Sponsored

Do Carts and Mowers Count?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Last night, I sent an email to Stihl Australia in regard to finding out the production date for the 028 AV Super. To my surprise, thay had responded by 9.30am this morning.

My original estimates had the saw being made from about 1988 to 1990. After attempting to decode the serial number myself, I sent an email to Stihl with the serial number and asked if they could give me a production date and location.

Due to the age of the machine, they could only give me the production date. The saw would have been made in either the Virginia Beach USA factory or the Waiblingen Germany factory in May 1986.

So, a little bit older than I had thought. In fact, it's only 6 months younger than I am.

IMG_7651.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Talk about coincidence, D I picked up a new chain for my Husky YESTERDAY and got her ready for this year's work. I cleaned her up but didn't do a detail job so she isn't as pretty as Miss Stihl. :cool:

Anyway, the really funny thing is...when I put the saw away in the back building, I saw an old black case in a corner that I had obviously completely forgotten about. It was another chainsaw and when I opened it, I remembered. This was the first one I bought LONG ago. Years later a friend bought the Husky and when he moved, he passed it on and of course, completely forgot about the little 16" McCullogh!

The primer bulb was hard as a rock and broke when I pressed it but, if I get ambitious, I might just try and get her running again.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
McCullogh!

They have a history that goes back to the '60s. The motor was a huge favorite found on the fast go-karts, screaming 10k rpm. The karts would be the gt500s of go-karts.

I did have a McCullogh chain saw also some years back, wore it out.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The parts have started to arrive for the Rover Combat.

Before I dive into the mechanicals, I'm waiting until the new fuel tank arrives. The old tank is leaking it's contents over a 24-hour period, so I want to sort that out before I pull the carby to pieces.

Arriving today was the carby kit, replacement fuel line and clips, spark plug and handlebar knobs.

The old Rover knobs had cracked, limiting their ability to tighten properly.

IMG-7794.jpg

These aftermarket items are similar to the ones fitted to my ProCut.

IMG-7798.jpg

Because of the reversed orientation of the handle bar on the Combat over the ProCut, I had to fit them on the inside. Either way, it's given some rigidity back to the handle.

IMG-7800.jpg

The spark plug fitted was the classic Champion CJ8, in decent condition.

IMG-7805.jpg

The modern replacement is the Champion J19LM, the plug fitted to the later versions of the flat head engines.

IMG-7803.jpg

I also went around and tightened the cylinder head bolts. These have a habit of backing out over time, especially around the exhaust valve. I'm glad I did as most were needing some extra torque, again, especially the exhaust side.

IMG-7810.jpg

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
..a huge favorite found on the fast go-karts
Oh yeah, Greg. I was a teenager in the '60's and my next door neighbor took me to one of those races. Those karts would haul butt for sure and they were direct drive, too. Pick the rear end up, give it shove and let go. BAM! That cart would shoot away like a bullet. :-) LOVED the sound of those little motors.

The parts have started to arrive for the Rover Combat.
I don't know if you jinxed my Scag or not, D <grinning> but I just had it in the shop for a damn oil leak and my guy found the governor seal leaking. Fixed and she came back home but a week later, I saw more oil on the shed floor. Back to the mechanic and it wasn't the governor seal again, this time it was in the top end. The top crank seal and a faulty PVC cover gasket. He had to order the parts, (of course they weren't available locally with this supply chain we have now,) but they should be here this week and I may get my girl back in time for the next mowing day. :cool:

I wish I had found this fella YEARS ago as he definitely knows what he's doing and even sent photos. He also charges to LITTLE. :-) It's a 19HP Kawasaki.

1678795438452.png

1678795521761.png

She still looks nice and clean internally even if she was a bit grungy around the edges. :-)

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I know, another lawn mower post, but I did use a few detailing products to do this little job.

For whatever reason, Victa don't fit a soft grip handle on their commercial range of mowers. That includes the MasterCut utility, the 19 and 21 inch Commercial models and the Mulchmaster. When you consider a Mulchmaster costs $1899 AUD, this seems like a strange and stingy oversight.

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/product-catalog/professional/lawn-mowers/mulchmaster-560.html

vmm101.jpg

These mowers are dedicated mulching and side discharge machines. They were once available in push and self-propelled guises fitted with the strong 160cc Victa 2-stroke engine, Honda GXV160 or Briggs & Stratton Vanguard DOV 161cc engines. They are now only available with the Briggs 190cc 850 engine and self-propel, the same spec as mine. As a lawn contractor, in the right conditions these mowers can save considerable time. Time is money and all.

So, it's quite an odd oversight that even the entry level Victa's come with a soft grip handle.

c500is100.jpg

This might seem like a trivial issue, but you certainly notice the absence of the padding with extended use. My solution has been to apply bike handlebar wrapping -

IMG-0422.jpg

I can't remember when I applied this but renewing it had been on the to-do list for a while.

IMG-7773.jpg

After removing the old tape, it was time to apply the new stuff, which was purchased from Amazon.

IMG-7777.jpg

Removing the old tape left some adhesive residue, so it was out with the Eulex and a shop towel. This stuff is pretty potent and has a high evaporation rate, but it simply melts away glue and adhesive residue. I then followed that with some Gyeon Prep to remove any lingering Eulex residue.

IMG-7780.jpg

IMG-7782.jpg

I then applied the new tape. This stuff comes in a roll with a strip of adhesive tape running up the center. You then wrap the tape over the handlebar in an overlapping pattern.

IMG-7784.jpg

IMG-7786.jpg

Much better looking, and certainly more comfortable to hold.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Call me crazy, but I look forward to your latest endeavors every morning, D. <smiling> This one was no exception and while I have also done my share of handlebar wrapping, I would not have thought to use it on a mower but what a perfect solution.

When I was still using a walk-behind here, they often had mediocre quality foam on the handle that as you well know, would wear out in short order. Stupid me would wrap the failing foam in duct tape but it too wouldn't last long.

In the Navy we would say, "Good headwork" on the wrap. :-)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This mower was bought in 87, Yazoo is the brand, was made in Yazoo Mississippi, company is long gone now.

Wisconsin 15hp, 28" cut, 1-hour mows an acre of land. Use high test, winter close the petcock run the carb dry & store.

Spring 2 pulls if fires, it weighs 200lbs, bicycle grips factory, never replaced.

DSC_0010.JPG

Need some humor to mow the land.
DSC_0012.JPG

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know, another lawn mower post, but I did use a few detailing products to do this little job.

For whatever reason, Victa don't fit a soft grip handle on their commercial range of mowers. That includes the MasterCut utility, the 19 and 21 inch Commercial models and the Mulchmaster. When you consider a Mulchmaster costs $1899 AUD, this seems like a strange and stingy oversight.

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/product-catalog/professional/lawn-mowers/mulchmaster-560.html

vmm101.jpg

These mowers are dedicated mulching and side discharge machines. They were once available in push and self-propelled guises fitted with the strong 160cc Victa 2-stroke engine, Honda GXV160 or Briggs & Stratton Vanguard DOV 161cc engines. They are now only available with the Briggs 190cc 850 engine and self-propel, the same spec as mine. As a lawn contractor, in the right conditions these mowers can save considerable time. Time is money and all.

So, it's quite an odd oversight that even the entry level Victa's come with a soft grip handle.

c500is100.jpg

This might seem like a trivial issue, but you certainly notice the absence of the padding with extended use. My solution has been to apply bike handlebar wrapping -

IMG-0422.jpg

I can't remember when I applied this but renewing it had been on the to-do list for a while.

IMG-7773.jpg

After removing the old tape, it was time to apply the new stuff, which was purchased from Amazon.

IMG-7777.jpg

Removing the old tape left some adhesive residue, so it was out with the Eulex and a shop towel. This stuff is pretty potent and has a high evaporation rate, but it simply melts away glue and adhesive residue. I then followed that with some Gyeon Prep to remove any lingering Eulex residue.

IMG-7780.jpg

IMG-7782.jpg

I then applied the new tape. This stuff comes in a roll with a strip of adhesive tape running up the center. You then wrap the tape over the handlebar in an overlapping pattern.

IMG-7784.jpg

IMG-7786.jpg

Much better looking, and certainly more comfortable to hold.
I hate wrapping bars, but there is something quite satisfying with getting it just right and matching the number of turns from one side to the other :sunglasses:

I don’t run bar tape on my road bike, but here’s a few I have wrapped for friends :

1679257662815.jpeg

1679257700833.jpeg

WD :like:

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Yazoo is the brand
That is one serious mower, Greg and it reminds me of the US brand, Wheelhorse, that I BELIEVE Toro bought a couple two or three decades ago. VERY popular at the time.

And 28" is only a foot short of my zero turn cutting deck so no surprise that thing can chew up some lawn quickly.

Thanks for the photo, I think we all love "cool machines." :-)

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is one serious mower, Greg and it reminds me of the US brand, Wheelhorse, that I BELIEVE Toro bought a couple two or three decades ago. VERY popular at the time.

And 28" is only a foot short of my zero turn cutting deck so no surprise that thing can chew up some lawn quickly.

Thanks for the photo, I think we all love "cool machines." :-)

Yes, it is amazing the machines made and the purposes for them.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Gypsies and traveling communities..if we have such things in the US, I've never seen them. 'Course, you're closer to Transylvania than I, amigo. <BIG grin>
Spotted these on the road today and thought of you, so I got my daughter to snap some photos as we drove past :

1680472263296.jpeg

1680472312293.jpeg

I’ve seen that style of van before very close to the same location as that photo - parked up on the verge, horse tethered to a tree, whilst the family had something to eat :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
MY apologies for the late response, WD but I took a little vacation to Cape Cod with friends..

But the carriage and propulsion are AMAZING! What a history you have in GB and many thanks for the photos.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Better grab one quick before they run out.
Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 10.07.23 PM.png
Sponsored