DEALERSHIP TOTALED MY CAR!!!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I guess to an extent. I think this is a bit different than finding a finger nail in your food though. As much as I want to agree with your statement. I'm not necessarily saying the OP should go and find a gold mine...but looking at the facts.

1. The dealer wrecked his car. Fault or not of mechanic, sales person, etc. He deserves a new one and shouldn't have to pay for a new one, seeing as this was NOT his fault.
2. The car was more than likely being effed with in this case. I'm just guessing by the damage.
3. The dealer is attempting to profit off their mistakes, and take advantage.
4. This guy is without a car, has to have a rental, as well as make payments (I assume he is) on a car that will NEVER be new and MIGHT be totaled.

He is granted somethings. At the very least, the dealership should suffer for this fault. I don't see any way around that.
you make some good points, and I feel for anyone in this situation. To respond to your specific points, the way I see it is:

1. Yes the dealer did wreck his car, no dispute. But he does not necessarily deserve a new one because of that regardless of fault. It was not new when it was wrecked, mind you. Would I be upset if this happened? Yes. If I were the dealer would I do some of the things being suggested (special pricing on a new one, for example)? Yes. Is it fully deserved? Not necessarily.
2. We do not really know that, but it is likely for sure. Certainly it would be expected that a technician treat the car much more carefully than his or her own.
3. You lost me here, I am not sure how the dealer is profiting off of this.
4. I thought that the OP was supplied a rental car, if not then they are owed that. Usually also for lost time at work to deal with it because that is a tangible material loss. Where people lost me is in the arguments over mental anguish and the like, but I think that has been covered well. But the car was not new when it was wrecked, so yeah it will never be new regardless of this incident. But I get your point, usually a wrecked car will not behave in the same way after. There is no question that the OP is inconvenienced by this, and hopefully it gets solved soon and fairly.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I think I would just ask for a check for full insurance replacement value and reimbursement for any costs associated with the situation, like rental car, transportation costs, etc. A mistake is a mistake. You can't ask for much more than an apology and to make it square. Pay off the loan and put the extra down on a 17, and if they're a ford dealer ask them to get you their best possible rate.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
While I see fair point that his has was used therefore he should get comparable used one, I think he needs _some_ compensation for pain in the ass he has to deal with. He brought his car for service and now he doesn't have one and I am betting he is not having a lot of fun dealing with this shit. Put yourselves in his shoes.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing the car wasn't a classic. Then it would be a real mess

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
I think I would just ask for a check for full insurance replacement value and reimbursement for any costs associated with the situation, like rental car, transportation costs, etc. A mistake is a mistake. You can't ask for much more than an apology and to make it square. Pay off the loan and put the extra down on a 17, and if they're a ford dealer ask them to get you their best possible rate.
Their mistake shouldn't cost you a good sum out of your pocket.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Their mistake shouldn't cost you a good sum out of your pocket.
That was my point. He's entitled to a replacement 15 with similar mileage and equipment, but the dealer needs to take care of moving the aftermarket parts over and really making it right. Just paying out replacement value is NOT fair.

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
Good thing the car wasn't a classic. Then it would be a real mess

True; at least modern cars are easily replaceable - a totaled Classic is whole different story. I can compare totaling a Classic to damaging an Exotic car.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
True; at least modern cars are easily replaceable - a totaled Classic is whole different story. I can compare totaling a Classic to damaging an Exotic car.
What about an LE Mustang...not many were made.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
One would think that bad press on the dealership is worth more than the difference between the '15 and the '17. This is where the dealership needs to dig a little in his pockets and not just his insurance companies.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
This is why my mustang has never been back to any ford dealership. I only go with a local shop that has already had opportunity to impress me with how they react when they screw up. I am terrified of having a warranty item and not being able to avoid the dealership.

Sorry to hear this OP. I hope they can do right by you and get you back into another car quickly. If the tech was joyriding screw them to the wall for a 17. If the tech was just going for a drive and wrecked (his fault or not) push for a comparable 15 and all mods switched over. Good luck either way.

OP
OP

5LITERV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Here are some updates on my situation.

So I called my insurance Liberty Mutual again to see if there is anything they can do regarding my situation. They told me again, since the car was operated by the dealership there is nothing they can do. So no help from them.

After talking with Liberty Mutual I called US Bank again to see if they are willing to do a substitution of collateral on the loan. I spoke with one of the senior bankers there followed by a manager in their total loss department and they all told me the same thing. They don't do a substitution of collateral on a total loss. This really makes no sense to me. I was trying to argue with them that the MSRP on the new collateral is 45k which is way more than the value of the current collateral but it was hopeless.

So after being told NO by the insurance and the bank the GM called me today. He wanted to follow up on our previous conversation regarding his question on what value would I put on the new 2017 Mustang that is being built (order was placed on 08/10). I told him again that the value is $0 as he has to think about the value of all of my losses starting with the $13k for my trade-in. After going back and forth for a few minutes we came to some sort of a number he can work on. I told him that if he can make my financial situation the same as it was when I got my 2015 Mustang originally I would be happy with the outcome. I sent him a copy of my sales contact to see how much was the total amount financed and what my payment was. He told me that he is going to do everything possible to make these numbers work for me and again he said that he wants me to leave his dealership with a smile on my face.

The police report is not available yet as it can take up to 10 business days from the date of the accident so I will post that as soon as I have it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
5LITERV8 - So was the car actually looked at by a body shop and the estimate came out to be total per the insurance company's definition?

Sounds like the dealership is trying hard to make you happy ... hope it all works out.
Sponsored