Sponsored

Your Degree vs Your Career

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Got a BBA on the G.I. Bill after getting out of the Army then spent 35 years flying airplanes.

Now I have a Wealth Management firm with clients in 18 states.

It’s a wonderful life.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Majored in mechanical engineering, but never quite finished my degree. Did my 20 in the USAF, 14 working hands-on aircraft maintenance, and 6 as a flight engineer, all on the C-130. The ME courses weren't required for my career, but they did give me a good background for understanding the principles behind a lot of my tasks.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Business / Drafting and Design.

Help people set up their suspension's on their 1979 - Current Ford Mustangs.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Majored in mechanical engineering, but never quite finished my degree. Did my 20 in the USAF, 14 working hands-on aircraft maintenance, and 6 as a flight engineer, all on the C-130. The ME courses weren't required for my career, but they did give me a good background for understanding the principles behind a lot of my tasks.
Hahaha! I started my "big" airline career riding side-saddle on the 727. Also plumbed on the DC-10. Very, very fond memories of the FE seat on both of those airplanes!

In my Army career, I stepped out of (into space) a great number of 130s. Fond memories of those years, too.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
BA Economics/Management and 75% through my MBA (attending). Currently, VP- Analytics Manager for a large bank. History in financial systems development and management consulting. Yeah, I'd say they are related.

A huge thank you to service members in this thread! I applied to Academies but they wouldn't let me fly for health history reasons. Then tried to fly Heli's as NCO but again rejected for same reason. Just bad timing, today they would not DQ me for same issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
No degree at all - worked up through sales and account management over the years and now at 37 manage a team of account development managers for a tech company. Had I finished my degree i may have been able to get here 5 years ago or even earlier.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
No degree at all - worked up through sales and account management over the years and now at 37 manage a team of account development managers for a tech company. Had I finished my degree i may have been able to get here 5 years ago or even earlier.
No degree here either. Spent too kich time partying dirst year in college amd had to bail. Ended up at a small civil engineering firm as a draftsman and now oversee the survey group. Licensed in two states amd licensed uav (drone) pilot.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Many many people are successful without a degree; happens every day. But, (and this is a big but) depends on the industry. Comparing apples to apples, that piece of paper just puts you several steps ahead of the next guy. Come promotion time, again, an advantage against the next guy.

I’m in aviation and have three degrees in my industry. I currently work for an agency where I most likely, and by all accounts would have gotten this very same job based on previous work experience alone...but at close to half the income. I have guys with equal or more experience and past success sitting beside me doing the same job for pennies on the dollar.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Many many people are successful without a degree; happens every day. But, (and this is a big but) depends on the industry. Comparing apples to apples, that piece of paper just puts you several steps ahead of the next guy. Come promotion time, again, an advantage against the next guy.

I’m in aviation and have three degrees in my industry. I currently work for an agency where I most likely, and by all accounts would have gotten this very same job based on previous work experience alone...but at close to half the income. I have guys with equal or more experience and past success sitting beside me doing the same job for pennies on the dollar.
Totally agree. Even in my position I would have saved years if I had a BS in business or maybe more with an MBA.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I totally agree as well. That piece of paper opens so many doors amd opens them much sooner. Wish I would pulled my head outta my ass and studied.
Sponsored