Sponsored

LED Map light install - broken dome light housing tab (ugh)

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
So I went to put these DD map light LEDs in since it's, well, very straight forward. According to the internet, it's the easiest thing to do - pry dome light housing down from the back, pop out bulbs, put in new ones.

For whatever reason, my dome light housing took a LOT more force to undo than any other video on the internet I've seen, when it finally did pop out, half of the passenger side plastic mounting tab stayed inside of the metal clip that retains it. Of course this would happen to me. Anyway, now it's very loose and wiggles a lot. Am I the only one this has happened to/how could I attempt to repair the tab or at least make it wiggle less without spending I'm sure $100+ for a new housing.

Dumb.
Sponsored

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
I had the same thing happen to me when I did my led light kit. That stupid tab gets caught and separates from the housing. Actually I started breaking the plastic holder inside the roof from yanking so hard. I used some silicone on the tab when I put it back together and itā€™s been holding fine. I still hate that dome light lol

fuzzdrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So I went to put these DD map light LEDs in since it's, well, very straight forward. According to the internet, it's the easiest thing to do - pry dome light housing down from the back, pop out bulbs, put in new ones.

For whatever reason, my dome light housing took a LOT more force to undo than any other video on the internet I've seen, when it finally did pop out, half of the passenger side plastic mounting tab stayed inside of the metal clip that retains it. Of course this would happen to me. Anyway, now it's very loose and wiggles a lot. Am I the only one this has happened to/how could I attempt to repair the tab or at least make it wiggle less without spending I'm sure $100+ for a new housing.

Dumb.
I'm also one of the unlucky ones. Did you ever come up with a solution?

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I had nearly the same thing, also on the passenger side - the plastic tab stuck in the metal clip and was basically shredded. To resolve the issue I had to bend the metal tab back into shape (it got messed up too!), but of course now it wouldn't hold onto the tab. My short term fix was to wrap some electrical tape around the plastic tab. It added enough material so the metal clip could grab onto something and seems to be holding firm some 6 months later.

"Fixing" my brand new car this way was not the highlight of my day, but it is working. My "plan B" if it fails, other that buying a new housing or trying to find one online / junk yard, is to drill a small hole in the base of the plastic tab, then feed a small black zip tie up through it and loop it through the mounting bracket on the roof. Cinch it up, try to tuck the buckle part of the tie in, and just cut the zip tie if I had to replace the bulb in the future.......

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 / 10auto

Dumb.
Same thing happened to me in my brand new ride... seems like the 2018ā€™s have tighter clearance in the figment of these tabs or maybe different metal clips? Anyways it pissed me off an I tried to have the dealer replace it since I took it in to get the paint fixed (light paint spot from factory) and check the A/C since it seems like it doesnā€™t get very cold at least not as a new car should be. My ā€˜14 jeep A/C puts this one to shame... Anyways, long story short, they called me yesterday and said that the Service manager denied to cover it under warranty so I either got to argue and convince him that it came from the factory like that or fix it myself. A bunch of bullshit for a dome light. I personally think the design is wrong because the clips used are way too tight and break the cheap thin plastic tabs off before they release out of the roof mount. Too much force is required to disengage the tabs/mount and the plastic tabs cannot take it.
BTW the dealer told me the replacement is over $640 because they replace the whole unit (even though you can take the components out of the shell and swap them over)
What should I do?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Same thing happened to me in my brand new ride... seems like the 2018ā€™s have tighter clearance in the figment of these tabs or maybe different metal clips? Anyways it pissed me off an I tried to have the dealer replace it since I took it in to get the paint fixed (light paint spot from factory) and check the A/C since it seems like it doesnā€™t get very cold at least not as a new car should be. My ā€˜14 jeep A/C puts this one to shame... Anyways, long story short, they called me yesterday and said that the Service manager denied to cover it under warranty so I either got to argue and convince him that it came from the factory like that or fix it myself. A bunch of bullshit for a dome light. I personally think the design is wrong because the clips used are way too tight and break the cheap thin plastic tabs off before they release out of the roof mount. Too much force is required to disengage the tabs/mount and the plastic tabs cannot take it.
BTW the dealer told me the replacement is over $640 because they replace the whole unit (even though you can take the components out of the shell and swap them over)
What should I do?
How much of yours broke off? If there is any of the plastic part left in the roof, I would slather it with JB weld or similar expoxy-type adhesive (unless you think you will be wanting to take it off again any time soon), and stick it back into place and let it cure, while applying upward pressure. I did this with a little JB weld and mine has been firmly in place ever since.

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 / 10auto
How much of yours broke off? If there is any of the plastic part left in the roof, I would slather it with JB weld or similar expoxy-type adhesive (unless you think you will be wanting to take it off again any time soon), and stick it back into place and let it cure, while applying upward pressure. I did this with a little JB weld and mine has been firmly in place ever since.
I want to be able to remove it again afterwards so I was thinking of rebuilding the tabs so they can clip in the mounts and be removed also

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I had a very similar issue when I went to change the bulbs in my 2018. I found some youtube videos of other people doing the install. From what I was able to figure out, in the 2018's they went from single side clips pre 18 to double sided clips. I ended up having to pull the housing down with one hand and then use a screwdriver to depress each side of the clip. You have to press the outside of the clip and then the interior for each side, so four in total. You need to keep holding it so can't let go of the housing otherwise it goes back up. Super annoying, the worst design I have ever seen. It was almost as bad as the vanity lights. Makes me miss Toyota, so easy to do.

If your metal clips and plastic clips are still in tact, you can bend the metal ones back and then push the housing back up. It should secure it. Otherwise the electrical tape sounds like a good idea.

HFLPUF2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I did the same thing . I broke both clips that are still attched to the roof. Im working on a solution but for the time being I just pressed my harness back up. It's barely holding and has annoying nvh now.

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
Iā€™m glad I saw this thread since Iā€™ll be getting my car soon and this is my first planned install.

Is it still possible to pry open the map light lenses with a pick and install the LEDs that way? I think American Muscle showed that in their install video.

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Iā€™m glad I saw this thread since Iā€™ll be getting my car soon and this is my first planned install.

Is it still possible to pry open the map light lenses with a pick and install the LEDs that way? I think American Muscle showed that in their install video.
I tried that but it ended up being worse for me. I ended up pushing the plastic piece that holds the bulb out of its spot and then back into the housing. Had to pull the whole thing down to fix it.

I would recommend just being slow and taking your time. If you want I can link the YouTube videos that I watched that might help.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I tried that but it ended up being worse for me. I ended up pushing the plastic piece that holds the bulb out of its spot and then back into the housing. Had to pull the whole thing down to fix it.

I would recommend just being slow and taking your time. If you want I can link the YouTube videos that I watched that might help.
Yes, links please.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
By far the dumbest effing design ever. Those clips are like the jaws of death.

Drivers side clip stayed inside the bracket and the bracket separated from the plastic housing on the roof.

Passenger side clip broke off.

I got the lights in. Yay.

But now I have a map light housing that does not sit flush. I have a gap and itā€™s loose.

Any suggestions on how I can get it to sit flush again? Iā€™m gonna try gorilla glue and electrical tape around the broken clip to get it to grab into the clip again...hopefully.
0E3EBB45-C88F-4D94-B070-AFD58FA3BAA3.jpeg
07154F7D-2E83-4E65-B119-36DE6B390710.jpeg
8A4B66DC-62D9-4771-891E-6C58198A72C7.jpeg

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Get the metal clip out and attach it to the plastic post. Use screw if needed to put it in the correct place.
Sponsored