Key fob/door locking

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
nothing really to worry about since you have your spare key in the house, no?
Sponsored

mustangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium, Race Red
Unless your house keys are hooked on to your car keys and you've already locked your house.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
yeah i guess if you really have the habit of locking the house while youre outside washing the car

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
you can intentionally lock by touching over the top part of the door handle.
You most likely touched the little lines on the top of the handle which lock the car. You can wait a couple of minutes then grab the door handle and it will unlock automatically.

Key phrase here is "wait a couple of minutes". Manual explains more on how this works.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Not that this helps but there is no reason to ever take the fob out of your pocket when you are using the car. That is one of the best features of the past two cars I have had. Now if I could install intelligent access on my house I would never take the fob out of my picket.
I take the fob out of my pocket only in two circumstances:

When I'm wearing tailored suits that aren't designed to comfortably have bulky things in the pocket while you're sitting down,

When I'm going through a mechanical carwash where you have to get out of the car while it goes through the machine, since I've read that some cars will auto-lock the doors when the key is far away, and then the attendant can't get in to the car as it rolls off the line and it can roll into traffic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

13GTCSMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR/GT/20's/NAV
You most likely touched the little lines on the top of the handle which lock the car. You can wait a couple of minutes then grab the door handle and it will unlock automatically.

Key phrase here is "wait a couple of minutes". Manual explains more on how this works.
That would explain how the doors locked, but not why they would not unlock themselves. I waited about 15 minutes and tried again, still locked. Even when my roommate brought the extra fob, I had him park a little ways from my car and I tried the doors, still locked. 2nd fob opened them right up. Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to experience and never leave the fob in the car unless I'm in it too.
Thanks to everyone for all the comments and help though.

:cheers: Cheers to our new babies!!!!!!!

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I experimented yesterday. I sat in my car after I had shut it off. After several minutes the car locked itself even with the FOB sitting in the cup holder.

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
That doesn't help if you're away from the house and the e-key gets locked in the car.

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Smart Unlocks

This feature helps to prevent you from unintentionally locking your intelligent access key inside your vehicle’s passenger compartment or luggage compartment. When you electronically lock your vehicle (with any door open, vehicle in park and ignition off), your vehicle searches for an intelligent access key in the passenger compartment after you close the last door. If your vehicle finds a key, all of the doors immediately unlock and the horn sounds twice, indicating that a key is inside.

You can override the smart unlock feature and intentionally lock the intelligent access key inside your vehicle. To do this, lock your vehicle after you have closed all the doors
by:

• Using the keyless entry keypad.
• Pressing the lock button on another
intelligent access key.
• Touching the locking area on the handle with another intelligent access key in your hand. When you open one of the front doors and lock your vehicle using the power door lock control, all doors lock then unlock if:
• The ignition is on.
• The ignition is off and your vehicle is not in P.

So:
(1) is this feature active by default?
(2) What is meant by
"electronically lock" your vehicle (with any door open, vehicle in park and ignition off"? I lock my car using the keyfob when the 2 doors are closed. I thought the doors automatically locked and the alarm system armed after I walked away from the car?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I experimented yesterday. I sat in my car after I had shut it off. After several minutes the car locked itself even with the FOB sitting in the cup holder.
I see the pros to this. But not sure I like it, even a little bit.

Going to have to do some experimenting on my own.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
interesting, maybe thats what happened to the OP

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
the carwash is a good point. i havent gone thru one yet but now this is getting me worried. do you just leave the key in the cupholder for them, or do you keep it in your pocket

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
the carwash is a good point. i havent gone thru one yet but now this is getting me worried. do you just leave the key in the cupholder for them, or do you keep it in your pocket
I drop them in the cupholder when it goes through the wash.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
from what i recall on my wife's nissan sentra, that's what i do too. it's just that these guys are getting me worried getting their keys locked inside. now i feel like ill have to bring my spare to the carwash every time.

DonLafond

1 Happy Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not that this helps but there is no reason to ever take the fob out of your pocket when you are using the car. That is one of the best features of the past two cars I have had. Now if I could install intelligent access on my house I would never take the fob out of my picket.
+1
Sponsored