Most Reliabloe Boost?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Any well known kit will be reliable when installed right and boost is kept low. High boost and hp/tq is what breaks things.

As far as maintenance, most top mounts have a long service interval around 100k miles where self contained centris need oil changed more frequently around 5-6k miles.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Has anyone heard of any 2018 failing an engine or trans below 900 rwhp? I only know of one engine and 2 trans failures and both were over 1k rwhp.

My initial thought was whipple due to the additional protections in the ecm, and if you’re super conservative put a bigger pulley than supplies (will 4” fit?). I’m thinking it would still make over 650 rwhp and might even run on 89 octane....

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Has anyone heard of any 2018 failing an engine or trans below 900 rwhp? I only know of one engine and 2 trans failures and both were over 1k rwhp.

My initial thought was whipple due to the additional protections in the ecm, and if you’re super conservative put a bigger pulley than supplies (will 4” fit?). I’m thinking it would still make over 650 rwhp and might even run on 89 octane....
There have been plenty of engine/trans failures on the 18s, even on bone stock vehicles.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
hard to go wrong with any name brand. to me its question of budget. always a risk of breakage when beating on the car. pick boost in budget and spend the money on a solid tune and listen to your tuner

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'd say most of the well known kits are reliable. Reliability can be measured on how the car is driven. If you're constantly bouncing off the rev limiter, I would say yours won't be reliable for a very long period no matter which one you pick. You can make a Whipple, Vortech, Paxton, Edelbrock, VMP all reliable. Comes down to if its installed properly and if you don't drive like a jackass every second you're in your car and follow the guidelines of warm-up during cold temps and be mindful when it's 100 degrees outside and take it easy on it.

Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I'd say most of the well known kits are reliable. Reliability can be measured on how the car is driven. If you're constantly bouncing off the rev limiter, I would say yours won't be reliable for a very long period no matter which one you pick. You can make a Whipple, Vortech, Paxton, Edelbrock, VMP all reliable. Comes down to if its installed properly and if you don't drive like a jackass every second you're in your car and follow the guidelines of warm-up during cold temps and be mindful when it's 100 degrees outside and take it easy on it.
That pretty much sums it up. All well known kits that are installed properly are reliable.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There have been plenty of engine/trans failures on the 18s, even on bone stock vehicles.
If an engine or trans has a factory defect it will fail whether boosted or not. My statement was meant to apply to the OP’s question, not address factory defective vehicles since that is beyond our control.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If an engine or trans has a factory defect it will fail whether boosted or not. My statement was meant to apply to the OP’s question, not address factory defective vehicles since that is beyond our control.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Having experienced engine failure at 1,000 miles with a Magnuson which was tuned poorly, I would say number one is a safe tune regardless of the blower. I had a Roush TVS on my '11 for 25K miles and hundreds of passes at the dragstrip, one day in 98 degree weather and it was totally flawless in how the car ran and made some good gas mileage, too. Had a Vortech on my '09 Bullitt and loved it as well, put lots of miles on it. But, I remember in the info from Vortech when I installed it, the manufacturer said not to use the blower under 30 degrees F. I specifically remember being a bit stressed on cold days, but no issues. I never drove it in the winter, but if you do, this might be a consideration. It was the Vortech HO with it's own oil oil containment system. Very nice product as was the Roush. The centri will allow you to use the strut brace, though.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If your concerned about reliability then Whipple or Roush is the way to go with the included canned tune. Reliable and quite powerful set ups.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
you cant go wrong with any kit on these cars, they are all fund and work well. really comes down to driving style
Sponsored