6thGen Camaro Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Do you remember the 1984-2007 Challenger or the 2003 -2009 Camaro?
Because that's what happens when a car doesn't sell.
The Chally is on life support right now, the reason it's still on that ancient platform is that FIAT/Chrysler is so f'ed up right now they cant even make a decision to kill it (again) or not. The sales volume doesn't support investing in a new one and as long as some people are willing to buy enough of them to break even, it's doing better than the rest of the company.
The union and the assembly plant killed the Camaro. The Mustang was more popular, but there was enough demand for the Camaro that they could've kept it alive. Once the unions started striking at the production plants in '96, then assembly plant for the Camaro in '97 (the year the SS started finally being fully built in the Canadian plant), the sales numbers tanked hard. The union at the Sainte-Therese assembly plant wanted so much that GM canned it, way over capacity.

FIAT/Chrysler is a nightmare, which is a shame. I really like the concept of the Challenger, that's what I call American Muscle. It's even more true today. It's so fat.
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The union and the assembly plant killed the Camaro. The Mustang was more popular, but there was enough demand for the Camaro that they could've kept it alive. Once the unions started striking at the production plants in '96, then assembly plant for the Camaro in '97 (the year the SS started finally being fully built in the Canadian plant), the sales numbers tanked hard. The union at the Sainte-Therese assembly plant wanted so much that GM canned it, way over capacity.

FIAT/Chrysler is a nightmare, which is a shame. I really like the concept of the Challenger, that's what I call American Muscle. It's even more true today. It's so fat.
Agreed but earlier you said sales were pointless, but when it all comes down to it, the people at a car company need to eat, pay mortgages and make sure the CEO can afford a new plane every year. The only way they are going to do that is by selling cars.

I guarantee you that if the 4th Gen Camaro was selling anywhere near Mustang numbers in 2002, they would not have stopped production.

Arguably, sales are the most important way to measure a car's success. Saying sales don't matter is as shortsighted as taking a nap on the railroad track because you don't see a train.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Agreed but earlier you said sales were pointless, but when it all comes down to it, the people at a car company need to eat, pay mortgages and make sure the CEO can afford a new plane every year. The only way they are going to do that is by selling cars.

I guarantee you that if the 4th Gen Camaro was selling anywhere near Mustang numbers in 2002, they would not have stopped production.

Arguably, sales are the most important way to measure a cars success. Saying sales don't matter is as shortsighted as taking a nap on the railroad track because you don't see a train.
True, but saying that the Camaro went away due to low demand isn't true, it was low sales because of lovely union strikes. I see people mixing those up. Nowadays, we're seeing the demand of each vehicle in the sales number more clearly. Until the Camaro dips down well below the Challenger numbers, I don't see them getting rid of it. I also don't see that happening, especially since the SS was still alive for so long with horrid sales (being discontinued finally in 2017 I believe).

I don't understand why people like to take pride in sales numbers I guess. The moneymakers aren't the muscle cars in the US anyways, the 122k that the Mustang sold (and the profit margin on them) aren't anywhere NEAR the amount of money made by the F series trucks. Until you see sales of the car dipping below 50k, there's nothing to worry about. Chevy still sold 77k last year, and that's with the new hot Mustang and the surprisingly (relatively) successful Challenger.

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Well after over 700 miles, I know I made the right choice for me. I can easily get 30 mpg. The torque is awesome and the A8 is no joke. All the tech is just so fun to play with and the DIC in between the tach and speedometer is very cool and customizable.
How about the dic between the seat and the steering wheel? :)

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase

Arguably, sales are the most important way to measure a car's success. Saying sales don't matter is as shortsighted as taking a nap on the railroad track because you don't see a train.
It's all about the margin. If sales on the 4thGen Camaro had been more robust, meeting Union demands would have been a no-brainer. Fact remains, GM did not see a ROI on continuing with the Camaro. The only people left buying them in the 2000's were drag racers, street racers and nameplate diehards.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Can't we both agree that both GM and Ford hit a mutha fu**ing grand slam. I mean come on guys. Both cars are brand spanking new platforms. Both cars compete or beat some of Europe's finest for half the cost. Both cars look great. This is seriously the best time to be a car guy/gal. 0-60 in the 3s, 1/4 mile times in the low 12s, high 11s out of the showroom? Freaking amazing!!!!!!:cheers::cheers:
Not really. If the Camaro were about $4k cheaper, now that would be a grand slam - even with the body looking almost the same as the previous generation. Considering the price - no, not a grand slam.

I think Ford hit a grand slam, though. They did a huge redesign and added IRS and were able to keep the price significantly less than Camaro. I thought the price would jump and then I might have to jump ship as well.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Not really. If the Camaro were about $4k cheaper, now that would be a grand slam - even with the body looking almost the same as the previous generation. Considering the price - no, not a grand slam.

I think Ford hit a grand slam, though. They did a huge redesign and added IRS and were able to keep the price significantly less than Camaro. I thought the price would jump and then I might have to jump ship as well.
Ok, well obviously your fan boyism is blinding you. If you cannot see that a $39k car that has ran 11s and sub 4s to 60 is a grand slam, you cannot be reached. Enjoy your mustang, its a grand slam.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Ok, well obviously your fan boyism is blinding you. If you cannot see that a $39k car that has ran 11s and sub 3s to 60 is a grand slam, you cannot be reached. Enjoy your mustang, its a grand slam.
I think you meant sub 4's to 60mph...right?

I know the 6th gen is fast stock...but sub 3 seconds is GTR territory :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.