6thGen Camaro Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
For the average non enthusiast buyer I think the Camaro will have a hard time. My wife (non enthusiast) and I have look at both and one of the first things she said was she can't see much out of it and would feel uncomfortable driving it, but the Mustang was fine for her. Now turn her into several thousand average buyer and they will buy what feel comfortable to drive.
The last kill would be price, GT premium $37k (average buyer could honestly care less about PP) vs $42k 2SS and I believe the gap between invoice and msrp is larger on the mustang which helps in negotiating price.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Well there was an estimated 90K unit loss with the plant update ate Rouge.

I know for a fact. It is the best truck on the market, I have seen the competitive analysis from a non Ford source.
I think it's hard to say one truck is the best in the market. It's going to depend on who is the buyer. No doubt it's popular. No doubt it's a great truck. Also, how is there a 90k loss in sales for an update at the plant. There are literally tons of new trucks still for sale.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
For the average non enthusiast buyer I think the Camaro will have a hard time. My wife (non enthusiast) and I have look at both and one of the first things she said was she can't see much out of it and would feel uncomfortable driving it, but the Mustang was fine for her. Now turn her into several thousand average buyer and they will buy what feel comfortable to drive.
The last kill would be price, GT premium $37k (average buyer could honestly care less about PP) vs $42k 2SS and I believe the gap between invoice and msrp is larger on the mustang which helps in negotiating price.
These are the two points that I think are the two that could hurt the most.

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I stopped at Pulte Chevrolet in Lebanon, OH this morning to look at the 2016 Camaro. They had 3 $42K+ SS's on the lot. I wasn't impressed with the looks from internet pictures and videos and I'm even more unimpressed seeing it in person. Other than the huge gawdy lower front grill, the outside is better in person but the interior is cramped, ugly, and still cheap looking. I'm 6' with short spiky hair cut and I could feel my hair rubbing on the headliner. The big square in the center of the dash along with the instrument cluster didn't flow and just looked really awkward. And the dash, controls, doors, the entire interior was just cheap plastic like usual. And what's the deal with the Camaros doors weighing so fckn much? The salesman started it up and yeah it sounded absolutely amazing! I'm no Ford fanboy, my S550 is the first Mustang I've owned since my first car at 16 was a '78 Mustang II Fastback, and I actually wanted a Camaro when the 5G was just a prototype. But after test driving a new one back in '12 I was extremely disappointed and lost all desire to own one. And this new Camaro didn't change that. The salesman said there's been a lot of people (mostly Mustang owners) come out and look at the new Camaro but have yet to sell one.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are the two points that I think are the two that could hurt the most.
I'm looking at buying one or the other and these are my biggest draw backs right now, other than that I like them both.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I'm looking at buying one or the other and these are my biggest draw backs right now, other than that I like them both.
Well after over 700 miles, I know I made the right choice for me. I can easily get 30 mpg. The torque is awesome and the A8 is no joke. All the tech is just so fun to play with and the DIC in between the tach and speedometer is very cool and customizable.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I stopped at Pulte Chevrolet in Lebanon, OH this morning to look at the 2016 Camaro. They had 3 $42K+ SS's on the lot. I wasn't impressed with the looks from internet pictures and videos and I'm even more unimpressed seeing it in person. Other than the huge gawdy lower front grill, the outside is better in person but the interior is cramped, ugly, and still cheap looking. I'm 6' with short spiky hair cut and I could feel my hair rubbing on the headliner. The big square in the center of the dash along with the instrument cluster didn't flow and just looked really awkward. And the dash, controls, doors, the entire interior was just cheap plastic like usual. And what's the deal with the Camaros doors weighing so fckn much? The salesman started it up and yeah it sounded absolutely amazing! I'm no Ford fanboy, my S550 is the first Mustang I've owned since my first car at 16 was a '78 Mustang II Fastback, and I actually wanted a Camaro when the 5G was just a prototype. But after test driving a new one back in '12 I was extremely disappointed and lost all desire to own one. And this new Camaro didn't change that. The salesman said there's been a lot of people (mostly Mustang owners) come out and look at the new Camaro but have yet to sell one.
I thougt the Camaro plastic was nice other than the shiny plastic on the center console. The mustang also has it on the center console and upper doors which I think both brands could spend a little extra to get rid of.

The few dealers that have had Camaros for several weeks still have the same ones on there lot which seems like a bad sign, we will see when summer rolls around.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I thougt the Camaro plastic was nice other than the shiny plastic on the center console. The mustang also has it on the center console and upper doors which I think both brands could spend a little extra to get rid of.

The few dealers that have had Camaros for several weeks still have the same ones on there lot which seems like a bad sign, we will see when summer rolls around.
There is a dealer close to me with 12 new S550s. Next door the Chevy dealership has yet to get a 6th gen in.

Also both cars are going to have cheap parts. They're both mid 20k dollar cars to begin with haha.

Arrowsigns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadi-Mustang-Silvarado-
Still waiting to see the new Camaro in So Cal. The Camaro's that have arrived were customer ordered cars.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think it's hard to say one truck is the best in the market. It's going to depend on who is the buyer. No doubt it's popular. No doubt it's a great truck. Also, how is there a 90k loss in sales for an update at the plant. There are literally tons of new trucks still for sale.
Yes and no.

Both the Silverado and Ram are essentially ten years old.

The F150 is the only new truck, though it is an evolution of steel bodied truck. It well out performs both in reliability and durability comparisons done by a major oem. The corrosion on the Silverado frame was something else.

The down time to completely overall the plant was notable when tooling up for aluminum, Ford estimated a 90k unit loss in during that downtime. Not hard to see especial when the F150 is the sales leader in it's segment.

Sponsored

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still waiting to see the new Camaro in So Cal. The Camaro's that have arrived were customer ordered cars.
Here in the Seattle area only a few dealers have Camaros and the ones that do only have one or two. Apparently there was a huge quality control hold and I can see why because owners (like ZaneWayne) love there 8spd autos but the one I drove had shifting issues.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well after over 700 miles, I know I made the right choice for me. I can easily get 30 mpg. The torque is awesome and the A8 is no joke. All the tech is just so fun to play with and the DIC in between the tach and speedometer is very cool and customizable.
Congratulations on the car. I'm a fan of the 2016 and think it looks good and performs great.

I like the Mustang a bit more (especially the GT350 at its price point - but I'm a forced induction guy), but the Camaro is very close. GM got a lot right with this car.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Was doing some build and pricing on the I4ts of both cars,
The "Ecoduke" Camaro (EDC for short)until someone comes up with something better is the cheapest entry level Camaro, while the Ecoboost Mustang (EBM) is the mid level trim.
I built a 2016 0n each website exactly how I ordered my, EBM , 0 options.

The result was the EDC was $150 more than the EBM and doesn't even come with HID.

This is really bad for the Camaro that is supposed to compete with the V6 on price.

A base V6 Camaro is getting into EBM premium price
Ecoboost vs Ecoduke.jpg

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I will preface this by saying I am a Mustang die hard. I want to like the 6th Gen, but I just don't. I love the fact there is another turbo RWD platform on the market and this one can actually be built with all of the options I want. If the Mustang could be ordered with a sunroof it would be perfect. I do not know why this option is so important to me but it is, along with the cooled seating. I think I could get over the exterior looks but the I could not do the interior styling, and on top of that the 2.0T comes out to just under $40k optioned the way I want. I just don't see how this will be competitive considering it is the base model. I understand I loaded it up pretty well, but so is my EB that comes out to $34k. I feel like this is the 4th Gen all over again and that didn't end well for GM last time.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I will preface this by saying I am a Mustang die hard. I want to like the 6th Gen, but I just don't. I love the fact there is another turbo RWD platform on the market and this one can actually be built with all of the options I want. If the Mustang could be ordered with a sunroof it would be perfect. I do not know why this option is so important to me but it is, along with the cooled seating. I think I could get over the exterior looks but the I could not do the interior styling, and on top of that the 2.0T comes out to just under $40k optioned the way I want. I just don't see how this will be competitive considering it is the base model. I understand I loaded it up pretty well, but so is my EB that comes out to $34k. I feel like this is the 4th Gen all over again and that didn't end well for GM last time.
What did you get on the 2.0 to put it right at 40K?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.