 160 miles so far. Been about 15 years since driving a manual so getting the muscle memory and technique back. However, i’ve noticed that when accelerating, say moderate to heavy acceleration, shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, if I get ahead of myself and start to get on the gas before having the clutch pedal fully released there is this sound and vibration that is like a fast ratchet that stops once i’m completely off the clutch. It almost like the car giving feedback saying “Hey! Don’t do that”. It’s not grinding gears, the gear shift is fully in gear. Also does NOT happen when starting off in first from a stop. Anyone else experience this or know if it is a problem (other than my relearning curve)?
Update: researched this more. Several post and YouTube videos with 2018 Manual Mustangs making this sound when shifting at 4K+ RPM. Didn’t see any 2019 posts. So, still interested to see if any 2019 owners are experiencing this. Others describe as a “buzz” sound. To me it sounds like one of those hand buzzer prank gadgets. Or paper tearing. Sound last just a fraction of a second. Pretty annoying. Not sure if I should take to the dealer or not.
Update: noise has stopped. Note: Rev matching works on both up shifts and down shifts. So when up shifting, I let up on the gas completely, then apply the gas after the shift is done and clutch completely let out. This results in the smoothest shifts.

Willd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Update: noise has stopped. Note: Rev matching works on both up shifts and down shifts. So when up shifting, I let up on the gas completely, then apply the gas after the shift is done and clutch completely let out. This results in the smoothest shifts.
I have exactly the same experience on my 2019 Mustang GT (800 miles on the clock now). Lifting off the gas fully prior to the shift up then a slight pause before applying gas again prevents the (annoying) grind/buzz noise happening for me (5000 rpm in my case). I am still experimenting with shift technique though!
Sponsored