N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Shell, as a brand, certainly isn't ethanol free. Sounds like you are talking about a single station.
All shell 91 octane here is ethanol free.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
All shell 91 octane here is ethanol free.
Seems rather odd. Is Canada anti-ethanol? Only one Shell station in my area has ethanol free gas, and it is about $1 more per gallon. The Shell I hit is E10.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Is Canada anti-ethanol
Nah.. shell 91 is the exception. Mostly everything else is e10. Ironically, E85 stations are a very rare thing, even though we have one of the largest ethanol producing plants in N.America.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Last edited:

Sponsored

Scorpio27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
17 Hellcat A8 -18 Mustang GT PP A10
12:1 compression hight RPM /HP engine and your going to feed it 87 !! you should be Driving a Camry !! we are talking like 3 Bucks a tank difference at that - Common sense aint so common !!!!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
12:1 compression hight RPM /HP engine and your going to feed it 87 !! you should be Driving a Camry !! we are talking like 3 Bucks a tank difference at that - Common sense aint so common !!!!
The study was done on a 15-17 model, so it wasn't 12:1 compression... and the manual straight from Ford says 87 is fine. But what do the engineers at Ford know... They only... wait for it... DESIGNED THE CAR! Go troll somewhere else.

Straight from the owners manual of a 2018 Ford Mustang GT. Page 133. "Your vehicle was designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline."
DesignedToOperate.jpg

Scorpio27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
17 Hellcat A8 -18 Mustang GT PP A10
The study was done on a 15-17 model, so it wasn't 12:1 compression... and the manual straight from Ford says 87 is fine. But what do the engineers at Ford know... They only... wait for it... DESIGNED THE CAR! Go troll somewhere else.

Straight from the owners manual of a 2018 Ford Mustang GT. Page 133. "Your vehicle was designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline."
DesignedToOperate.jpg
Thats for all the cheap Bastards that want to drive it like an economy car I will keep putting premium in my car
you can feed yourself mcdonalds and Junk food everyday too lets see your performance and insides when you do that every day TOO!!!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Thats for all the cheap Bastards that want to drive it like an economy car I will keep putting premium in my car
you can feed yourself mcdonalds and Junk food everyday too lets see your performance and insides when you do that every day TOO!!!

I'll reiterate what I said above. A 13 hp difference and maybe 2-3 mpg difference between regular and premium. Just because you think regular gas will hurt your car doesn't mean it's true. Opinions are like anuses... Everyone has one.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I've got a better idea. How about someone show the knock sensor between using 87 and 93 octane during a spirited drive? If the sensor is tripped exactly the same, then the argument becomes the horsepower\timing difference only.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Run your 87 if it makes you feel better but you are leaving performance / throttle response on the table whether you want to admit/believe it or not.

It's the area under the curve and high load situations that you'll see less knock / more timing and this is what matters in every day driving. Not the 10-13hp peak number all those articles quote. 91 is superior up there and as well as everywhere else in the RPM band.

I challenge some who runs 87 do a WOT run 2-3x on the same stretch of road and datalog it. Log knock / ignition timing / rpm / iat / gear # / ambient temperature.

Start the pulls from 2k rpm to redline and post them.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My current commute is 140+ miles round trip. I'm burning regular until I move closer to the job.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If someone has a tune they should be running the best fuel available. With any engine performance mods why wouldn't you run the max octane? A modder spends a lot of money looking for every last hp they can get, so spending pennies less for fuel doesn't make sense in that scenario.

Just stock and commuting around? Yeah regular or whatever and forget about it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Run your 87 if it makes you feel better but you are leaving performance / throttle response on the table whether you want to admit/believe it or not.

It's the area under the curve and high load situations that you'll see less knock / more timing and this is what matters in every day driving. Not the 10-13hp peak number all those articles quote. 91 is superior up there and as well as everywhere else in the RPM band.

I challenge some who runs 87 do a WOT run 2-3x on the same stretch of road and datalog it. Log knock / ignition timing / rpm / iat / gear # / ambient temperature.

Start the pulls from 2k rpm to redline and post them.
I'm all for running the 93 tune with 93 octane at the track, but when commuting? Why waste money? Me burning 93 octane commuting back and forth to work is like me taking money and lighting it on fire and watching it disappear.

@Dr. Norts I'll datalog over the weekend under normal cruising, idle, and WOT, and report back here sometime next week.

If someone has a tune they should be running the best fuel available. With any engine performance mods why wouldn't you run the max octane? A modder spends a lot of money looking for every last hp they can get, so spending pennies less for fuel doesn't make sense in that scenario.

Just stock and commuting around? Yeah regular or whatever and forget about it.

Pennies less? lol? Name one place where you can fill up with premium that is just pennies over the cost of regular? Stop with the bullshit.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Your car will make the most HP with the LEAST amount of octane before detonation. That's a fact. Another fact; Fords Timing and Fuel tables are very conservative. So yeah.. bone stock Mustang running 87 vs 91 not to big of a gap, 87 vs 93 the gap opens up. Tuned 87 vs tuned 91, 91 be like:
29243793_1647325152029110_4038666587195047936_n.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.