Sponsored

2017 Mustang GT ticks

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
Just dropped my '17 GT / PP2 off at Santa Monica Ford for diagnosis of tick, will report back.
Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
All this talk of engine failure has me scared, so I will be dropping my car off to have it looked at as well. I’m curious, if I bring it in and they find no cause, if my engine fails outside of warranty and it’s due to this tick, will it still be covered or will I be SOL?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
All this talk of engine failure has me scared, so I will be dropping my car off to have it looked at as well. I’m curious, if I bring it in and they find no cause, if my engine fails outside of warranty and it’s due to this tick, will it still be covered or will I be SOL?
You'd be SOL unless you find some amazing dealer. My service advisor was sort of trying to cover it up. The tech said he could hear it but then the advisor called back and said that they can't actually hear it. I traded my car in soon after, but I wasn't happy with how they flip flopped. The sound was so obvious that even my gf who doesn't notice any new noises asked what that ticking was inside a tunnel.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
You'd be SOL unless you find some amazing dealer.
So basically hound them until they make it right before the warranty is up.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
What was the cause of the tick again?

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Hey man, i blazed this path already. Read my whole post.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612&highlight

Entire engine replaced - then lemon law'd it for other issues it was having. Ford is gonna blow smoke up you're tailpipe. Its not your clutch. Its not in your driveline, its your engine. The only thing to fix that is a whole new one. Short blocks are jokes, if not milled correctly you'll have fitment issues.

Get the long block like I did and your problems will go away...assuming someone competent installs it. PM with any questions.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I had to lemon my 16 mainly due to the tick. they installed a shortblock to fix it and I would not accept a mechanic that didnt want to turn wrenches on it installing a shortblock. They found bluing and scoring on two cylinder walls.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Mine wasn't as bad as asolt's tick, but it was very similar and more rapid under very light throttle. I only heard it a few times without touching the throttle but I tried to convince myself it was just a heatshield.

I had been tuned very moderately, but still a tune. I knew the Ford would have voided my warranty if the rod went through the block.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Went to pick it up today... ticking wasn't as excessive but still popped a couple times. More pissed off now because my headlights are stupid out of alignment (one is aligned and the other is sticking out) and my fender is damaging my passenger door! Ugh.

On top of it all, the area near the throw out bearing and clutch whines like crazy on start up but stops when it warms. up now. This is totally new. I am seriously regretting buying this thing now. Been almost a month without my car.

Sponsored

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
My car started having the ticks after the first oil change. I read through some threads regarding this issue, and I decided to use 5w30 oil for the 2nd oil change instead. The tick got worse... :frusty: BTW, the ticks happen at around 2000rpm.

Two weeks ago, I hit a racoon on a highway (poor racoon...). The front bumper and the condenser had to be replaced. After I got my car back, the tick was gone. I have no idea how this happened. Does AC/condenser cause the ticks perhaps?

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
My car started having the ticks after the first oil change. I read through some threads regarding this issue, and I decided to use 5w30 oil for the 2nd oil change instead. The tick got worse... :frusty: BTW, the ticks happen at around 2000rpm.

Two weeks ago, I hit a racoon on a highway (poor racoon...). The front bumper and the condenser had to be replaced. After I got my car back, the tick was gone. I have no idea how this happened. Does AC/condenser cause the ticks perhaps?
Shouldn't but you would know the difference based on the location of the ticking. Obviously the AC would be at the front of the engine not towards the bottom.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Went to pick it up today... ticking wasn't as excessive but still popped a couple times. More pissed off now because my headlights are stupid out of alignment (one is aligned and the other is sticking out) and my fender is damaging my passenger door! Ugh.

On top of it all, the area near the throw out bearing and clutch whines like crazy on start up but stops when it warms. up now. This is totally new. I am seriously regretting buying this thing now. Been almost a month without my car.
Did they remove the fenders to replace the clutch?

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Did they remove the fenders to replace the clutch?

No. I was having the panels re-aligned since they did a shit job from the factory. Figured I'd knock it out all at once. Stupid me.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
I just got a call from my dealer saying that the noise is coming from either the suspension or the wheel, not the engine, so that's a huge sigh of relief for me...
Sponsored