Upgrading P1X to…

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Thank you for pulling this thread back to the original topic. Still had quality discussions but yes back to the original question:

Would I need to upgrade my P1X to a D1X (or go bigger) for a solid 850-900w everyday street car with the abilities of pulleying down, loading a more aggressive tune -if needed- and hitting that magic 1000w mark while running some low times in the 1/4 without the need of additional work; just solely on cfm. At least thats what the original intention was.

Now with some great incite and individuals who have already managed this task, the consensus is… no. At least, not without diving into more engine work to help multiply the outcome - I.E., head porting, increased valve size, cams, compression, to even RPMs, etc. So the truth on the matter is the P1X CAN bet high horsepower figures but only if it has additional help…

With that, it does seem like a D1X could possible be better but it wouldn’t be a ‘night and day’ difference aside form “possibly” at max rpm (as my engine sits, with no internal work done), see 1000w but then it’s out of steam. Of course, like above, if I start touching engine parts it would only perform better and hit my goal plus some.
The reality is that the amount of time you spend at 7500 RPM is very minimal. I'd even suggest that you do put the 3.25 pulley on, knowing that at 7500 RPM engine speed, you will slightly overspin it (according to Procharger anyway) These moments of "overspinning it" won't hurt it at all. This way you get more boost sooner, more torque lower in the RPM range, and more useable power below the curve. You wont have to ring it out to 7500 RPM on every shift to "feel the power" If you really want to see 900 wheel, You need the bigger blower.

The stock heads can support over that without doing any cams, valve work etc. you just need to shove more air and fuel down its throat. Even with the D1X, pulley it so that it provides more low down power, which will make it more fun on the street. If your plan is to build a drag car that lives at 7500 RPM, plan on that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The reality is that the amount of time you spend at 7500 RPM is very minimal. I'd even suggest that you do put the 3.25 pulley on, knowing that at 7500 RPM engine speed, you will slightly overspin it (according to Procharger anyway) These moments of "overspinning it" won't hurt it at all. This way you get more boost sooner, more torque lower in the RPM range, and more useable power below the curve. You wont have to ring it out to 7500 RPM on every shift to "feel the power" If you really want to see 900 wheel, You need the bigger blower.

The stock heads can support over that without doing any cams, valve work etc. you just need to shove more air and fuel down its throat. Even with the D1X, pulley it so that it provides more low down power, which will make it more fun on the street. If your plan is to build a drag car that lives at 7500 RPM, plan on that.
You're right. Come early March I'll have the time to add on the pulley and finish my fuel system (as well as adding on other items). I am just looking for a 'fun & angry' streetcar; it's even worse when it's your hobby, I have the money to upgrade to a D1X, and I have friends with Hellcat/Redeye's, 5.8L GT500's and boosted Corvette's which I just want to slap down. LOL

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
You're right. Come early March I'll have the time to add on the pulley and finish my fuel system (as well as adding on other items). I am just looking for a 'fun & angry' streetcar; it's even worse when it's your hobby, I have the money to upgrade to a D1X, and I have friends with Hellcat/Redeye's, 5.8L GT500's and boosted Corvette's which I just want to slap down. LOL
Yessir. pulley down. Make damn sure you have enough fuel.

The sooner you start making boost, the more torque it will make down low, to get that porky Mustang moving. Anything with a PD blower is gonna get you at first, but the HP you make up top will run away from them. (The Vette certainly has the weight advantage)

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox

You're correct on that top section. OP should keep in mind that there is a trade off when moving to d1x. Low and midrange power is weak in comparison but high rpm rips. Kinda like a lightswitch.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You're correct on that top section. OP should keep in mind that there is a trade off when moving to d1x. Low and midrange power is weak in comparison but high rpm rips. Kinda like a lightswitch.
Ok I'm not too new to this, but I can't see a D1X being weaker than a P1X unless I completely lug the blower. Come on now. Lol

I've have various power adders throughout the years on many MANY cars, and obviously anything has it's ups and downs - seen more in turbo cars, but I cannot see the D1X underperforming at the same boost level as a P1X at 'any' rpm.

And, no, I'm not trying to compare this at say 10psi. Sorry, I can't agree to this "Low and midrange power is weak" statement, unless the D1X is so underneath it's efficient range where the P1X is that much better. But like anything else, we're here picking the right size power-adder for the job. As in, I'm not looking to lug an F1A-94 at 800w.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I think it’s entirely possible to make 1000whp on a p1x with a nice engine/heads combo. As to what it would take that s197 to go high 7s on a p1x race build idk.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think it’s entirely possible to make 1000whp on a p1x with a nice engine/heads combo. As to what it would take that s197 to go high 7s on a p1x race build idk.
What's the most you dynoed with your setup? 850?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Ok I'm not too new to this, but I can't see a D1X being weaker than a P1X unless I completely lug the blower. Come on now. Lol

I've have various power adders throughout the years on many MANY cars, and obviously anything has it's ups and downs - seen more in turbo cars, but I cannot see the D1X underperforming at the same boost level as a P1X at 'any' rpm.

And, no, I'm not trying to compare this at say 10psi. Sorry, I can't agree to this "Low and midrange power is weak" statement, unless the D1X is so underneath it's efficient range where the P1X is that much better. But like anything else, we're here picking the right size power-adder for the job. As in, I'm not looking to lug an F1A-94 at 800w.
The d1x has a weak low and midrange but rips up top. I've had it, ran it with a bunch of different pulleys. But don't take my word for it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The d1x has a weak low and midrange but rips up top. I've had it, ran it with a bunch of different pulleys. But don't take my word for it.
You’re right, I should agree. Just others have reported otherwise which leaves me with a disconnect.

How soft was the timing within this range? My 724w dyno had impressive numbers for pump but it was a turd. Once I got the car back and looked at the logs I was under 13 degrees of timing until 6k where he ramped it to 19 degrees. So… how much is blower in comparison to tune.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Either way, unlike myself, you had on-hands experience. That means a lot, vs those who speculate (like me).

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
You’re right, I should agree. Just others have reported otherwise which leaves me with a disconnect.

How soft was the timing within this range? My 724w dyno had impressive numbers for pump but it was a turd. Once I got the car back and looked at the logs I was under 13 degrees of timing until 6k where he ramped it to 19 degrees. So… how much is blower in comparison to tune.
Can't remember the tune details, but my car is set on kill 24x7. I went from maxed out p1sc running 9.0 at 150, directly to d1x running 8.35 at 165. When driving around town I noticed the d1x lacked low and midrange power, but had tons of power up top. I had to give alot of throttle to achieve the same acceleration versus smaller blower, then the power comes on hard. Which is why i said its like a lightswitch. It is what it is.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
13 degrees of timing until 6k where he ramped it to 19 degrees
You cant have both boost and timing on pump gas. And really, you shouldn't even be considering turning it up at all, until you are running E85. 91/93 octane gasoline is just asking for problems.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Can't remember the tune details, but my car is set on kill 24x7. I went from maxed out p1sc running 9.0 at 150, directly to d1x running 8.35 at 165. When driving around town I noticed the d1x lacked low and midrange power, but had tons of power up top. I had to give alot of throttle to achieve the same acceleration versus smaller blower, then the power comes on hard. Which is why i said its like a lightswitch. It is what it is.
Oh gotcha! Shit, 15mph more on the top end, badass.
Sponsored