Sponsored

6-speed manual owners; is your engine braking delayed?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You can go all the way back to the early 70's and find dash pots on the throttles of carburated engines to slow down closing for emissions purposes.

My Ecoboost delays the throttle closing for a split second but in no way delays engine braking on a down shift.
Sponsored

Tofino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT stick.
It delays the revs dropping for a second as your shifting yes.
But it doesn't delay engine braking.
By the time I downshift and let the clutch back out the revs are down, and you can feel engine braking the instant the clutch is engaged again.

Last edited:

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
It delays the revs dropping for a second as your shifting yes.
But it doesn't delay engine braking.
By the time I downshift and let the cltch back out the revs are down, and you can feel engine braking the instant the clutch is engaged again.
yes.

BUT, if you, let's say, go from 2k-6k in 2nd full throttle then let off throttle completely, the engine stays at 6k for a few seconds. It's to save fuel.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
It is rev hang and it's there for 2 reasons. 1st for emissions and 2nd to avoid dropping below the set idle speed and causing a stall when you let off. It can be controlled in the tune, but if you reduce the hang time you could have stall issues especially if your maf or throttle body begin to get dirty.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I never use engine braking. Brake pads are cheaper in the long run.

magnus_1986

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamal
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A 6M TY
So at first I was like, what's this guy talking about and then I went out and did some trial runs in 1st and 2nd gear.

Yep it's delayed. By about a second or so. I'm pretty sure all of the cars I've owned till now (all manuals) have had this and the Subaru had the rev hang.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah guys, this is different than rev hang, which is between shifts with the clutch in. This delay occurs immediately after you rev-match downshift. You'll feel a delay in engine braking reverse torque for about 1 second. The revs will still be up, but the engine is still being fueled briefly as compensation against change-of-mind (i.e. I downshift to immediately get on the gas to pass someone, you will get better response by keeping the combustion going lightly).

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
Notta... I generally always rev match but even without it seems ok. Actually seems to slow down too quick sometimes and I have to ride that gear for a few seconds longer.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Somewhere I read an account of a conversation with a Ford engineer who said that this behavior was needed to meet an emissions requirement, to avoid letting unburnt fuel into the exhaust system.
yes. it's part of the tune.

Yep. Forget downshifting, just accelerate in a gear then let off the throttle without doing anything else. You will feel the delay before engine braking takes effect. Either the throttle is being held open slightly or cam timing is adjusted to reduce compression momentarily. Aftermarket tune is a great fix.

Tofino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT stick.
yes.

BUT, if you, let's say, go from 2k-6k in 2nd full throttle then let off throttle completely, the engine stays at 6k for a few seconds. It's to save fuel.
If yours is doing it for seconds, it lasts a lot longer than mine.
My gf tried to time it with a stop watch and its less than 1 second in my car.
Sponsored