Sponsored

Reasons I ordered s550 vs waiting on s650

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
This may help others who are in a bubble like me a few days ago before I went with the mach 1 vs waiting on dark horse.

1. Proven and time tested design
2. Anticipated lower cost (inflation driven)
3. Tactile Toggle switches vs touch pad controls. When Im driving, I like to keep my eyes on the road.
4. Classic symmetric dash
5. Easier to tune. (Not factory locked)
6. More agressive front styling that looks like the classic era.
7. Limited run
8. Less ‘computerized’. So less chances of glitching.
9. I want the car now and not later. With all the uncertainties around us, why wait?
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Stang

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Thanks for that. Any additional post will surely help others make an informed decision.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
You forgot the electronic hand brake, the worst thing ever invented in the entire history of the automobile. No, make it second worst. The auto stop/start must be the worst - you forgot that, too. :)
You forgot all the hybrid things to cheat emission tests.... Mild-hybrid, Full Hybrid, Full Hybrid Plug In... how these should be rated? :crackup:

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
This may help others who are in a bubble like me a few days ago before I went with the mach 1 vs waiting on dark horse.

3. Tactile Toggle switches vs touch pad controls. When Im driving, I like to keep my eyes on the road.
7. Limited run
9. I want the car now and not later. With all the uncertainties around us, why wait?
The computerization thing is much more apparent than what it really is, to my eyes.
Let me explain: they just moved the APIM screen and modified the dash to make them more "in line with time", betraying what should be the styling of a Mustang.
I don't really think the content of the technology really increased; they are just virtue signaling it by forcing you to look at them (and decreasing costs by removing switches).

I much preferred a more classic design and I agree with most of the reasons you provided.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The computerization thing is much more apparent than what it really is, to my eyes.
Let me explain: they just moved the APIM screen and modified the dash to make them more "in line with time", betraying what should be the styling of a Mustang.
I don't really think the content of the technology really increased; they are just virtue signaling it by forcing you to look at them (and decreasing costs by removing switches).

I much preferred a more classic design and I agree with most of the reasons you provided.
Exactly this. The S650 is not significantly 'more computerised' than the S550

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You forgot the electronic hand brake, the worst thing ever invented in the entire history of the automobile. No, make it second worst. The auto stop/start must be the worst - you forgot that, too. :)
Neither bother me at all, in fact on the Mustang an electronic parking brake will be MUCH better than the stupid lever that looks like it came off a horse and cart. On RHD cars it really is awful.

Lane Assist however - that really is a negative step!

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)

7. Limited run
Pretty much my reasoning. From a fiscal standpoint it makes more sense for me to wait another 9 months or so but I'm not so much a fan of the new styling so far.

I was also looking at the Civic type R and GR corolla (my main stipulation was a manual transmission performance car, I fully understand all 3 of my choices have major differences). With the expected dealer markups I feel they'll all be near the Mach 1 pricing so after being able to test drive an EB and not finding anything I hated about the platform as this is my first Pony I pulled the order trigger on the M1.

Right now from what I can tell after 22 MY these are going the be the MT choices:
Chevy - None (Camero is dead)
Ford - GT & DH models
Cadillac - I think the Blackwing CTS's are dead after this year so none.
VW - GTI & R
BMW - base M3 (maybe, who knows they might kill MT completely)
Toyota - GR lineup, I think the other Corolla's also the option.
Honda - Civic TR and SI

Probably missing some but it's a sad, short list.

Sponsored

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Pretty much my reasoning. From a fiscal standpoint it makes more sense for me to wait another 9 months or so but I'm not so much a fan of the new styling so far.

I was also looking at the Civic type R and GR corolla (my main stipulation was a manual transmission performance car, I fully understand all 3 of my choices have major differences). With the expected dealer markups I feel they'll all be near the Mach 1 pricing so after being able to test drive an EB and not finding anything I hated about the platform as this is my first Pony I pulled the order trigger on the M1.

Right now from what I can tell after 22 MY these are going the be the MT choices:
Chevy - None (Camero is dead)
Ford - GT & DH models
Cadillac - I think the Blackwing CTS's are dead after this year so none.
VW - GTI & R
BMW - base M3 (maybe, who knows they might kill MT completely)
Toyota - GR lineup, I think the other Corolla's also the option.
Honda - Civic TR and SI

Probably missing some but it's a sad, short list.
BMW M2 might be the most direct competitor for folks like us who require a stick. Whether they’re priced similarly depends as much on dealer markups as anything else.
If you want a stick you gotta cross shop

willymo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
I wouldn't say limited run, but otherwise those are good reasons. My biggest complaint about s650 is that it's not really significantly changing anything. So you'll be just as happy rolling down the road in an s550.
This, is the main reason for me. Exterior/interior looks are subjective, and personally I like the classic design of the s550 inside and out.

When the s650 reveal happened, i was very excited about the dark horse as it's basically a mach 1, but then I realized how it's really not that different besides the styling + added gimmicks that I don't care for. Yes, the 5.0 V8 has 2 intakes and a little more HP but frankly 480hp is enough for me.

The only interesting thing about the s650 for me is the new steering rack, I wonder if we will be able to retrofit that into the s550.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I totally agree and why I ordered another S550. I could easily wait for the next generation right now if I wanted.

Overall I prefer the current generation. Couple things I really dislike about the new car is the tail lights, and interior. I also believe the gen 4 5.0L will have more emissions equipment.
Sponsored