Sponsored

8" Android Head Unit Review

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got to say after dealing my mom's 2018 Lexus Enform system all weekend, this unit is a helluva lot more responsive overall. No lag between each button press on the keyboard or between each screen.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
While I've been tinkering around with it, I managed to disable the HVAC Pop-Up display completely, and it's SO much nicer. With that said, here's why it bothers me...

When you turn your rear defrost on, it pops up. When your defrost shuts off on it's own after 10-15 minutes- It pops up. Adjust fan speed, it pops up. Also, my car is one of the ones that is plagued by the random change in fan velocity in the HVAC system, and that would cause it to pop up too. SO relieved.

Now I'm just trying to unlock the bootloader, so I can root it!
interesting you mention that, as ive noticed mine does that since the ac evap was replaced. I didnt realize it was a thing lol. glad the notification can be turned off!

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'm struggling to find a way to unlock the bootloader and root.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
just curious for what purpose exactly?

Because I have a bad habit of not leaving shit alone. ;)

If I can root it, I can rewrite the existing apps, and make tons of changes, like several people did with the Tesla Unit in the beginning.

Paniolo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vern
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Ruby Red w/ Black Roof
You mentioned that the boot logo can be changed easily. Are animations acceptable or does it allow images only? I'd kind of like to keep my GT350 ford Performance splash.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You mentioned that the boot logo can be changed easily. Are animations acceptable or does it allow images only? I'd kind of like to keep my GT350 ford Performance splash.

The logo can be changed (as a static image.) Changing it to an animation would require root access.

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
The logo can be changed (as a static image.) Changing it to an animation would require root access.
once the holidays are over in china, do you know if they need time to develop and make revisions to the unit? or are we just waiting for production and shipment?

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
once the holidays are over in china, do you know if they need time to develop and make revisions to the unit? or are we just waiting for production and shipment?

From what I understood, they resume operations in China at the end of the month, and he said he had a few changes for them to make to the hardware to facilitate installation, and they should be ready to start making the Beta Units around the first week of March.

Sponsored

17again

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
...they should be ready to start making the Beta Units around the first week of March.
Ready to beta with a base GT that needs a proper head unit.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ready to beta with a base GT that needs a proper head unit.
Yeah, as long as people keep in mind, it's supposed to be an improvement over stock, (which it definitely is, especially playing with DashCommand yesterday.) I think the problem will arise when people want it to be a supercomputer that applies tunes, modifies as-built data, enables the Drive-Modes, makes them coffee, and gives road head on top of everything it already does.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Just play good clean music and nav and I'm good.

Paniolo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vern
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Ruby Red w/ Black Roof
Thanks for the response. I can live with the static image, was just a bit too optimistic that it would / could provide animation out of the box.

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
From what I understood, they resume operations in China at the end of the month, and he said he had a few changes for them to make to the hardware to facilitate installation, and they should be ready to start making the Beta Units around the first week of March.
So we will be getting units at our doors probably end of March early April. Sounds good!
Sponsored