Sponsored

Your Degree vs Your Career

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This is related to the “what’s your career” thread, but with a twist.

Did you end up in a career related to your college degree?

I earned a Bachelors in Business Management and I am currently an Operations Manager for a large hospitality company.

On the other hand..

My brother earned an automotive tech degree, tried that as a career and lost his passion and he’s now an engineer and a tech facility. Big win for him.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I did a BBA in International Business and MBA with concentration on Finance...I work in County government, not doing finance either but MBA helps with most areas to be honest, just somewhat wasted but it definitely did give me a leg up on competitors for my current position.

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
Criminal Justice Degree. Currently work as a LEO. Not sure how much longer I'm gonna deal with the BS though. World is a crazy place.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did a BBA in International Business and MBA with concentration on Finance...I work in County government, not doing finance either but MBA helps with most areas to be honest, just somewhat wasted but it definitely did give me a leg up on competitors for my current position.
I wish I would’ve majored in finance or accounting. Doing what I’m doing the specific area of the degree isn’t as important as having a BA or better just to show you accomplished 4+ years of higher education.

I remember when I thought college assignments were hard. Lol. Everyday running a business is F’ing hard. But while my classmates were getting wasted I was writing our team project.. so yeah. Proud of myself.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
No degree. Career military.

But my wife has her ba in bussines adminstration with an emphasis on accounting and her mba in business administration with an international business focus.

Shes a controller and financial reporting manager for the Marysville office of what used to be called Zodiac Aerospace but is now part of the Safron Group.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Criminal Justice Degree. Currently work as a LEO. Not sure how much longer I'm gonna deal with the BS though. World is a crazy place.
It really is. I have a few buddies back home that are or were in the LEO world. It’s insane to the point you don’t look at people as people anymore from what they’ve said. Which is sad, but when you’re the frontline to the world of crime I guess that’s what comes with it.

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350

But my wife has her ba in bussines adminstration with an emphasis on accounting and her mba in business administration with an international business focus.

Shes a controller and finance analyst for the Marysville office of what used to be called Zodiac Aerospace but is now part of the Safron Group.
Thank you for your service sir!

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Shes a controller and finance analyst for the Marysville office of what used to be called Zodiac Aerospace but is now part of the Safron Group.
Sounds like she’s got an awesome job. Thank you for your service. My cousin was in the Marines and it truly turned his life around. Sometimes I wish I would’ve gone that route for the experience.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Sounds like she’s got an awesome job. Thank you for your service. My cousin was in the Marines and it truly turned his life around. Sometimes I wish I would’ve gone that route for the experience.
Shes worked hard and done well for herself. Shes young and has nothing but room to go up too.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Shes worked hard and done well for herself. Shes young and has nothing but room to go up too.
That’s what it’s all about man. What’s scary is seeing people in their mid/late 20’s and beyond settling for minimum wage or just above jobs and they don’t have a desire to grow but feel entitled as hell for promotions or money to be given to them.

Sponsored

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
It really is. I have a few buddies back home that are or were in the LEO world. It’s insane to the point you don’t look at people as people anymore from what they’ve said. Which is sad, but when you’re the frontline to the world of crime I guess that’s what comes with it.
The ever going drug problem makes it very difficult. Everything else as far as crime pretty much trickles down from that or has some relation. I may be picking up an SRO job sometime in the near future, we will see, lol. But in reality I love serving my community. It's not always about putting someone in jail just cause you can. I truly enjoy helping people.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The ever going drug problem makes it very difficult. Everything else as far as crime pretty much trickles down from that or has some relation. I may be picking up an SRO job sometime in the near future, we will see, lol. But in reality I love serving my community. It's not always about putting someone in jail just cause you can. I truly enjoy helping people.
You’re in it for the right reasons. That’s great.

The area I am in is absolutely a shit show. I can imagine it’s difficult being an LEO down here (Broward Co FL) with the mass amount of substance abuse, people from other countries/legal systems and people that just don’t care.

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
You’re in it for the right reasons. That’s great.

The area I am in is absolutely a shit show. I can imagine it’s difficult being an LEO down here (Broward Co FL) with the mass amount of substance abuse, people from other countries/legal systems and people that just don’t care.
Yea, you do live in a shit hole area, no offense. We have been through some training with the Broward Co guys and surrounding counties when the Flakka/Molly epidemic hit down that way a few years ago.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yea, you do live in a shit hole area, no offense. We have been through some training with the Broward Co guys and surrounding counties when the Flakka/Molly epidemic hit down that way a few years ago.
LOL trust me no offense taken. I’ve had to pick my jaw up off the ground a few times when I was getting “used to” life down here in my first year. Now between people tweaking out and horrific drivers, I pretty much feel like I could go anywhere and not experience culture shock like here.

Here and Miami Dade are definitely the butthole of the state.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I got my degree in Architecture and got my first job in the tech field as a mechanical designer in the nuclear industry and from there a Mechanical Engineer Hughes Aircraft co. and now I am a Division Manager for a defense contractor. Never once used my degree. Just hard work and luck, (or maybe divine intervention)
Sponsored