Not open for further replies.

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
2015 - Ecoboost Premium - 6mt - Deep Impact
We are looking to throw a rod today boys! 500whp or bust...

Silly question perhaps...

Do the rods weaken over time or do they typically break when stressed plain and simply. At 500-550whp, the Rods may switch to a room with view quickly, but would they eventually tire at 400whp then go? Is this still controlled by how the torque is delivered or does it just go splat regardless at some point?
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Silly question perhaps...

Do the rods weaken over time or do they typically break when stressed plain and simply. At 500-550whp, the Rods may switch to a room with view quickly, but would they eventually tire at 400whp then go? Is this still controlled by how the torque is delivered or does it just go splat regardless at some point?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_modulus

So, basically there is a window where the material can take the load, without an issue. Any material change has the capacity to be reversed, until a certain point. See this graph:

After that elastic limit, the material can't go back, and that's when damage occurs up to the moment of breaking. The difference between the yield point and breaking point changes depending on the material. Seeing as these rods are a type of forged metal, this leads to something with low ductility and high strength. Low ductility leads to a shorter distance between yield point and breaking point, so when it goes, it will go pretty quickly.

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
2015 - Ecoboost Premium - 6mt - Deep Impact

So, basically there is a window where the material can take the load, without an issue. Any material change has the capacity to be reversed, until a certain point. See this graph:

After that elastic limit, the material can't go back, and that's when damage occurs up to the moment of breaking. The difference between the yield point and breaking point changes depending on the material. Seeing as these rods are a type of forged metal, this leads to something with low ductility and high strength. Low ductility leads to a shorter distance between yield point and breaking point, so when it goes, it will go pretty quickly.
That is really good info! Thank you.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package

I'll have to add you to my payroll soon it looks, answering before I even have a chance!

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
So if you hit the goal, you gonna keep it there for a while and entertain us w/ some street vids?

I take it your proprietary fueling solution is up and running?
I've already asked him for dyno videos of the pulls lol.

Brandon15ECO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Black

Correct me if I am wrong, but repeated approaches to the elastic limit will introduce a phenomenon called "work hardening", where as the material increases in brittleness over time and the elastic modulus gradually decreases. This would slightly increase the odds of breaching the yield strength and causing catastrophic failure.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Correct me if I am wrong, but repeated approaches to the elastic limit will introduce a phenomenon called "work hardening", where as the material increases in brittleness over time and the elastic modulus gradually decreases. This would slightly increase the odds of breaching the yield strength and causing catastrophic failure.
Yep, you're right. It's also called cold working, as long as it is performed correctly. You're effectively trading elasticity for strength, and the material becomes more brittle. The graph on the left shows the effects cold working has.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
So if you hit the goal, you gonna keep it there for a while and entertain us w/ some street vids?

I take it your proprietary fueling solution is up and running?
My GoPro won't be back from warranty replacement until Wednesday. I took a phone video today on the dyno going 1st-4th but I have too much to focus on when ripping it on the street. In due time, in due time.

The fuel system is still completely stock, 500whp was me just dicking around. The car did make some good power today but we finally found the limit of the factory fuel system on E30. I think we are going to make a switch to some "other" fuel ;) and see what it will do.

I have already started the process of manufacturing the first prototype fuel system upgrade for testing. Hope to have it up and running in 1-2 weeks and breach the 500whp mark for real this time.

Sponsored

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
I must say from all I have seen so far you guys are doing some outstanding work! Once I get my EBM there will be many MAP parts inside. I am really looking forward to the coolant tank/catch can which is genius! Living in Canada presents a large struggle on keeping catch cans and their lines from freezing as happened on my last vehicle and caused a fair amount of damage. Glad to see you guys are the only ones who admit there is a problem when you see a week straight of -22 degrees Fahrenheit. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
I must say from all I have seen so far you guys are doing some outstanding work! Once I get my EBM there will be many MAP parts inside. I am really looking forward to the coolant tank/catch can which is genius! Living in Canada presents a large struggle on keeping catch cans and their lines from freezing as happened on my last vehicle and caused a fair amount of damage. Glad to see you guys are the only ones who admit there is a problem when you see a week straight of -22 degrees Fahrenheit. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!
Thank you! The catch can is being pushed off for the moment, we need to finalize our fuel system upgrades and get caught up on turbo kit orders!

Soon though, soon!

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
Thank you! The catch can is being pushed off for the moment, we need to finalize our fuel system upgrades and get caught up on turbo kit orders!

Soon though, soon!
Well if I can suggest something, when designing the catch can you please put a nice check valve in the line coming from the PCV so that the stock one can be gutted or even removed with a different PCV baffle plate. This should help increase vacuum in the crank case.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Well if I can suggest something, when designing the catch can you please put a nice check valve in the line coming from the PCV so that the stock one can be gutted or even removed with a different PCV baffle plate. This should help increase vacuum in the crank case.
You'll have to see what we come up with ;)

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Update:

Car is down to finalize jigging for fuel system, then we start testing. Here is a quick snapshot of what we are working on!

We will be testing this on the factory motor and the same power level (500whp) but looking to swing in fuel heavy to make sure it works properly. We will make the switch to E85 to see if there is going to be enough fuel with the injectors that we are utilizing in the kit.

Once we get it 100% ironed out we will be swapping the engine out of the car for our built sleeved engine with our ported head. We are looking to make some serious power in the near future!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.