GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, I've been under my car a lot for the past couple days. I'm up in Ohio with a 2015 and 13K miles. My driveshaft and iron diff case are rusty but the rest of the underbody has none of that other stuff.

Maybe it sat on the lot for awhile????:shrug:
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
not normal given your circumstances, did the car from another dealer?

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Wow. Some of that looks to be peeling off. Do you work or live near industrial parks or chemical plants? It’s amazing what we pickup from the road.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm a mile from the ocean and the level of contamination is epic. As an example, a paint can left in the garage for one month will have rust completely covering the lid. You may not see road salt but you may have airborne salt carried by winds.
I also live a mile from the ocean. I have a 14yr old truck which has spent most of its life near the ocean, and I have driven it many times through salt floodwater, yet it doesn't even look as bad as the pictures in the OP. I have some widespread surface rust underneath, and that's about it. This Mustang looks like some of my boat parts.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
looks like a flood car don't it. or sat in a deep puddle lot during heavy rains.
Looks like it sat in salt water for a long time. I have a few mild steel parts on my boat that look like that after regular saltwater exposure for 6 years.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
That's not normal at all.

My car is a 15, has around 10000km on it and the undercarriage looks the way it did when it left the showroom, spotless. Its seen rain a bunch of times and I drive it in early spring when there is still salt dust and shit on the roads.

If the car was parked on grass for an extended period if time this might happen but it still looks bad even for that. Everything would have been new and painted from the factory and for the surface rust to be all over like that, seems really odd. The rust in the tie rod threads and bottoms of the ball joints and especially those brake line support brackets. Looks like it spent some time under water. Even all the aluminum has started to oxidise heavily which also points to an extended swim in some salt water.

The surface rust on the bottom of your car looks about half as bad as my 2008 infinit FX. But that vehicle is a daily driver and loves the salt lol.

I'd even say that there's a good possibility this car spent some time at least in a foot or two of water..... Hurricane Irma car. I'd bet the water didn't get high enough to get into the interior much but rusted everything underneath like it has. I'd try to find out where the car was during the hurricane and for a few weeks after the hurricane. Then find info on how high the flood waters got there and I think you'll find your answer.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I will echo what everyone else is saying, that looks excessive. I live in Montreal, Qc and my 8 year old Subaru doesn't look that bad.

My Mustang is a 2017 with 1500 miles and is spotless underneath.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I agree with others here I would start running this up the chain of command and find a lawyer, no way I keep that car. That is not normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP

pcrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Feedback

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have edited the original thread to address some of the questions and concerns. Keep them coming.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Is there a distinct line/height with no rust above and all the rust below? If you can somehow find a demarcation point of the rusted areas that is the same everywhere underneath the car, that proves that it sat in water.

Post a location / address of the dealership, I want to cross-reference it with flood maps.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have edited the original thread to address some of the questions and concerns. Keep them coming.
Even running through salt water, I wouldn't expect that level of corrosion in a couple months. Even the parts that I believe are cast aluminum seem to have heavy oxidation.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have had a similar experience with my 2006 dodge truck. I live in the desert, where rust is a non issue for almost everyone including all of my previous and current vehicles. I picked my truck up at a local lot with less than 50 miles on the odometer. It was really really dirty when I picked it out of the lot, I just attributed that to sitting for so long in their back inventory. No problem, they washed it and it looked new again so I bought it. Within a couple of months I noticed the rear differential cover began rusting and bubbling the paint off. I wrote it off thinking it’s a truck, so I don’t care. After a few years I noticed all the arms and welded joints on the underbody began showing rust similar to yours. Next the paint began bubbling under all the paint in the bed, so I stripped the paint in the bed and had it bedlined. Figured that was the end of it, then last summer while washing it I found that the paint on top of the cab was blistered and rupturing all over the top (above your head) and rust was all ove is the place. No clue why all this happened to this specific truck, I have a few friends with the same model and year and their trucks have non of these issues. It’s almost like the entire truck was coated or sprayed with something corrosive before being painted at the factory. What’s strange is the hood and sides of the truck are still in great shape, hoping the paint doesn’t start bubbling like the roof has. I’d suggest you open up a case with Ford because if it’s like my truck it’s going to get worse and might even start ruining your paint job. Hope that’s not the case. Good luck.

Last edited:

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
dont new cars have a pretty extensive warranty against rust?
Sponsored