Sponsored

2016 Camaro: How will Ford respond

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Well things don't look good for Ford, looks like camaro will be taking advantage of the lt1 engine and 8 speed trans, better mpg, better torque and hp! The one advantage the mustang had over the camaro was weight and i can say that is gone too so i m not sure what Ford was thinking, time will tell!
All FUD until anything is announced officially. LT1 is the only thing I will give as a more than likely.
Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Wait so you are saying lt1 in a regular camaro ss is not comparable to a regular mustang gt? You can't compare a gt350 to an ss my friend, maybe a new zl1 or z28 but the ss and gt are always been apples to apples its as simple as that!
Ah sorry didn't realize the SS was getting the LT1 I thought Chevy was saving that for the ZL1 and Z28. If that's the case then I retract my statement. Should be a fun few years Though. Ford came out first giving Chevy the first year advantage but Ford may have more up their sleeve year 2.

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Typically the Camaro gets a "de-tuned" version of the corvette engine. I'm not sure about all of these claims of that car losing a ton of weight. To do that they would either have to make it significantly smaller, or start using some "exotic" materials, such as carbon fiber, magnesium, etc, and this would drive the price up quickly. I think it will come in close to the same weight as the current car. Either way, will be interesting to see.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Let me clarify things here lt1 is the direct injected 6.2 liter engine currently existing in the regular stingray and camaro ss main powerplant! It cam produce up to 460hp and 450 lbft of torque i think! The camaro might have the detuned version of this engine, but i don't think below 450hp! So in next two years either Ford is going to boost the gt to around 450 hp which it currently should have been or put the detuned or straight version of the 5.2 voodoo in a regular gt while taking the gt350 out of production replacing with gt500! Aluminum body will be in the future as well! Competition is getting really tough!

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I definitely thought that Ford would counter some with the 2016's...I hope we see some minor improvements across the board.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any idea how LT1s are responding to bolt ons and tunes? I don't really care about stock numbers... I really don't care about the figures as is but I am a little curious to see how it's been doing in the C7.

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Let me clarify things here lt1 is the direct injected 6.2 liter engine currently existing in the regular stingray and camaro ss main powerplant! It cam produce up to 460hp and 450 lbft of torque i think! The camaro might have the detuned version of this engine, but i don't think below 450hp! So in next two years either Ford is going to boost the gt to around 450 hp which it currently should have been or put the detuned or straight version of the 5.2 voodoo in a regular gt while taking the gt350 out of production replacing with gt500! Aluminum body will be in the future as well! Competition is getting really tough!
I'm pretty sure the Camaro doesn't have the LT1.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how LT1s are responding to bolt ons and tunes? I don't really care about stock numbers... I really don't care about the figures as is but I am a little curious to see how it's been doing in the C7.
very good. You can get 500 hp with tunes and exhaust.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
very good. You can get 500 hp with tunes and exhaust.
At the wheels? Or at the crank.

I'm not sure how useful it is to go by different dynos since they can read high and low, but from what I've seen on this forum, some GTs with intake, tune, and headers back are putting down 420-430 to the wheels which would be right around 500 at the crank.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
500 at the crank. Everyone likes to refer to hp at the crank instead of wheels which is what matters.

About the same are the Mustang with basic mods making 440-450 at the wheels.

And no, I don't think Ford needs to respond and play a HP game. No one knows yet, beyond mere rumors, what the Camaro will weigh. The 2015 SS with a 6.2L only made 426hp, less than the 5.0. All we have are rumors and speculation that the Camaro lost weight- similar to the Mustang which didn't when finally displayed.

Even with the LS1, Chevy will cannibalize its Stingray sales making the SS close in performance. Even though the LS1 in the Stringray makes 460, I wouldn't expect the Camaro to.

Last edited:

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
500 at the crank. Everyone likes to refer to hp at the crank instead of wheels which is what matters.

About the same are the Mustang with basic mods making 440-450 at the wheels.
HP wise maybe, but the LT1 has a 460 lbft torque in stock, if the engine is mod friendly you can get 500 hp and 500 lbft at the same time which might even be comparable to a Voodoo! I m not sure if high rev Voodoo is going to have even 460 lbft of torque in stock forget about Coyote!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
HP wise maybe, but the LT1 has a 460 lbft torque in stock, if the engine is mod friendly you can get 500 hp and 500 lbft at the same time which might even be comparable to a Voodoo! I m not sure if high rev Voodoo is going to have even 460 lbft of torque in stock forget about Coyote!
Read my above edits. Chevy is not likely going to cannibalize their Stingray sales to the Camaro. The corvette has always been the highest performer in their lineup.

That is also assuming that it is an identical LS1 (and header/exhaust system) to the Corvette which I doubt with cost considerations. The current V8 SS already has a MUCH higher entry price into a V8 than a 5.0 Mustang- $2300 more (basing both on MSRP) so increasing the SS price more, while trying to modernize the interior with tech and better materials, really isn't a likely option for them to keep sales up.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
From what I recall based on looking at the corvette forums, an LT1 with intake, headers, and tune puts down ~450 to the wheels, maybe a little more. Seems to be around 400-410 stock.

IMO it's about 15-20 HP more than a Coyote with similar mods. It also gains quite a bit with cams (or rather, cam).

It's true that the LT1 makes awesome torque. It's a big displacement engine with a pretty high compression ratio, so that's not too surprising. It does fall off a little up top, more than the Coyote from what I've seen. Still, should be very good for performance on the street due to the ample low end.

For those who like automatics, I'm sure GM will use the 8-speed as well. Overall, I think the Camaro will have a powertrain advantage for a while.

At some point I think Ford will need to increase displacement to compete (or increase revs, but I feel that will be too expensive). I therefore wouldn't be surprised to see a cross-plane 5.2 engine at some point, making around 450 HP.

I think GM might have a bit of a handling advantage, but much of that will come down to the number of options they would offer. Given how hard GM has been pushing the handling angle, I think they will be working hard to make sure the new Camaro is closer in performance to the outgoing 1LE than to the original 5th Gen SS that was regarded as being an understeering pig.

Overall, I think the Camaro will be a great car, and will probably win magazine comparisons over the Mustang. Will be exciting to see what Ford ends up doing.

-T
Sponsored