Sponsored

2017 Mustang GT ticks

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I just got a call from my dealer saying that the noise is coming from either the suspension or the wheel, not the engine, so that's a huge sigh of relief for me...
Just hope that it's not a giant load of horse$hit they're feeding you...
If the noise happens when you step on the gas very slightly, I doubt it's your wheel or the suspension making that noise.
Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Just hope that it's not a giant load of horse$hit they're feeding you...
If the noise happens when you step on the gas very slightly, I doubt it's your wheel or the suspension making that noise.
Yeah, that's a good point. Didn't even think of that. He still needs to get it on a lift to double check everything, so we'll see what he finds. :shrug:

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
Santa Monica Ford had my car for a week - according to the paperwork I got, the tech dropped the trans and looked at the clutch, and that's it. I get the car a few blocks down the road and I get severe misfiring and a flashing check-engine light(!), so I limp it back to the dealership. Either the tick has become something rather worse, or they broke my Mustang. I've emailed Ford corporate to see where I go from here.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Santa Monica Ford had my car for a week - according to the paperwork I got, the tech dropped the trans and looked at the clutch, and that's it. I get the car a few blocks down the road and I get severe misfiring and a flashing check-engine light(!), so I limp it back to the dealership. Either the tick has become something rather worse, or they broke my Mustang. I've emailed Ford corporate to see where I go from here.
NICE :headbonk:

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The service adviser in Santa Monica Ford just called me, he claims a multiple-cylinder misfire was because "we had to disconnect the battery and it takes a while for the ECU to settle". I laughed. I'm going to take it to a different dealership. It's a pity, sales-wise Santa Monica Ford are _great_, but for servicing I've found them seriously lacking.

Sponsored

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
I'd like to see the outcome of that one, Ultrahax.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The service adviser in Santa Monica Ford just called me, he claims a multiple-cylinder misfire was because "we had to disconnect the battery and it takes a while for the ECU to settle". I laughed. I'm going to take it to a different dealership. It's a pity, sales-wise Santa Monica Ford are _great_, but for servicing I've found them seriously lacking.
He may have somehow cracked the intake manifold while doing the work?

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Got my car back from the dealer today. Long awaited due to trying to get the misaligned body panels fixed but resulted in a month long fight after damage was caused during the process. Word of advise for that: ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER.

Unfortunately, they only replaced the throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel/pressure plate, and slave cylinder due to "uneven clutch wear" and not the engine. In my short drive home I could not replicate it but I am sure it will come back...

Now I have a clutch noise on top of it so that is nice...

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still no joy with the tick. Took it to where I got my PP2 installed, there was an ECU update for the PP2 that apparently addressed ticks, so I had that installed, but it's still ticking, wee. At this point I'm just going to live with it and see if the engine grenades.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just wanted to point this out for those that claim the car is garbage:
2015 sales are 122,349
2016 sales are 105,932
2017 sales are 81,866
2018 for Jan alone is 4,732

That's well over 300k mustangs and there's what, less than 100 people with major problems on this forum and 50% of those are highly modified cars?

Problems aren't fun, I had a bad belt tensioner on my ecoboost and it took us (the dealer, ford field engineer and their senior tech) to figure out the source because it wasn't completely failed and was producing only partial tension.

My fiances 2012 Honda Insight start having severe piston slap at just a 105k miles and was eating 1 quart every 1500 miles (traded that pos in)....Honda has been on the premier companies for quality cars in the past 30 years....and I had a guy at work that had a 2010 insight trouble free for 225k miles, literally same generation of car from the same company.

Every company makes lemons in a mass production car but they are a small percentage of the whole. Forums is where people with problems congregate. You'll see the same crap on Camaro forums, BMW forums and even Mercedes forums (literally one of the top auto makers in the world for overall quality).

Every dealer is different. I was lucky mine has been great. If your dealer sucks start looking for another one that's willing work with you. Ive been given the runaround by dealers before, for example the dealer my fiance bought her insight from we caught outright lying to her...but that doesn't mean every Honda dealer is crap or all Hondas are crap.

I know its frustrating, but as an engineer myself who occasionally has to work with customers on more mysterious and complex issues our engineering techs can't solve, I'm far more willing to work with a customer who isn't an a** to me even if they suspect know the issue is on our end.

That's also another reason to wait on modding the engine until at least the first 36k miles are up. By that point you can have a high confidence level that your particular car doesnt have any major mechanical defects and if it does it will be covered under warranty. The advice on here is great in suggesting that if you suspect an issue bring it in. If its documented but they said it was normal and then something fails you have even more leverage and Ford is legally obligated to honor their warranty coverage. Just my two cents after having experienced some issues myself that are frustrating (belt tension on the eb, burning rubber smell and 1-2 shift issue on my gt).

Last edited:

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Just wanted to point this out for those that claim the car is garbage:
2015 sales are 122,349
2016 sales are 105,932
2017 sales are 81,866
2018 for Jan alone is 4,732

That's well over 300k mustangs and there's what, less than 100 people with major problems on this forum and 50% of those are highly modified cars?

Problems aren't fun, I had a bad belt tensioner on my ecoboost and it took us (the dealer, ford field engineer and their senior tech) to figure out the source because it wasn't completely failed and was producing only partial tension.

My fiances 2012 Honda Insight start having severe piston slap at just a 105k miles and was eating 1 quart every 1500 miles (traded that pos in)....Honda has been on the premier companies for quality cars in the past 30 years....and I had a guy at work that had a 2010 insight trouble free for 225k miles.

Every company makes lemons in a mass production car but they are a small percentage tags of the whole. Forums is where people with problems congregate. You'll see the same crap on Camaro forums, BMW forums and even Mercedes forums (literally one of the top auto makers in the world for overall quality).

Every dealer is different. I was lucky mine has been great. If your dealer sucks start looking for another one that's willing work with you. Ive been given the runaround by dealers before, for example the dealer my fiance bought her insight from we caught outright lying to her...but that doesn't mean every Honda dealer is crap or all Hondas are crap.

I know its frustrating, but as an engineer myself who occasionally has to work with customers on more mysterious and complex issues our engineering techs can't solve, I'm far more willing to work with a customer who isn't an a** to me even if they suspect know the issue is on our end.

That's also another reason to wait on kidding the car until at least the first 36k miles are up. By that point you can have a high confidence level thqt your particular car doesnt have any major mechanical defects and if it does it will be covered under warranty. The advice on here is great in suggesting that if you suspect an issue bring it in. If its documented but they said it was normal and then something fails you have even more leverage and Ford is legally obligated to honor their warranty coverage. Just my two cents after having experienced some issues myself that are frustrating (belt tension on the eb, burning rubber smell and 1-2 shift issue on my gt).
This rationale was used on the Focus RS forums by people who saw dozens of members get the head gasket issue and complained on the forum. Members were told "there's so many cars out there, the forum magnifies the issue because people only report problems". Guess what? Ford found a major design flaw in the head gasket and issued a recall. In some cases, the blocks are also replaced. All of that came after they denied warranty to hundreds of individuals due to them having mods on their cars.

Just turning a blind eye to what is obviously a problem isn't automatically gonna make it ok. If you're trying to post it to make yourself feel better, go ahead and keep your head buried.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
This rationale was used on the Focus RS forums by people who saw dozens of members get the head gasket issue and complained on the forum. Members were told "there's so many cars out there, the forum magnifies the issue because people only report problems". Guess what? Ford found a major design flaw in the head gasket and issued a recall. In some cases, the blocks are also replaced. All of that came after they denied warranty to hundreds of individuals due to them having mods on their cars.

Just turning a blind eye to what is obviously a problem isn't automatically gonna make it ok. If you're trying to post it to make yourself feel better, go ahead and keep your head buried.
I never suggested there wasn't an issue with some of these cars. But I am suggesting there isn't a large enough sample to make assumptions for this particular issue. All cars and designs have quirks. Some are harmful while others are an annoyance. The focus RS issue was if I'm not mistaken because Ford used the ecoboost mustang head gaskets in the RS blocks due to a production error. They are not the same.

But those that didn't mod their cars got their engines repaired to replaced. Had they waited 36k the majority of them would have been in a much better position. The reality is the manufacturer doesnt know the long term impact of modifying the car so one cannot assume in many cases it doesnt have an impact. You would be surprised at how the smallest changes can have the greatest consequences.

In the end you do what you want, but ill stand by what I suggested. Cooler heads and waiting a while to do any engine mods is the wiser path as defects like that will show their ugly heads sooner rather than later in most cases.

Look at those who did have issues with their 5.0 and it was stock...if there was a major issue like the cylinder wall scoring or spun bearing they were warranty replacements on Ford's dime. Had they modded it would have likely been denied. It also showed up well under 36k which is where the majority catastrophic failures due to critical manufacturing defects manifest themselves.

If the 5.0 is so problematic and ford is such a scrappy company go buy a Camaro or Honda or BMW...

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I never suggested there wasn't an issue with some of these cars. But I am suggesting there isn't a large enough sample to make assumptions for this particular issue. All cars and designs have quirks. Some are harmful while others are an annoyance. The focus RS issue was if I'm not mistaken because Ford used the ecoboost mustang head gaskets in the RS blocks due to a production error. They are not the same.

But those that didn't mod their cars got their engines repaired to replaced. Had they waited 36k the majority of them would have been in a much better position. The reality is the manufacturer doesnt know the long term impact of modifying the car so one cannot assume in many cases it doesnt have an impact. You would be surprised at how the smallest changes can have the greatest consequences.

In the end you do want you want, but ill stand by what I suggested. Cooler heads and waiting a while to do any engine mods is the wiser path as defects like that will show their ugly heads sooner rather than later in most cases.

Look at those who did have issues with their 5.0 and it was stock...if there was a major issue like the cylinder wall scoring or spun bearing they were warranty replacements on Ford's dime. Had they modded it would have likely been denied. It also showed up well under 36k which is where most catastrophic failures manifest.

If the 5.0 is so problematic and ford is such a scrappy company go buy a Camaro or Honda or BMW...
I got the tick after my first oil change. I thought it was the exhaust. I crawled under the car to see what I could find. I then got a JLT intake and an SCT tuner. Found some crazy knock 6+ at WOT and ~2 half throttle. Once again I crawled under to see if I could find any metal to metal contact. The crazy part was that the knock sensor seemed to be in tune with that sound. Even at light throttle knock would go up when I heard that sound.

Brought it to the dealer for this and unrelated paint issues, the tech immediately heard it. Then they call and tell me it's not reproduceable. Anyways, long story short, they went from repainting my trunk to repainting my entire rear end due to the dealer fuckup. Then they had to re-do their work 4 times due to runs and solvent pop. I then traded that nightmare in for a charger scat pack. Dodge has been great so far, but it's still an American company and it worries me, but I can't stop driving V8s now that I've felt their awesomeness.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't ignore this problem. If you have the tick, you need to figure out what the heck is causing it before the engine warranty is up.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
This is why I won’t let a dealer anywhere near my car

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
This is why I won’t let a dealer anywhere near my car
Unless her name is Tesla, every car's first boyfriend is some dealer.
Sponsored