OP
OP
First Stang

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I wouldn't say limited run, but otherwise those are good reasons. My biggest complaint about s650 is that it's not really significantly changing anything. So you'll be just as happy rolling down the road in an s550.
I was factoring in the reduced production due to the pandemic supply chain issues. The half year run for 23 that Im reading about. Other potential buyers opting instead for the s650. And now the current inflation/recession restricting demand. Not necessarily a colllector level limited run but somewhat diminished numbers compared to normal production years.

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
Speaking of the type R. I was on the same boat. Just got a call back from a dealer asking 30k markup in addition to 44k msrp. Really glad I went M1.
Bahahaha.

yup thatā€™s what I figured. 74k for a civic. Not going to happen. In all honesty if the new M3ā€™s werenā€™t so ugly up front at that point I would likely go in that direction.

Continue to be happy with my choice, hopefully I donā€™t get screwed in the production run limit numbers.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Speaking of the type R. I was on the same boat. Just got a call back from a dealer asking 30k markup in addition to 44k msrp. Really glad I went M1.
$74k. For a HONDA CIVIC. Sweet Christmas thatā€™s insane.

OP
OP
First Stang

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I think all the the civic forums are going ablaze today. My impression is that since each dealership gets one or two per boatload from Japan, they are gonna make buyers bid on it. Thats what I would do. One dealershipā€™s salesman even told me under the table that the manager wanted one so you know the connected ones will get it first. Expecting something similar with the Dark Horse due to its rarity at the start.

Sponsored

Gregdd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
23 green mach1 manual p0022
I waited for the 24. Currently have an 03. Thinking this was going to be like the 05 a big deal. After seeing the interior of the 24 I ordered a 23. This tablet dash stuff is a short fad. Knobs will be a big seller in 2030.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I won`t even bother with any specialty car now of days. They are way to hard to get and often marked up.

So far I have had a really positive experience custom ordering with Ford. Even though it takes a long time. I get the car I want and never overpay. I will also mention my parents, and a few friend ordered a new car with BMW. They also had positive experiences. My boss even ordered a brand new M8 with zero markup or forced addons.

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
put 350 miles on my 2022 today.
i'll pass on the video game displays.
Yep. Saw the 2024 unveiling. Looked over at my wife and said: I really want to buy another S550 (got rid of my last one about 2 years ago) before I canā€™t get one new anymore. She said go for it, and Iā€™m already 3000-miles deep into a 2022 in less than a month. Loving it.

As has been said: beyond the subjective stuff, like looks, there just isnā€™t enough ā€œnewā€ to bother with waiting, inflation, and the inevitable mark-ups. The looks and the powertrain options are like a mid-gen refresh and the interior is a disaster. Easy choice to get a ā€˜22 right now for me.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
All I can say is anyone buying an S650, have fun trying to upgrade the stereo system (itā€™s part of that hokey display) and have fun trying to do anything ā€œForscanā€ relatedā€¦.

I think a lot of folks have it in their mind that the S650 will be as ā€œopenā€ as the S550 is as far as tinkering with the As Built, adding BCM, ACIM, modules, and options that were not part of the ā€œAs Builtā€ā€¦ but itā€™s going to be an eye opener when the car shuts down due to tampering. Itā€™s already been stated by Ford that if the PCM is tampered with it can shut down other parts of the vehicle.

Me personally, I wouldnā€™t buy an S650 at all because the whole dash assembly is just horrible lookingā€¦. No thought into the design of the dash at all. All of those displays could have been better integrated 100%. It looks like an afterthought rather than an integration.

This may be where the current Ford designers copied a previous dashboard design for the S650ā€¦. Looks pretty damn closeā€¦. LOL. šŸ˜†

1664952841518-jpeg.jpg

1664952873230-jpeg.jpg

1664952916962-jpeg.jpg

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Lane Assist however - that really is a negative step!
Spot on. Everytime I get behind the wheel of a vehicle, with lane assist, I can't figure out how that driver lives with. It's literally just like playing the arcade game, pong, and the car is the ball bouncing between the walls. Hopefully no one scores!

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
This may help others who are in a bubble like me a few days ago before I went with the mach 1 vs waiting on dark horse.

1. Proven and time tested design
2. Anticipated lower cost (inflation driven)
3. Tactile Toggle switches vs touch pad controls. When Im driving, I like to keep my eyes on the road.
4. Classic symmetric dash
5. Easier to tune. (Not factory locked)
6. More agressive front styling that looks like the classic era.
7. Limited run
8. Less ā€˜computerizedā€™. So less chances of glitching.
9. I want the car now and not later. With all the uncertainties around us, why wait?
OP, I pretty much agree with your rationale all the way around. Thing is, thereā€™s about as much important stuff we donā€™t know yet about the S650 as that which we do. Little things like AS/S, possible variable displacement, actual degree of potential digital hijacking by the mother ship and so on. Of course some of this potentially negative stuff could be offset by the promise of more horsepower. I personally donā€™t need any more hp and really have all I can keep harnessed right now, but that doesnā€˜t mean I wouldnā€™t consider a little more.

So I too went ahead and bought a ā€˜22 to go with my ā€˜20. Figured I could get out of it pretty easily if I found the ā€˜24s irresistible. Problem is, I like the ā€˜22 more and more every day I own it. Itā€™s really a great car.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
All I can say is anyone buying an S650, have fun trying to upgrade the stereo system (itā€™s part of that hokey display) and have fun trying to do anything ā€œForscanā€ relatedā€¦.

I think a lot of folks have it in their mind that the S650 will be as ā€œopenā€ as the S550 is as far as tinkering with the As Built, adding BCM, ACIM, modules, and options that were not part of the ā€œAs Builtā€ā€¦ but itā€™s going to be an eye opener when the car shuts down due to tampering. Itā€™s already been stated by Ford that if the PCM is tampered with it can shut down other parts of the vehicle.
Of course 99.9% of owners don't do this, so it isn't an issue for the vast majority.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yep. Saw the 2024 unveiling. Looked over at my wife and said: I really want to buy another S550 (got rid of my last one about 2 years ago) before I canā€™t get one new anymore. She said go for it, and Iā€™m already 3000-miles deep into a 2022 in less than a month. Loving it.

As has been said: beyond the subjective stuff, like looks, there just isnā€™t enough ā€œnewā€ to bother with waiting, inflation, and the inevitable mark-ups. The looks and the powertrain options are like a mid-gen refresh and the interior is a disaster. Easy choice to get a ā€˜22 right now for me.
I was the opposite. Having seen the S650 I thought the S550 looks old all of a sudden, which of course it is! I think the new shape is quite colour sensitive, the interior more modern. Hopefully the finish and quality of the interior moves up to at least current Ford European standards. It's a very different market over here where the Mustang is a large GT car, not a sports car, so is fighting against high quality opposition.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Life is too short to wait for a car you want.
I would buy something immediately available, if necessary pre-owned.
If, at some point, I find myself looking at an S650 that I like against all odds, I can always trade it in.
Sponsored