Sponsored

R.I.P. HR414....sad story

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Hey all,

Have delayed making this post about as long as I possibly can...and even now my heart is quite heavy about the car. Glad to be alive and well, still sad about the car.

On Mar 4th I was in a freak accident where a large gust of wind blew debris under my rear tires....the entire rear end went sideways at ~60mph on a backroad here in N. Va. No traction control lights, no Sport mode nannies, just me sliding sideways with the front half of the car in the oncoming lane and rear in my own lane. There was not much time to anything but I did have the presence of mind not to hit the brakes (which I believe would have started a barrel roll of sorts). Rather I cut the wheel back toward the center of the road and hit the gas slightly to try to get the tires to hook and throw me back the "right" direction. They eventually did hook but after further rotation and the net result was I got slingshot into a tree on the opposite shoulder at ~65mph. Pics are below of the car.

I was unconscious and taken via ambulance to the nearest trauma center. Fortunately I came out of this with a broken ulna and somewhat severe sublaxation of my right wrist (bone had popped out of joint completely) from the back of my hand hitting the windshield and the front of my forearm (ulna) rebounding into I am guessing the steering wheel. Met a great doc who patched me up, spent 6wks in a cast without much use of my right hand and just started typing again this week. Was pretty surreal walking out of the ER that night, this is one SAFE vehicle fellas. Props to the engineers at Ford...they saved my life.

Huge thanks to this community for the support and information throughout my 10mos of ownership. I will never forget this car or this group of enthusiasts that drive them. I will make a separate post to try to recoup some of the money spent on spare parts, tires, etc to help pay medical bills. Will price fairly and as-is, just looking to put this chapter in the rear view.
IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2454.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow, glad you are ok. The car can always be replaced

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
To say the least, you were very fortunate you were not killed. Glad to hear you are recovering well and that the car was able to keep you from sustaining more serious injuries. Props to FORD engineering!

I hope you will someday be able to get another gt350!:cheers:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Geezus dude, glad you are ok and sorry to hear about this. Even an R can be replaced though and just be happy you’ll be around to have that chance.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Holy fucking Jesus. Glad you made it out alive, it's not often that I get goosebumps just looking at pictures. You had the best looking Mag Grey R on the site. Better the car than you. Hope you return back to normal soon!

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Damn! I am really glad you made it relatively ok out of this! Have a speedy complete recovery!

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Props to FORD engineering!
I hope you will someday be able to get another gt350!:cheers:

You betcha to FORD engineering :cheers::ford:

And I sincerely hope so...wife has banned it for now. Maybe in time, with good behavior, etc :D

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Wow, that was a hard hit to say the least and I could only imagine the possible consequences had you come in contact with some oncoming traffic as that could have been fatal for not only yourself but possibly for any oncoming traffic as well.

It looks as though this unfortunate incident took place 11 weeks ago tomorrow and would suggest from both a physical and mental standpoint these last couple of months has not been easy for you and your family but it sounds like that you are making great progress in both areas.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for posting your story/pictures as I would think that it was probably not very easy to post as I had a similar situation happen to me in November 2009 involving a brand new GT500.

Best wishes on your continued recovery and hope that going forward you will stay part of our forum and who knows might be another GT350/R owner once again.

:cheers:

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Truly an amazing crash with minimal injuries, although significant ones. You were extremely lucky, hopefully the insurance does you justice, for car and injury.
Physical therapy is not fun!
Glad u survived and are on the mend.
Nice evasive maneuver minimizing other serious injuries.
Hopefully another R in your future!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Glad you're OK - I can't even find the engine in those pics.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I am amazed that you were able to walk later that day after seeing those pics. I am glad for you and your family you're on the mend. You had a beautiful car.

Damn, "a huge gust of wind.." There but for the grace of _____ goes all of us.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
They make a new mustang every 30 seconds.

Insurance is a good thing.

Nice you're all good now.
Sponsored