• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
12:1 compression hight RPM /HP engine and your going to feed it 87 !! you should be Driving a Camry !! we are talking like 3 Bucks a tank difference at that - Common sense aint so common !!!!
Sorry, it's $7.50 per tank in my neck of the woods. Spread out over 18k miles per year adds up to a pretty good chunk of change.
Sponsored

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Keep this thread clean please.

Reactions: Ebm

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Run your 87 if it makes you feel better but you are leaving performance / throttle response on the table whether you want to admit/believe it or not.

It's the area under the curve and high load situations that you'll see less knock / more timing and this is what matters in every day driving. Not the 10-13hp peak number all those articles quote. 91 is superior up there and as well as everywhere else in the RPM band.

I challenge some who runs 87 do a WOT run 2-3x on the same stretch of road and datalog it. Log knock / ignition timing / rpm / iat / gear # / ambient temperature.

Start the pulls from 2k rpm to redline and post them.
You didn't read the report did you? They posted the full dyno, and that 10-13 hp is only in a small area of the curve...mostly in the mid range.

From the report...
Capture.jpg

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I'm all for running the 93 tune with 93 octane at the track, but when commuting? Why waste money? Me burning 93 octane commuting back and forth to work is like me taking money and lighting it on fire and watching it disappear.

@Dr. Norts I'll datalog over the weekend under normal cruising, idle, and WOT, and report back here sometime next week.

Pennies less? lol? Name one place where you can fill up with premium that is just pennies over the cost of regular? Stop with the bullshit.
Ever heard of hyperbole? Get a grip. It's an insignificant amount of money.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
You didn't read the report did you? They posted the full dyno, and that 10-13 hp is only in a small area of the curve...mostly in the mid range.
I suspect the difference between 87 and 93 in a 2018+ GT is quite a bit larger than the 10-13 hp difference due to the increased compression. Everyone has the right to run what they like, but as a mechanical engineer myself, there is no way in hell I would put 87 in this car.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Ever heard of hyperbole? Get a grip. It's an insignificant amount of money.
Insignificant? For who? It's about $500 worth of fuel for me per year, or well over half of my insurance. Would you switch insurance companies if they were able to cut your rates in half?
Obviously, if you drive very few miles per year your results will differ. But for many, it's not an "insignificant" amount of money...especially for an insignificant amount of performance increase. Would you pay an extra $41 per month....for the life of the vehicle for a measly 10hp? I sure as hell wouldn't.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I suspect the difference between 87 and 93 in a 2018+ GT is quite a bit larger than the 10-13 hp difference due to the increased compression. Everyone has the right to run what they like, but as a mechanical engineer myself, there is no way in hell I would put 87 in this car.
I suspect not. Myself being a mechanical engineer trusts the engineers at Ford to have done their job with fuel and timing adjustments for 87 octane. You seem to forget that direct injection allows these cars to run 87 octane. Looking at the report, the results were pretty uniform. The turbocharged F150 lost less hp (as a percentage) than the mustang. The Mazda Miata in that report had an 13:1 compression ratio and lost less than 1% of it's horsepower (the least in the test) running regular fuel.

I find it crazy that people have no problem throwing a supercharger on these "high compression" vehicles with 8+ PSI but throw out red flags when someone want's to run 87 octane stock.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
People that drive a Mustang gt with 87 octane. Should be driving a Prius. You want to save money why would you buy a gas guzzling v8. Lol that’s too funny. This thread mad me laugh so hard. Thank you all you 87 octane users

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
People that drive a Mustang gt with 87 octane. Should be driving a Prius. You want to save money why would you buy a gas guzzling v8. Lol that’s too funny. This thread mad me laugh so hard. Thank you all you 87 octane users
Thankfully, Our gas guzzling V8s happily suck down 87 octane with almost no detriment in performance. Those of us that run 87 are laughing all the way to the bank. Have fun accelerating .02 seconds faster to that next stoplight. :like:

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
Gotta love the internet. Anyone can say anything they want to another person that they would never say to someone in person. If someone wants to run 87 in their car, why is it such a big deal? It's not like someone putting 87 in their car is all the sudden going to affect every single other v8 Mustang on the planet.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Gotta love the internet. Anyone can say anything they want to another person that they would never say to someone in person. If someone wants to run 87 in their car, why is it such a big deal? It's not like someone putting 87 in their car is all the sudden going to affect every single other v8 Mustang on the planet.
Because some people have to feel like they are running something better than others.

I mean, think about it. We're talking about less than 10hp which equates to less than .1 seconds in the 1/4 mile....at an expense (for me) of over $40 per month. I personally like to keep tabs on where my money goes, and 0.1 seconds isn't worth jack on the street.

Again, some people like to feel like they are running something superior to others...and they'll do it regardless of cost.

These cars were ENGINEERED to run on 87 octane people. Ford knows people use these for daily drivers....kudos to them for catering to the >15k mile per year crowd.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Laughing to the bank lol. You must have money problem if you can’t afford premium. It’s ok. Your broke We get it. Glad your mommy let your use the computer tonight. . Cool story. Enjoy your 87 in a performance car.
Riddle me this, would you pay $2500 for a 10 horsepower modification that maintained warranty?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Riddle me this, would you pay $2500 for a 10 horsepower modification that maintained warranty?

Obviously these people are smarter than the engineers who made the car right? They have to be smarter talking like they do. :crackup:

Status
Not open for further replies.