Sponsored

Oil on spark plugs

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
So got my car back from the heavy oil problem I had from the dealer. They replaced the PCV system and complete turbo set up. Well after about 50 miles since I got the car back I installed my intake, catch can and spark plugs. So everything went semi smoothly. The catch can was a bitch, well the intake side clip was lol. Well anyways I take out the spark plugs and they're covered in oil. I'm gonna hold off on installing the tune and intercooler and drive it another 4K miles and check the plugs. If they have oil on them back to the dealer for a new short block. So as of now my stock turbo build is on hold. This car has been a pain in my ass but still love it :)

Below is a link to my original post about oil in my turbo

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56644&highlight=Oil+spark+plugs
image.jpg
Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Mine had some very slight oil fouling at times, but that is a shit ton of juice. Are you monitoring oil consumption?

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine had some very slight oil fouling at times, but that is a shit ton of juice. Are you monitoring oil consumption?
Yea like 3-4 quarts of oil in between oil changes was what it was eating before I took it in.... So far oil looks fine but I'll give it a couple thousand miles with the new plugs and want to see how much oil it goes through if any at all.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I dont think the car is gonna magically get better, for some reason id guess the ring pack is not sealed up. Id do a leakdown on it, and compression test. If you dont wanna work on it, and its under warranty, id just take it right back to the dealer today, no reason to keep driving it, its not gonna seal up. You could somehow vent the PVC system to atmosphere, and if the plugs still get wet like that, you know for sure its not your PVC system, and the engine is not happy. I can only assume the dealer will beat around the bush for a long time till they really fix it for you, so your gonna have to troubleshoot it yourself. The only thing that could make that happen is oil going into the intake manifold, or oil coming from the crankcase past the rings, vent pvc system to atmosphere, and it will answer your question. It will throw a code if you VTA, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Or you could take it to the dealer right now, but as said, one can only assume, they will milk the cow for a while.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Looks like theres lots of buildup on the left 2 plugs near the center of the electrode, take a picture of them from the opposite direction.

Sponsored

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Is that oil on the upper part of the plug - the metal body and insulator - from you handling the plugs? I don't see how oil from the cylinder could possibly get there if the plugs are installed properly.

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that oil on the upper part of the plug - the metal body and insulator - from you handling the plugs? I don't see how oil from the cylinder could possibly get there if the plugs are installed properly.
I'm pretty sure the oil travelled up from me handling it.... All the oil was on the business end.

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After a little under 100 miles already a bit of oil on the plugs.... I prayed I didn't have to but back to the dealership it goes. I raised hell so hopefully I get a rental lol.
image.jpg

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
After a little under 100 miles already a bit of oil on the plugs.... I prayed I didn't have to but back to the dealership it goes. I raised hell so hopefully I get a rental lol.
You changes plugs then ? That plug looks OK other than oil on the threads, there is no oil burnt onto the porcelain. Take a close up of the plug. I onder if the Dealer never changed out the original plugs and thats why they ere so bad.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That looks like oil is getting into the spark plug wells, it doesn't look like it's coming from the engine block.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
That looks like oil is getting into the spark plug wells, it doesn't look like it's coming from the engine block.
I agree too, heck that plug looks fine now to me, other than the oil on the threads, You and Hissman are right I bet. That annoys me, I bet Ford left the old plugs in and threw me for a loop. They saved $20 though ....

More thoughts : As much oil as you had from your earlier post, its possible there was and still is quite a bit of oil in the intercooler and intake manifold, could be why the plugs had buildup on the center electrode in your original picture. Ford could have changed plugs, but there might have still been oil in the IC and intake.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Outside scope of discussion:
Do ya think there's enough threads on those plugs?? Geez...

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
Have them replace the valve cover. Look like all of the oil, if not most, are coming from valve cover seal on plug holes

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you are reading those plugs from right to left, it's #2 and #4 see all the oil above the threads on the body of the plug.

I agree with SYK, get them to investigate the spark plug wells and the valve cover gasket.
Sponsored