Sponsored

Redline oil vs Motorcraft

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Redline has a very high HTHS viscosity, 5.0.

Per the ASTM D4741Standard test:
"Viscosity measured under the conditions of this test method is considered to be representative of that at the temperatures and shear rates but not the pressures in the journal bearings of internal combustion engines under operating conditions"

In essence HTHS indicates level of protection to bearings.

Motorcraft HTHS is unpublished (afaik). Based on its other data, I'm confident that it is lower than redline. Amsoil HTHS is also considerably lower than Redline, at 4.45. With Redline at 5.0, it is most resistant to shear/breakdown under extreme conditions (8250 rpm maybe?). All meet Ford spec. I'm comfortable using redline

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So your source is a Canadian Amsoil Dealer? That’s too funny.
I’ve never had a dealer issue on any warranty concern. If you take care of the vehicle, they cover it.
You can do whatever you want. Google the spec and info is all over the place. I'm not forcing you to do anything. But choosing the correct oil seems to be a pretty menial task vs getting pissy and perpetuating stubbornness. Fact is, Castrol doesn't have a WSS-M2C931-B certified oil. Do what you want with that FACT.

Or one could say "interesting...thank you for the info. I'll look further into it so I can make the choice that I feel is right for my needs." But that's just me and my reasonable thinking.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
You can do whatever you want. Google the spec and info is all over the place. I'm not forcing you to do anything. But choosing the correct oil seems to be a pretty menial task vs getting pissy and perpetuating stubbornness. Fact is, Castrol doesn't have a WSS-M2C931-B certified oil. Do what you want with that FACT.

Or one could say "interesting...thank you for the info. I'll look further into it so I can make the choice that I feel is right for my needs." But that's just me and my reasonable thinking.
It took people a while to accept the fact that synthetic oils were superior to conventional oil and that it wasn't just a money grab on the ignorant masses. It's probably the same mentality now with performance differences within the synthetic oil family itself.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Hey guys correct me if I am wrong on this. As far as I know, Ford and its engineers only approve of four 5/50 oil brands for the voodoo engine. Motorcraft, amsoil, lucas and just recently castrol supercar. I have used all but castrol supercar as it is almost impossible to aquire in north america and cannot honestly say I have noticed a difference in performance over the 39000 km I have driven the car changing it frequently and logging consumption the whole time ( so far one quart every 510 miles).

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It took people a while to accept the fact that synthetic oils were superior to conventional oil and that it wasn't just a money grab on the ignorant masses. It's probably the same mentality now with performance differences within the synthetic oil family itself.
And for the simple fact that there's a specification. I mean, it's not hard, right?

Click here

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
While I whole heartedly agree you gotta pick your battles...I will say this about manufacturers certifications on oil, or any product for that matter. More often than not, an oil company doesn't want to pay (for whatever reason) to have an oil meet certification X. More often than not, when an oil doesn't wear a manufacturers certification, it most certainly does not mean that said oil doesn't meet the spec. It just means they didn't buy the label. Also, a car/engine manufacturers spec is the "minimum" standards to meet the requirements they set forth. Again more often that not, an aftermarket oil, even one not wearing the spec, will far exceed the requirements set forth by the manufacturer. Case in point...for years, Amsoil's SSO line of oils didn't wear any manufacturers specs (or no Ford ones at least). And this is their top tier PAO oil. Does it, and did it then exceed specs? Absolutely. What changed in the formula or anything else to finally get the manufacturers spec? Not a darn thing. They have since added manufacturers specs to the bottle. Why? Most likely a business decision to increase sales (the folks that didn't buy it solely because it didn't wear that label) or to go after certain markets; who knows.

Does running a top shelf oil with no spec label mean you're using an oil that doesn't meet spec? Most likely not. Is there risk of engine damage? No more no less than with a product that does. The only risk is a warranty battle. Everyone has to make their own educated decision. I ran one of the Amsoil oils in question in my truck for years before the warranty ended (which they have since added the spec to the bottle). And if the current Amsoil 5W50 was still SN certified but didn't have a Ford spec on it, I'd still be using it. But, that's me and that's an educated decision I make.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
While I whole heartedly agree you gotta pick your battles...I will say this about manufacturers certifications on oil, or any product for that matter. More often than not, an oil company doesn't want to pay (for whatever reason) to have an oil meet certification X. More often than not, when an oil doesn't wear a manufacturers certification, it most certainly does not mean that said oil doesn't meet the spec. It just means they didn't buy the label. Also, a car/engine manufacturers spec is the "minimum" standards to meet the requirements they set forth. Again more often that not, an aftermarket oil, even one not wearing the spec, will far exceed the requirements set forth by the manufacturer. Case in point...for years, Amsoil's SSO line of oils didn't wear any manufacturers specs (or no Ford ones at least). And this is their top tier PAO oil. Does it, and did it then exceed specs? Absolutely. What changed in the formula or anything else to finally get the manufacturers spec? Not a darn thing. They have since added manufacturers specs to the bottle. Why? Most likely a business decision to increase sales (the folks that didn't buy it solely because it didn't wear that label) or to go after certain markets; who knows.

Does running a top shelf oil with no spec label mean you're using an oil that doesn't meet spec? Most likely not. Is there risk of engine damage? No more no less than with a product that does. The only risk is a warranty battle. Everyone has to make their own educated decision. I ran one of the Amsoil oils in question in my truck for years before the warranty ended (which they have since added the spec to the bottle). And if the current Amsoil 5W50 was still SN certified but didn't have a Ford spec on it, I'd still be using it. But, that's me and that's an educated decision I make.
I agree with your point but something interesting to consider is why aren't the other 5w50 oil makers going after the cert?

How many cars, aside from FP cars, run a 5w50?

The GT500s, Boss 302s, Focus RS, and all the GT350s run the 5w50.

Seems like that's enough of a market to push towards.

I wouldn't bat an eye at putting redline or amsoil in this car, I would even prefer it. But at a 30% increase in oil cost, and considering I change my oil every 1000-1500 miles or so, I can't justify that.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree with your point but something interesting to consider is why aren't the other 5w50 oil makers going after the cert?

How many cars, aside from FP cars, run a 5w50?

The GT500s, Boss 302s, Focus RS, and all the GT350s run the 5w50.

Seems like that's enough of a market to push towards.

I wouldn't bat an eye at putting redline or amsoil in this car, I would even prefer it. But at a 30% increase in oil cost, and considering I change my oil every 1000-1500 miles or so, I can't justify that.

I can't really think of many cars that do. Walk into a parts store and ask for 5w-50 and they'll look at you like you have a feather sticking out of your ear.

And your oil change intervals are completely unnecessary and a waste. There's not wrong with getting the most out of your oil including mileage. There's plenty of us who beat on our cars like they owe us money, a bee jay, and even possibly a handy along with said blowie and we're changing at 4 - 5000 miles without any issues with consumption or performance degradation.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I can't really think of many cars that do. Walk into a parts store and ask for 5w-50 and they'll look at you like you have a feather sticking out of your ear.

And your oil change intervals are completely unnecessary and a waste. There's not wrong with getting the most out of your oil including mileage. There's plenty of us who beat on our cars like they owe us money, a bee jay, and even possibly a handy along with said blowie and we're changing at 4 - 5000 miles without any issues with consumption or performance degradation.
Every 2-3 track days and I change mine. I used to do it after every track day but I don't do it that often anymore.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
But at a 30% increase in oil cost, and considering I change my oil every 1000-1500 miles or so, I can't justify that.
nastang beat me to it....That my friend, is not cheap insurance, it's not good maintenance...that is nothing but pure throwing money away. So in your case I agree, run the cheapest thing you can run.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Just changed my oil today at lunch time at 3K now second oil change using Amsoil 5/50 I will not change it again until probably 7500 miles and every 7500 from then on. I also took a sample to do a Blackstone analysis. I know this has been posted before but I used the form a funnel and did not spill a drop worked like a champ.
DSC05789.JPG
DSC05790.JPG
DSC05791.JPG
DSC05787.JPG

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Every 2-3 track days and I change mine. I used to do it after every track day but I don't do it that often anymore.
I think it's smart to change oil often when you are running at the track a lot.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ