Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
mine is a ton better with the new tune however there is still some surging at mid throttle around 0 vacuum to 3 or 5 PSI boost. Some of it , mainly when close to 0 boost, would be an issue with the vacuum controlled bypass valve and in talking with Whipple I was told "they would love to have an electronic valve solution like on marine engines" but dont have it for us yet. the positive boost surging is 100% in the tune IMHO.
Sponsored

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I just got home from being away from work. I turned the knock limiting off and everything is PERFECT! I have ZERO hesitation now!:clap2: At low RPM, full throttle pull I'm seeing 1 degree of knock then starts going into negative. That 1 degree was obviously shutting my throttle and causing my hesitation with the knock limiting. The car drives COMPLETELY stock, besides the new exhaust tone it now has with the crackling and popping:headbang: then becomes a complete animals once you step on the gas. From my experience, excellent job Whipple on the calibration!
How do you do this? Is it only on the gt? I have a GT350.

Thanks

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
How do you do this? Is it only on the gt? I have a GT350.

Thanks
Hey, yeah I have a GT with the whipple calibration. With that comes the flare software. You just turn off knock limiting in that program. It actually fixed 98% of my problem but I still has slight hesitation under load at low rpm (2200 - 3200rpm) small adjustment to the tune and it was all fixed.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Hey, yeah I have a GT with the whipple calibration. With that comes the flare software. You just turn off knock limiting in that program. It actually fixed 98% of my problem but I still has slight hesitation under load at low rpm (2200 - 3200rpm) small adjustment to the tune and it was all fixed.
What adjustment and did you use HP Tuners?

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
so as an FYI I turned of Injector DC Limiting today and the mid throttle surge is about 80% better and defiantly livable now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
so as an FYI I turned of Injector DC Limiting today and the mid throttle surge is about 80% better and defiantly livable now.
Problem is it won't stay that way... My car was great for a few days after doing the same and then the issue slowly came back... It's like if you change anything, it get's better then slowly come back. My new MAF did same. Then issue slowly came back. It's as if whatever the PCM learns is causing this.

I can't keep going on like this. Whipple hasn't followed up in weeks. If I could find out why this happens, then I could get some sense of reassurance that a custom tune can fix it if Whipple can't. My timing is jumping all around again just like in the plot I posted a few back...

John

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is it won't stay that way... My car was great for a few days after doing the same and then the issue slowly came back... It's like if you change anything, it get's better then slowly come back. My new MAF did same. Then issue slowly came back. It's as if whatever the PCM learns is causing this.

I can't keep going on like this. Whipple hasn't followed up in weeks. If I could find out why this happens, then I could get some sense of reassurance that a custom tune can fix it if Whipple can't. My timing is jumping all around again just like in the plot I posted a few back...

John
You've suffered long enough. I'd reach out to Lund and get this squared away ASAP. They just did my car and a couple other guys I speak with....all stock like driveability.

At the very least you can explain to them what you've been dealing with and gauge there confidence in getting it fix.

If you car does need a little something different you won't get it from Whipple. Gotta go custom.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
You've suffered long enough. I'd reach out to Lund and get this squared away ASAP. They just did my car and a couple other guys I speak with....all stock like driveability.

At the very least you can explain to them what you've been dealing with and gauge there confidence in getting it fix.

If you car does need a little something different you won't get it from Whipple. Gotta go custom.
You're right and I am looking into custom tunes. Can't decide between Lund or PBD. IN any case, I want to understand why my car behaves like it does to make sure any new tune I get isn't making an underlying problem.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
You're right and I am looking into custom tunes. Can't decide between Lund or PBD. IN any case, I want to understand why my car behaves like it does to make sure any new tune I get isn't making an underlying problem.
If you have HP tuners I can send you a copy of my tune. Its the stock stage 2 gen 2 whipple tune with some driveability tweaks and rear 02 sensors disabled for no cats.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
If you have HP tuners I can send you a copy of my tune. Its the stock stage 2 gen 2 whipple tune with some driveability tweaks and rear 02 sensors disabled for no cats.
PM Sent

Sponsored

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Hit up Sai Li. He's great. It just seems weird that you are having all these issues. Statistically you are the outlier in the group.

John

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I guess I’m an outlier too. I really wonder about the injectors I mean it would make sense that some have it and some don’t like maybe there was a bad batch from DW where they didn’t flow match them correctly.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I thought the only thing the ecu would learn is trims, but maybe someone else knows more. Have you had the O2's checked or replaced? they are cheap.

Just had the second exhaust leak fixed on my GT350. Both were super small, but were enough to throw off my fuel delivery. I'm just really glad my dealer listened to me and the tech reviewed my trim and drivability data as they were not super obvious. It was only by watching the trim behavior change as the flex pipe warmed up and moved around while driving you could see how the STFT would spike between large plus and minus values at the same speed / torque request point.

John

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Before you do that ask each of those shops if they are writing calibrations with the stock N/A operating system or Ford's SC OS. I use the Whipple Stage 2 cal with adjustments made by me via HP Tuners. Since fixing the TB magnet issue and adjusting for the 1050x injectors I have 0 issues except a rich mixture up top that I will fix on the dyno during July shutdown. If you get a copy of a Whipple file for use with HP Tuners or nGauge software from someone, make sure it is the same year as your car.
Sponsored