Sponsored

Tick Repair That Worked

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think mvfjet's motor had similar damage. He had the rattle and the tick.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
will be interesting to see with miles if it returns

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
will be interesting to see with miles if it returns
That was my thoughts. It seems they replace half these engines, then it comes back after a few hundred or thousand miles. That's why i'm not going to worry about it anymore. Even the rattle, I think is actually a VCT solenoid issue, but apparently doesn't seem to affect reliability that much. Mine has no tick after Ceratec, but still has the rattle. Oh well.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s good they found the issue and repaired - but here’s a simple question, and by no means is the question to scare anyone:

If the cam was scored, is there the probability that metal particles already made it throughout the engine into other areas?

——
There have been a few threads now that have cam scoring issues, but still no definitive engineering info as to how or why that is happening, correct?

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It’s good they found the issue and repaired - but here’s a simple question, and by no means is the question to scare anyone:

If the cam was scored, is there the probability that metal particles already made it throughout the engine into other areas?

——
There have been a few threads now that have cam scoring issues, but still no definitive engineering info as to how or why that is happening, correct?
Well, if the cams did shed a few shavings, the "hope" would be that they flushed down the oil passages back to the oil pan, and not into the intake. Once in the pan, they "should" eventually end up in the filter. Even then, I wouldn't be too happy about it going through the oil pump.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think is actually a VCT solenoid issue, but apparently doesn't seem to affect reliability that much. Mine has no tick after Ceratec, but still has the rattle. Oh well.
I have mine in for both tick and rattle. Update yesterday stated they found rattle issue and are replacing exhaust solenoid for variable valve timing. Needs to be ordered, so after it’s installed, I’ll go in and ask that they leave it cold for when I arrive to see if I can re-create either.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had a very similar issue: scoring on journals and caps on the exhaust side camshaft. Pretty bad, too. Maybe it's the metal particles from the journals being grinded down that fall into the combustion chamber and cause the cylinder wall scoring. Anyways, new engine of mine still rattles when cold and has an intermittent bbq tick. Didn't fix squat on those ends.

I do think it's rather curious that we're seeing more and more people with damage to the top end.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Correct. Granted that I don't think anyone has even been giving the cam damage a second thought due to the fixation on the rattle and bbq tick. If these keep cropping up, however, then looking for consistency in the damage could help narrow it down.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My original engine had damage to both the cam and main caps.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I had a very similar issue: scoring on journals and caps on the exhaust side camshaft. Pretty bad, too. Maybe it's the metal particles from the journals being grinded down that fall into the combustion chamber and cause the cylinder wall scoring. Anyways, new engine of mine still rattles when cold and has an intermittent bbq tick. Didn't fix squat on those ends.
No way for the particles to get inside the combustion chamber. The particles from ground up cam bearings just remain in the oil and do more damage until the they get filtered out by the oil filter or fall down to the bottom of the oil pan.

However, It could be possible for particles to get between the piston skirt and cylinder from the bottom side of the piston since there is a layer of lubrication going on there.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If cam bearings are getting damaged that bad, there must be either a clearance problem (too tight) and/or a line bore of the journals in the head issue. Or could be some engines had contamination left over during the manufacturing process that that damaged the bearings in short order. Other car manufacturers have had the left over debris during manufacturing problems, which caused engine damage in short order.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My original engine had damage to both the cam and main caps.
Was it just one cam or multiple?

If cam bearings are getting damaged that bad, there must be either a clearance problem (too tight) and/or a line bore of the journals in the head issue. Or could be some engines had contamination left over during the manufacturing process that that damaged the bearings in short order. Other car manufacturers have had the left over debris during manufacturing problems, which caused engine damage in short order.
If it was contamination, which I'm not quick to rule out, wouldn't that mean multiple cams would be damaged? I haven't been keeping track, but my damage was only on one exhaust side camshaft.

Curiously enough, the 2018/2019 do use different camshafts. I haven't been able to find more information but I have read that the exhaust side also uses a new timing strategy.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
If metal particles get loose in an engine they end up in the oil pan and sucked into the oil pick up tube and sometimes get embedded into the main or rod bearings. Common thing.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Yep.. The folks at Car And Driver had that with a Vette they were testing. Motor blew up due to sand left in it from the casting process.
Sponsored