Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I said from the start of this thread, it's not the calibration.

You can put the whipple calibration on and treat it like you got the car new from a dealer. Any drive ability problems will certainly be faulty hardware related.

Now you are saying aftermarket calibrations are bad. Stop blaming the ECU and find/ fix the problem with your car. If you can't do it your self find a shop that can.

I've now had the whipple tune, a PBD tune, a Lund tune, and my own HPT tune. I've also gone from a stage one to a stage two setup. None of these have had any drive ability problems. Granted the pedal feels different in all of them, and the transmission acts totally different in all of them. There has been no surging, bucking, hesitation at any time partial throttle.
Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
My Whipple Stage 2 Tune drives like stock and is perfect until I go wide open throttle and my mustang turns into a beast with no traction.LOL

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Stick or auto?
Complete Whipple Stage 2 Kit installed on 2017 Mustang with auto trans.
Only issue is traction and I am going to fix that with a set of Weld Racing Wheels 17x10 and a pair of Mickey Thompson 305/45/17 ET Street R Tires.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I said from the start of this thread, it's not the calibration.

You can put the whipple calibration on and treat it like you got the car new from a dealer. Any drive ability problems will certainly be faulty hardware related.

Now you are saying aftermarket calibrations are bad. Stop blaming the ECU and find/ fix the problem with your car. If you can't do it your self find a shop that can.

I've now had the whipple tune, a PBD tune, a Lund tune, and my own HPT tune. I've also gone from a stage one to a stage two setup. None of these have had any drive ability problems. Granted the pedal feels different in all of them, and the transmission acts totally different in all of them. There has been no surging, bucking, hesitation at any time partial throttle.
Not sure if this directed at me but I never said once that aftermarket calibrations are bad. I'm saying that I'm having some bad luck with my personal experiences. I don't believe I have any issues with my car. If I had a mechnical issue with my car causing these issues then wouldn't those issues be present within all the tunes? Why does each tune have a different issue? Whipple idled, started perfect but hesitation under heavy load, another tune no hesitation but bad start, idle, another tune idle lope with the A/C on, something that both other tunes didn't experience. I'm glad to hear you have had great experiences with your tunes but I personally am having a bit of a struggle but the current tuner I'm working with almost has the A/C idle thing worked out and hopefully he do then this tune will be perfect!

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The issue only exists with manuals and not all of them. Ever heard of an auto with the hesitation problem.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I just finished with Lund. I'm going back to the Whipple tune and will tweak using HP Tuners.

What Alex at Lund came up with fixes the Whipple tune issues and runs like a beast at WOT. But the Lund tune adds a whole set of new issues: LT trims -16 to -18%, bad surging/bucking at 3000 RPM, and will not run any of the I/M Monitor tests I need for emissions inspection. But, apart from the bucking, the part throttle driveability is better.

They are very inflexible about fixing this almost to the point of arrogance. I state my issues with the tune and it's like they only read the first line and spit off a reply that doesn't address my issues at all. As far as being a custom tune, they just tweak something that worked on other cars.

This is totally different than my first experience with Lund when my car was NA. Their NA flex fuel tune was excellent!
Alex F. is a moron. Open a new case it will go to John Nardi and let him know what's up, and request another tuner to look at it.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Complete Whipple Stage 2 Kit installed on 2017 Mustang with auto trans.
Only issue is traction and I am going to fix that with a set of Weld Racing Wheels 17x10 and a pair of Mickey Thompson 305/45/17 ET Street R Tires.
I think that’s the difference in locenit and hate it. The auto will downshift sooner when loadnis adder so you may not feel the same things as us.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
I'm the OP. After much effort starting with Whipple, then Lund without a resolution, I bought HP Tuners, the Coyote Cookbook tuning guide, and took a tuning course. There was a lot to learn about how the PCM works in the s550, and I still have more to learn. In any case, I believe I have found the cause of the stumbling/surging weirdness and have fixed it.

I noticed first that my timing was rapidly jumping back and forth about 4 degrees whenever the car was stumbling. To those with some HP Tuner's experience, my "Spark Source" was jumping between "Borderline" and "Torque Control" modes. In general, torque control mode is pulling timing. The trick was to find out why it was happening. After reading many forum posts and endless hours of research, I found that the manual transmission cars have something called "Anti-Shuffle logic." I have not seen any information as to exactly what this does, but the consensus is that turning it off is kind of a cure-all for a bunch of strange behaviors folks have with their specific tunes.

I turned it off, and voila, my timing ain't jumping around any more.

The tune I am running is based off Whipple's "v7" tune with PE coming in sooner than 90% throttle. I have also made a bunch of other tweaks here and there, including tailoring my accelerator pedal feel and throttle response to be exactly how I want it.

The moral of the story always ends up the same for me. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

PM me if you want my tune file....

John

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm the OP. After much effort starting with Whipple, then Lund without a resolution, I bought HP Tuners, the Coyote Cookbook tuning guide, and took a tuning course. There was a lot to learn about how the PCM works in the s550, and I still have more to learn. In any case, I believe I have found the cause of the stumbling/surging weirdness and have fixed it.

I noticed first that my timing was rapidly jumping back and forth about 4 degrees whenever the car was stumbling. To those with some HP Tuner's experience, my "Spark Source" was jumping between "Borderline" and "Torque Control" modes. In general, torque control mode is pulling timing. The trick was to find out why it was happening. After reading many forum posts and endless hours of research, I found that the manual transmission cars have something called "Anti-Shuffle logic." I have not seen any information as to exactly what this does, but the consensus is that turning it off is kind of a cure-all for a bunch of strange behaviors folks have with their specific tunes.

I turned it off, and voila, my timing ain't jumping around any more.

The tune I am running is based off Whipple's "v7" tune with PE coming in sooner than 90% throttle. I have also made a bunch of other tweaks here and there, including tailoring my accelerator pedal feel and throttle response to be exactly how I want it.

The moral of the story always ends up the same for me. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

PM me if you want my tune file....

John
Was your throttle response poor on the Lund tune?

Sponsored
OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. Very.
Having the same issue myself.
Tuner thinks it’s fine...
Would half a second or more sound far off the mark?
Eg. Boot it, wait for throttle.........then go?
Hint: it’s NOT fine. It takes all the fun out of owning a PD blower :frusty:
Edit: Tuner was right. All in the settings. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24062]jgedde[/MENTION]
How did you alter your throttle response?
I assume you’re talking specifically about the relationship between pedal and ETC_ACT

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)